Reviews for The Flowers of the Forest
Lady Amiee chapter 1 . 4/15/2013
"It's for the warrior who will never ride again and so she can look back on her friends and family one last time." this line truly shook me. The deep overwhelming emotion in this made my eyes water and my hands shake, I have never been a fan of kaiden but you gave him something, i can not explain what but it made me want to comfort him, I use the words emotional and poignant in many of the more sorrowful fictions i have read but for yours the words dont clearly reflect the mastery in your words. anyway i ramble. this was a stunning piece of writing, thank you.
Full-Paragon chapter 1 . 4/8/2013
Very touching, I really enjoyed this ;) Shep's funeral is a hard thing to do, because we all know she lived, but no one there does. I think you captured their emotions well though.
Eleneri chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
This is a powerful piece, and the longest story I've seen of its type.

Beautifully done, with great detail, and great interior characterization for the people populating the story.

Fabulous work.
Hoplite39 chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
When I play ME2, I always wondered what Shepard's funeral would be like. I am sure others feel the same Your description feels authentic and I can imagine the funeral being like this.

Apart from the minor fact thatbKaiden very rarely survives Virmire in my playthroughs. But that is a minor detail.
eriskbo chapter 1 . 1/27/2013
Rich and atmospheric description of the funeral, drawing on several different military traditions really worked well. Nice explanation for how Kaiden ended up on Horizon.
Inkess chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
Those... those are onion ninjas attacking me again. Dammit.

I really enjoy all your writing. You have a knack for showing powerful emotions and creating vivid imagery. I could see the scene like I was there, and feel Kaidan's struggles with grief. Well done!
Osage chapter 1 . 1/19/2013
Well damn! The attention to detail in this work is astonishing. I'm shocked that someone actually bothered to reference kiwi polish (the ultimate boot polish IMO!) all orders and military funeral traditions were kept and to top it all off your had me feeling each of Kaiden's tears. This was very well done!
Aeternix chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
Powerful stuff. The crisp winters day was a beautiful scene for the burial of Shepard, extremely fitting for her as well. The prisoner colours if blue and white were perfect for the occasion and Kaiden's disgruntled anger towards Joker and the crew was a perfect juxtaposition. Manoeuvring through this text I found myself getting quite involved with the sensory imagery and the bitter cold of the day.
The characters were all fully realized though I just admit they all fell to the wayside in this because, in all honest, it's not about them all that much. It's about moving on and carrying a legacy, moving from guilt and the pains of loss. I like this story a lot, really good writing makes me smile wide and this does that.
My only comment (as I always have one) is the inclusion of rifles. I know the trumpet and the sabre makes sense, even in 170 years into the future, yet the inclusion of the rifles that had gunpowder bothered me. Throughout the ages, military ceremonies have had the sabre, the trumpet, ect but they use a modern day weapon to fire the shots, not necessarily old fashion WW2 rifles. It's just a minor thought and I'm not expert on military procedures, but it seems slightly odd that these types if weapons are still created in a hundred or so years from now.
Overall, an emotional piece that hits hard and provides an interesting look at Kaiden and the crew at Shepard's funeral. Liked the writing very much, the frosted morn was a perfect setting.
LegionN7 chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
Daaaaamn the feels from this. Conrad just HAD to get there, didnt he? And the resolution with Joker was great; im sure he would be feeling worse than scum himself thinking that everyone truly blamed him
thebluninja chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
Wow, this was sad and quite moving. "Green Fields of France" is also on my mp3 player as well. I'm curious if you're military (or a dependant) or just are really good at doing the research? While I generally prefer Ashley over Kaidan, I think you did a good job showing his personality and especially at providing a bridge from his relationship in ME1 to his actions in ME2.
PadawanMage chapter 1 . 3/13/2011
Lovely imagery you write into these stories, especially looking into Kaiden and how he feels about Shepard.

'Master Chief' lol

Surprised you haven't turned out some fics on THAT current obsession. )
Wolfox6 chapter 1 . 3/7/2011
Very nice. TBH, Kaidan and Ash annoyed me intensely and I ended up just flipping a coin to decide who would die, but you've given him great soul and sorrow in this.

Very well done!