Reviews for Broken
TheShadoWWorrior chapter 7 . 13h ago
I don't think you should apologize for the seen. You made it flow so well that it just felt natural, and I could imagine myself feeling exactly the same way. Besides, the story wouldn't be the same without it.
Guest chapter 35 . 21h ago
Yes, very pleasantly surprised to see another update. Thank you. Good job and an interesting chapter, as always. Looking forward to the next...
toothlessgolfer chapter 35 . 21h ago
I like how we get to see a bit more of Kettle's slow decline in that his ambition gradually adopts a suspicious slant toward others. I wonder if he will get a chance at redemption. Here's looking forward to the next installments.
Reviewer chapter 34 . 2/4
Whoa. That was a heck of a dream, there, Hiccup. I like reading about Stoick's revelations, a 'traditional' adult's point of view of just how much everything has changed and that not everyone deals with it so smoothly.
Can't wait to read more!
SidheWolf5 chapter 34 . 2/3
The wait may be agonizing but this fic is very much worth the wait! Another wonderful chapter!
Celestra chapter 34 . 2/3
I don't have anything particularly profound to say here except that it's gratifying to see all the players continuing to be put slowly into motion with their diverse array of conflicting motivations and desires... I wonder if the reptilian aspect of dragons will come into play or not and aid in Grimjaw's healing (growing new talons perhaps?) and I'm intrigued at the meaning behind Hiccup's puzzling dream... dragon dreams seem to be a common theme in this fandom, eh? :)

Carry on, good sir!
Thank you for the new chapter, and thank you for your AN. This is a great story. We will take what you have when you have it. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
HawkTooth chapter 34 . 2/1
The story is intriguing enough to continue following even at a slow pace. I don't doubt a lot of authors have the same issue of beginning a tale, and then finding no clear end, but I'm sure this one will have a conclusion that will be worth it.
Celestra chapter 33 . 1/14
Well, I'm finally all caught up! Lots of dramatic irony in having some of the villagers plan a rescue for Jaspin when us readers already know his fate. Yellowbreath's idea certainly has merit, though one has to wonder how much injury must be inflicted for the scent to manifest. It actually reminds me a bit of a movie I saw recently called the "The Brass Teapot." In it, a young impoverished couple find a mysterious brass teapot that dispenses cash when it senses pain, leading the young couple to injure themselves in various creative ways to generate enough cash to resolve their debts (and later to live a life of luxury, predictably). The same premise of 'where must one draw the line?' will be present in both cases, I'm sure.

Best of luck with your personal project, hope to see more from you soon!
Celestra chapter 32 . 1/13
Ahh, a climax of sorts where certain denizens of Berk have to make life-altering decisions once and for all... It was nice to see that there was still reluctance and dissent in the form of Einarr, because it would be too unrealistic to suppose everyone would actually be swayed all at once (even though the evidence IS blinding...). Freygerd's past observations and failure to voice them was a nice touch as well, confirming what many of us have suspected about her character. I was gratified to see that I wasn't completely wrong about the eye socket; although it wasn't an empty foramen leading directly to the brain, a unprotected eye socket pretty much allows for the same effect.

Looks like the your story is on a steady track to the end!
Celestra chapter 31 . 1/11
A few impressions from this chapter.. it was good to see Hiccup and Toothless find and grieve Bitequick, as her and Jaspin's deaths were so remote that it would be entirely possible to expect his family to never actually find out what happened (also interesting to picture dragons weeping fire rather than tears). Kettlecrack was also quite conspicuous by his absence, so I'm wondering where he's at and what's going through his mind. I felt for Ingifast and his reaction to seeing his work being destroyed; to me there is nothing worse than pouring all your passion and energy into something and finding you have to start again, it's very draining and I often lose the will to to it over, personally, though a shipwright on an island probably doesn't have that luxury. I'm also very intrigued by the puzzle of what Hiccup saw in the Red Death's skull..the only thing I can possibly think of is that perhaps that last eye socket never hosted an eye at all and maybe exposed some important brain tissue and that he could use that information for a direct strike on the younger Red Death, but as that would be an extraordinarily poor evolutionary flaw, I can't really see that being likely - and so I continue to be puzzled.

Also, happy new year!
Celestra chapter 30 . 12/22/2014
This might sound crazy, but ever since you introduced Jaspin, I actually had a vague premonition-type feeling that he wasn't going to make it through to the end of the story. I'm sad that I'm right, he was a likeable lad, and this whole chapter had me feeling tense - with good reason, as it turns out, it provoked a more emotional response than I expected. Although I have to say that I had a harder time reading the earlier scene where Bitequick meets her demise, as I had a very keen sense of Jaspin's trauma in witnessing that. And now Kettlecrack has crossed a line from which he cannot return, even if it was unintentional. I sense a sticky end for him, though I would not be surprised if he redeemed himself in one final act in order to get access to Odin's halls.

A hard chapter to read, my friend, but the stakes have been raised ever further, so it makes for great [and anxious] reading :)
Celestra chapter 29 . 12/16/2014
My goodness, Kettlecrack is certainly an ambitious fellow, isn't he? He can barely control the dragon he has and he's already looking to tame a second Red Death! His perspective was quite interesting this chapter; he's just as invested as Hiccup in preventing a war with the dragons from resuming, but his motivation is still radically different. One definitely gets the sense that pieces are in motion as all these diverse characters put their various plans into place, some of which will definitely come into conflict with one another. It looks like Smoketail might get his wish to study other humans if Jaspin ends up wondering onto the island, though.

Another great chapter that looks like it's getting the plot into its momentum :)
Celestra chapter 28 . 12/5/2014
I fairly devoured this chapter, mostly because I wanted to see Hiccup and Toothless reunited finally :) Toothless, Stoick, and Hiccup wrestling with the prospect of another Red Death put me in the mindset of the sequel of the Hunger Games (well actually your writing is much, much better than Suzanne Collins but it's more the idea of going through an actual hell and then being thrust right back into that awful reality just when you thought you were safe). Also, for some reason, the idea of Stoick grappling with the concept of Toothless and his kin being people reminded me strongly of my dad meeting any of my boyfriends (for much the same reason; he scarcely thinks of them as people, lol).
Also, Smoketail's interest in humans sounds like it's going to turn into a frankly terrifying situation, I wonder if he's going to force Crush Claw to kidnap some humans for his amusement.. Of course if he were to take Hiccup it would create plenty of drama, but at least he could try talking to him outside of Toothless' watchful eye.
I also really enjoyed Hiccup's attempts to translate those draconic expressions, I've definitely had moments like that trying to understand or be understood by someone where there was a language barrier.
Oh, and I also found the concept of the Red Death using scent to control other dragons very intriguing. Very solid chapter, all in all :)
Celestra chapter 27 . 12/2/2014
Another thought-provoking chapter from you :) The dragons' perspective was interesting, as previously we've only seen how the people of Berk have been adapting to the addition of dragons on the island (or not adapting, in some cases), but here we see it hasn't been necessarily easy for them either.
I also liked the idea that flight feels too light to Toothless without Hiccup's weight :)
The dragon parliament was really interesting and allowed for us to view some more glimpses of dragon culture, as well as clarify a bit about the dangers a new Gatherer pose.
Finally, the scenes with Toothless trying to communicate, bond, and earn Stoick's trust as an individual aside of Hiccup were powerful and touching, a nice throwback to the original film.
I see what you meant before about how you have to finick with lots of ends here and there for everything to come together in a realistic and satisfying way, and it's coming together nicely :)