Reviews for Broken
toothlessgolfer chapter 44 . 6/3
A fitting denouement after the action of the last few chapters. It is so true that the best way to get very different peoples to understand each other is to have them live together. It is not so easy to hate someone when your children are friends with theirs. It's a lesson that is sorely needed in our world today.
The only negative thing at all about this is that there is only one more chapter to go. Thanks as always.
-tg
HawkTooth chapter 44 . 5/30
When stories come to an end, the best ones always leave questions yet to be answered; it keeps attention, and leaves the mind turning. Yours isn't over yet, so a few more things I am sure will be answered in this tale, but best to always leave something open as well at the end (no matter how frustrating it might seem from the reviews you get).
Easy to see we're on the downslide of this story, but the writing is no less intriguing. How Hiccup and company are finally going to break news to the rest of the village and how they're going to react to the news is a big part we're all probably waiting to see, not to mention how all the other side details are going to pan out.
Wonderful story, and a very good chapter. I am sad to see this story coming to an end, but at the same time excited to see its conclusion. This is a great story, and you are a wonderful writer. Thank you for all your hard work and time spent so we can read your tale. Amazing!
Pietersielie chapter 44 . 5/29
A simply beautiful story. I wish to claim that this penmanship is the literary equivalent of the best landscape artists out there. This chapter feels like the aftermath of a violent afternoon summer thunderstorm on the Highveld, turning the western sky into shards of royal blue, vermillion and fuchsia as the sun sets over the grasslands. The darkness has passed, there is a few laggard squalls to work through, but the full moon is rising bright with a promise of a bountiful harvest come the light of day. And that is just the feelings, nevermind the actual descriptive writing.

Thank you so much for this masterpiece you have deigned to share with us mere mortals. I am looking forward to the epilogue or whatever remains. It is sure to be brilliant.
anhedral chapter 43 . 4/23
I have to say, you really know how to punch a hole in a reader's day! The climax of your fine story is a single mammoth chapter that's longer than a good many other tales in their entirety, but I had no hesitation in setting aside other tasks and getting stuck into your update without delay.

There's so much going on here that I hardly know where to start.

Parallel themes run consistently through your work and add considerably to its strength. The first example that struck me in this chapter was the selfless attitude of the two Nadders, Flicktail and Swimmer, towards their respective bond-partners. We see it first with Flicktail at the start of proceedings; given the extended period that Astrid and her dragon have had together, the Nadder's behaviour at this point doesn't come as too much of a surprise. But then you reinforce the theme – massively so – by having Swimmer do even more for Stoick; and this despite the brevity of their acquaintance. The chief's reaction is telling: he sees her behaviour to be *more* heroic, *more* Viking-like, than could reasonably be expected of any ordinary human. What a great way to bring out this strength in draconic character – this is 'show, don't tell' done properly.

Later, of course, it is Mord's resplendent purple Nadder that (literally) snatches a little glory. It's hard not to feel a soft spot for these sharp-spined, colourful, characterful dragons that seem to boast the biggest hearts.

The second 'parallel theme' that carried the chapter for me happened during the near-simultaneous conversations between Hiccup/Anvindr and Toothless/Smoketail. In these passages, the different perspectives of the antagonists are cruelly laid bare. But you don't stop there. Instead, you allow both Anvindr and Smoketail to use Hiccup as leverage to try to achieve their own goals. In their desperation, anger and selfishness these two resort to similar tactics. That they both ultimately share the same fate makes for a satisfying symmetry.

The rescue of the wounded Nightmare was a poignant moment. You paint the scene so well that I can see it clearly in my mind. And I can't help wonder: what will be this dragon's fate at the end of the story? How successful will Freygerd's efforts be? Will the Nightmare even permit the elder to care for her? I am reminded of another long story, 'Legacy of Myth' by Norwesterner, in which severely disabled dragons and also humans form particularly strong bonds with able-bodied partners from the other species. There is powerful storytelling to be had in describing such bonds.

There are some examples of really good imagery in this chapter that had me yearning for more!

Smoketail: "Fear still gnawed at the lump of ice where his liver used to be."

Hiccup: "...like the creaking of a bow string being pulled taut."

Smoketail observing Toothless: "It looked like the ghostwing had a hole in his body that let the light of the sky pass through him."

And that wonderful word 'ichor'. An ancient word, reeking of potency, and your placement of it here was spot-on perfect. Blood of the gods and immortals, indeed!

The withdrawal of Cloudbiter's female part into herself had me confused and worried for a moment – just like the male side to that dragon, in fact. Without going back through the chapters, I can't quite recall if Cloudbiter is of breeding age. If so, I can understand the female's behaviour as a self-protection mechanism, preserving herself, with great internal strife, from Smoketail's influence. The reaction of her male counterpart was incredibly touching and had me thinking anew upon the biology and psychology of these unique dragons. I suppose the nearest thing we have in our known world would be Siamese twins.

And then Cloudbiter makes his/her executive decision. A great twist near the end of the chapter, and one I hadn't seem coming, not at all. I have to wonder if it's significant that you assign the plan with the addled eggs to the female. Perhaps she intuits more strongly than the male protagonists – her male counterpart, Toothless, Stoick – just how dangerous the ongoing presence of Smoketail is likely to be. Toothless is clearly outraged, and I have to wonder what sanction, if any, will be take against Cloudbiter in the concluding chapters to come.

A great cliffhanger to end. Hiccup blinded – is it temporary? If not, how will Toothless ever forgive himself? Will he ever bring himself to fly again? For that matter, how will he return to Berk?

Thank you very much, good, sir, for distracting me so thoroughly with this chapter!
toothlessgolfer chapter 43 . 4/8
Well, what a roller coaster this turned out to be. You know that feeling when you've reached the end of a very long and very good novel or story and you start to feel wistful? As if you wish it would never end and there would always be another episode or chapter to look forward to? Oh well, there are still two more to await. Hopefully it does not take another three months though...
I've said it before but I'll say it again, thank you for continuing to see this adventure through. I still think that this is the best HTTYD story currently outstanding.
Once again, thank you for your story and for your hard work. I have read this since you started it, and I really do appreciate your staying with this great story. I look forward to reading the rest of it. Thanks again.
HawkTooth chapter 43 . 4/3
So in the end we nearly have a solution to the problem faced on all sides, and then one single dragon breaks the truce...can't say I'm terribly happy with that result, but it mirrors the reality of the world well...
I am now concerned for Hiccup's condition; with all else he's gone through blindness is the last thing he should have to bear. I hope it's only temporary.
Pietersielie chapter 43 . 4/2
This... this is an intense chapter... weergh! Physically exhausting, but oh so worth it. Thanks for an awesome story! Words fail to describe its brilliance.
johnnylee619 chapter 43 . 4/2
So is this story suppose to be cannon to the franchise, or is this where the story finally deviates from the original plot?
LarsG chapter 30 . 3/13
oh wow - amazing work, well written, many interesting ideas etc. As realistic
as an interesting how to train your dragon story could ever be.

I haven't read it all yet, but I must say I found myself skipping larger and larger
parts of the story to get to the parts with characters I cared more about. Ie. Hiccup,
Stoic, Astrid, Gobber etc. So I feel that the story would have been more interesting
if reduced in size, on the other hand we we wouldn't then get such an insight into your
thoughts about the characters. It certainly feels like reading Tolkien ;)

All the best,
Lars
BooksAreMedicine chapter 21 . 1/20
Whoa, great way to have Stoick accept it...get through the rage and it was like he was grieving for the old berk, much like his wife...great metaphor
BooksAreMedicine chapter 20 . 1/20
Such a great job capturing Astrid's character. Excellent point about Stoick's trust, that often gets overlooked.
BooksAreMedicine chapter 19 . 1/20
Loved how you had Snotlout view dragons as a weapon to be respected...fits him so well. His thoughts on Hiccup were great. Good idea to put it in Astrid's POV, you can empathize with her more. Poor Hiccup, at least he fought for it though
BooksAreMedicine chapter 18 . 1/20
Wow, nice job developing the conflict and emotions. I'm impressed Stoick talked to Hiccup. Though the leadership thing may have gone better if he had started slower or explained why he thought Hiccup could handle it