Reviews for Broken
Thank you for another chapter to this great story. Thank you for staying with it, you are going a fantastic job. Take all the time you need to figure it out, the wait will be worth it. Take care and thanks again.
Celestra chapter 37 . 6/2
Sorry to hear about your health issues; hope they resolve soon and that you feel better! Of this chapter, my favourite passages were Stoick's first experience with flight; wonderful evocative descriptions that put this reader right into the scene. In any case, it looks as though you're poised to finish the last leg of this sooner rather than later - the final pieces are in place, though I know very well that it's difficult to END things and to do it satisfactorily. I have no doubt that you will be able to do so admirably, however :)
guestdragonnut chapter 37 . 5/31
The bow is a mighty and temperamental weapon. I made my own wooden compund bow, and while it did not kill me, it did make me stronger. As occurs with Astrid.
I ask no speed, only a story that stops when all is well in that world.
Pterodactyl chapter 37 . 5/31
The main difference in dealing with a compound bow to a traditional bow is the fact that a compound bow gets easier to pull after the point where you draw to it's fullest. A traditional bow always gets harder to pull the farther out you pull it until it snaps.

Different lengths of bows have different postures that you need to hold for firing. A standard bow, a stick with a handle, you will be adopting the 'Robin Hood' posture, same with English Recurves, which have some contouring at the ends to allow for a longer draw length.

The riding bows are almost always held horizontally to the torso, and the designs for these eventually turned into crossbows, these either are VERY long or rather short. The two styles are pulled back over the shoulder (japanese) or diagonally to your chest as it is assumed that you are aiming down at a footman from horseback.

A quick search for me got that norse were using primarily straight long bows for both hunting and warfare. Which means that Astrid would likely be taught a standing or crouched stance with an upright bow.

When riding I can imagine that for rotation's sake she will want to adopt a diagonal hold on the ironwood bow so that she can get it over her saddle in a cinch for aiming. The arrow needs to be on the top side of the bow, so if she's pulling with her right arm and she has the top arm off to the right as well the arrow will be notching above her pointer finger on her left hand.

Just so you know, compound bows, (with the gears and pulleys) are the only bows that have a 'notch point' where they get easier to pull after you hit it. This allows the people who shoot with them to aim more before they get tired of holding the arrow back. (why all of the world record best shots are done on compound bows)

However humans naturally have a point where their shoulders straighten to allow them to hold a bowstring taught for aiming. The muscle between your shoulder blades is actually the most important muscle for shooting, not your stomach core, which would be used for riding and most other activities.

As for what Astrid went through with the Ironwood bow, that sounds about right. It could have been worse, I got a scrape that was bleeding for almost an hour running the whole length of my arm from a sinew twine on a bow on a 30lbs draw. Hunting draw is at minimum 75, and the worlds hardest draw is right around 190lbs. Average for hunting used is 90. Modernly. These bows are almost ALL longbows. So you're in good company here.

Good luck, and even through your accidental inaccuracies I still enjoyed reading this, and I am looking forward to reading the conclusion.

RFYS!

Pterodactyl
This is a great story! Just one thing in this chapter: never rub ANYTHING, especially your fingers, over charcoal, and some certain pencils. The lines will smudge. I'm assuming the drawing was done in charcoal, since there were no pencils back then. Rubbing charcoalruined.
Celestra chapter 36 . 5/4
I totally know what you mean, when you are more or less in sync with someone and then realize "well maybe not after all!" - those little epiphanies can be important, whether they re-invigorate relationships or give one an awkward pause. Of course, we are just as interested as Hiccup is in understanding why Toothless (and Yellowbreath) don't regard Red Deaths as dragons in the same way as Kin, since we know they definitely have the same kind of sophisticated thought processes.. Good luck with the new job and hope to see more soon! :)
Move at your own pace, this is a great story. You put a lot of work into it, and it shows. Keep going, and thank you for a great story and for the new chapter. I am really looking forward to the rest of the story.
TheShadoWWorrior chapter 36 . 4/12
Don't get too stressed out. You are doing a great job with this story. I get Hiccup is under a lot of stress in this, but I feel like he'd be lighter hearted under it I guess, or have more of some kind of determination. I feel this way because in the movies no matter how bad the situation got, at some point he always fell back on a solid core of determination to carry him through. Kind of like his lowest point brings him up to his highest. Eg, in the first movie seeing the fleet sail away with toothless, to coming up with and carrying out the rescue plan, and in the second movie (Spoiler) Stoic's funeral, to his speech and getting toothless back. Just a thought.
Celestra chapter 35 . 3/3
I see that you followed up with what you mentioned before and went in for shorter but more frequent updates - glad to see it's working out! The scene with Astrid practising her shooting is deceptively important, showing that 'Hunger Games'-esque skills are acquired through practice, not magically. (I actually went battle-axe throwing a couple weeks ago, it's harder than Astrid makes it look). It also speaks to Hiccup's overall effect on the village that the Berkians are learning to value strategy and planning rather than headlong blunt force attacks. And Kettlecrack... *shakes head* that little troublemaker, lol.

Keep it up my friend! Looks like you're getting close to the finish line!
TheShadoWWorrior chapter 7 . 3/1
I don't think you should apologize for the seen. You made it flow so well that it just felt natural, and I could imagine myself feeling exactly the same way. Besides, the story wouldn't be the same without it.
Yes, very pleasantly surprised to see another update. Thank you. Good job and an interesting chapter, as always. Looking forward to the next...
toothlessgolfer chapter 35 . 3/1
I like how we get to see a bit more of Kettle's slow decline in that his ambition gradually adopts a suspicious slant toward others. I wonder if he will get a chance at redemption. Here's looking forward to the next installments.
Reviewer chapter 34 . 2/4
Whoa. That was a heck of a dream, there, Hiccup. I like reading about Stoick's revelations, a 'traditional' adult's point of view of just how much everything has changed and that not everyone deals with it so smoothly.
Can't wait to read more!
SidheWolf5 chapter 34 . 2/3
The wait may be agonizing but this fic is very much worth the wait! Another wonderful chapter!
Celestra chapter 34 . 2/3
I don't have anything particularly profound to say here except that it's gratifying to see all the players continuing to be put slowly into motion with their diverse array of conflicting motivations and desires... I wonder if the reptilian aspect of dragons will come into play or not and aid in Grimjaw's healing (growing new talons perhaps?) and I'm intrigued at the meaning behind Hiccup's puzzling dream... dragon dreams seem to be a common theme in this fandom, eh? :)

Carry on, good sir!