Reviews for Fortunes and War
AliceAddams13 chapter 1 . 12/30/2011
This story is so pretty! The song was lovely and the dream and the bar and everything. It was pretty. Yes.

I've only read a few of the books and I only actually own one. You have seventy-five! Where do you keep them all?

I imagine Fitz as Callum Blue most of the time. Actually, it takes lots of self-control not to picture him as Paul Mcgann, because that would make no sense. (Withnail & I, there was a leather jacket, I don't know.)

The movie wasn't horrible! It was just bad-ish. I mean, the writing was rather awful and some of the acting was very awful, but it's from America in the 90's. That's how lots of things were. And if there wasn't a movie, there would be no eight and no Fitz and probably no new series at all. And you wouldn't have written this lovely thing. Which would be sad. And I wouldn't have written this. Which would be less sad. And this rant is kind of pointless, because you obviously enjoy the movie even in its badness, as you have it on DVD. But here it is anyway. Sorry.

It's 2:30 in the morning. Can you tell?
timano chapter 1 . 9/13/2011
Thank you so much for writing this! I still read and reread my Eighth Doctor collection . . . but you're right, the movie was forgettable. Thank you for bringing Eight back to the backlit screen. 10 out of 10 stars. No, better than that-20 out of 10 stars! (A rating mathematically impossible, but which shows how much I enjoyed reading your story.)
Mel chapter 1 . 6/14/2011
Wonderful! Made me all weepy, in a good way. I've always been a huge fan of Eight's books (so bummed they don't match the new show's canon) and Fitz is my absolute favorite companion from them. Transformations was great; usually when a fic includes lyrics I just sort of read them indifferently, but with Transformations a tune popped into my head out of nowhere and I ended up practically singing it as I read, albeit silently. How did you do that? :) I hope you are inspired to write something further in this vein!
Lamp Shady chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
Oh my, this was absolutely beautiful. And transformation was really well done. I'm all teary-eyed now. :')
The Sainted Physician chapter 1 . 4/17/2011
WOW! Oh, wow... I'd seen that you wrote this story, but I wanted to wait till I finished The Gallifrey Chronicles to read this fic. And wow, it was so beautiful, so evocative, your song was INCREDIBLE beyond words! I am just stupendously impressed by this.

And it made me cry. Yes, yes, reading the song Transformations made me cry. You just get the feeling that for both Fitz and the Doctor everyone else on the planet disappeared, and it was just these two best friends, ok, soul mates, and I wanted it to stretch forever and ever.

Also, great job building Fitz a little life for himself! In so many fics, Fitz is shown to be either gallivanting through the galaxy, somehow, or absolutely a miserable wretch. But as you've written his life, it's believable. I can see it. Fitz has lived too long, accepted to much, already lost everything more than once, and I don't see even the Doctor's "death" shattering him completely. He would have grieved, yes, and you wrote that line so beautifully, but he would have found reasons to live again afterward.

I absolutely love this! We need more Eight/Fitz love in this world. And trust me, once you listen to that Big Finish audio with Fitz, try watching an episode of Hustle, series 5 onwards. You will ALWAYS see Matt Di Angelo as Fitz afterward, he is just perfect for the part. Grey eyes, unkempt hair, skeazy lower class accent, silly, adorable, and just a tad "sensitive." Perfect Fitz!
SonOfTed chapter 1 . 3/9/2011
Interesting. As with you "Torchwood" effort, I'm providing an "outsider" perspective with only minimal context.

That's never stopped me before and it never will.

Most of my "Dr. Who" experiences were with novels as a kid (and I'm talking 1970's and 80's here), so you can tell how long the U.K. has loved this guy. I also watched the entire season with the NINTH Doctor along with a handful of episodes with number ten.

Fitz sounds like someone who went through an awful lot... the kind of experiences that bond friends together forever. Thus it's completely understandable that he would recognize something familiar in a Doctor who looks completely different, and eventually figure out the puzzle with his slightly modified mind. That "Kode" incident sounds awfully traumatic.

I'm not surprised to see your writing evolving further, even including poetry-slash-songwriting now. Can you put music to words too? If not, do you know someone who can?

I enjoyed reading this. There aren't many people who can make a simple set of scenes like a friendly reunion breathe emotion, but the setting is well described, and - as usual - the dialogue of the characters is superb.

Well done! Here's hoping there are "Doctor Who" fans out there who can read your work in context. That's the one big, sticky problem with fan fiction... finding readers who can "hear" the words properly. That's also why I love it so much!

Thank God for the Internet!

Hope all is well!

Best wishes,

SoT
Romana2 chapter 1 . 3/6/2011
I dont know many people who write for the 8th Doctor apart from myself :D Ten was always my Doctor, but I discovered Eight and he might well be my favourite Doctor now.

I dont know fitz, I am more into the big finish Audio so not sure if the books and Audios are connected to each other. But I do like reading any fic with Eight.

I really do like this story