Reviews for Practice Makes
RakshaDaemon chapter 1 . 9/15/2014
I loved this, everyone is so in-character.
Lunatique chapter 1 . 11/29/2012
Great exploration of the warring parental influences on Zuko, and the messed-up dynamics of the Fire royals. It rings so true that despite her prowess Azula is still jealous of Zuko for their mother's affection. I've always thought the fixed and growth mindsets ("you're born good or inadequate" versus "everyone can grow and change") played a role in Zuko and Azula's different outcomes, and it shows clearly here how Zuko went from buying his father's mindset to his mother's. This story shows great psychological insight as do many of your others.
U.O. Zyzpm chapter 1 . 7/6/2012
Brilliant. The complicated feelings Zuko has for Ursa is well played. It fits with his character of not wanting to disappoing and humanizes Ursa as a mother trying to make up for her harsh husband. The last sentence made this story though. I can just see how even with Ozai proud of her, she would want the true love her mother administers to Zuzu. I love my Psycho Royal Fire family! Keep writing!
great gospel chapter 1 . 11/12/2011
This was a brilliant little piece. Well done, well done! You really reached into the mind of your character and displayed his thoughts flawlessly. The little twist at the end was my favourite part.
Souffles In Space chapter 1 . 8/9/2011
A very nice character study - short and sweet. Zuko is jealous of his perfect sister, but Azula is jealous of the attention and support Ursa gives Zuko. No matter what Zuko might think, Ozai's criticism is by far the least preferable.
Kimberly T chapter 1 . 6/11/2011
This was EXTREMELY well done!
Fell4 chapter 1 . 3/22/2011
This is really good. You really show who the characters are- what they revieled at the beach. You showed how Zuko wants his fathers aproval and how he hates his sister because she is so far advanced yet all she longs for is to be loved and encouraged by her mother like she does with Zuko. Jelous of each other-both wanting what the other has. You revield that perfectly

Fell4

PS- Sorry for all the spelling mistakes... That is all...
Fire Lord Azula chapter 1 . 3/11/2011
This was an enjoyable read. You make a good point about Zuko finding criticism and harshness easier to deal with than praise. To him, Ursa's rewarding his failures, and it isn't helpful like she intends. But he keeps quiet because he doesn't want to make her sad.

You chose a more melancholy take on Ursai, which does work well for the tone of the story. "[...] She'll smile while her eyes turn sad. That's the look she wears around Father." Very sad, but not entirely unexpected, especially when one considers what you were trying to convey throughout the piece.

The last line speaks volumes. Zuko is nowhere near the accomplished bender Azula is, and yet she envies him for the praise she seemingly never received from their mother. He could never understand because he's never been shunned by Ursa, only lauded and encouraged.

You're doing a very good job getting into the minds of the Fire Nation characters, so I encourage you to continue.