Reviews for Of Fur and Flame Book One: Two Daughters
Quaver Ava chapter 2 . 10/28/2012
Yay, verminy goodness! My favorite vermin characters were always the ones who were kinda dumb about things, but still clever enough to be bad guys. It's a classical evil villain really. "Here, let me tell you my plan!"

One thing I found frustrating with all the Redwall books, and you picked up the damn thing as well, was the names. Vaniska sounds to feminine in my opinion and I struggle to see a male at first. Same goes with Romsca from Pearls of Lutra, sounds like a guy's name in my head. Just the way they come off the tongue really. But anyways I like your choice of name at the same time. it just kind flows and then add in his wanted tittle, Arson, and you can write a song wit it! Arson Viniska, beware of Arson Viniska.

Now, I've always wanted to see Mossflower burn, even thought of making my character Lakka a arsonist, but never quite had anything to go with. I look forward to seeing this firefox, (ha I'm using firefox and I typed firefox XD) burn down villages and towns. There's going to be one issue with his lackey's plan about leaving a survivor, (That is what Racham wants to do right?), is that survivor could very easily turn into an unstoppable beast bent on revenge. So what they need to do is leave a beast that's old. Young beasts will be driven to put a stop to Vaniska from the beginning.

But these are classic and funny vermin we're talking about, they're not really going to think about that are they? Let's see them make their first big mistake!

Quavera_Tava
Quaver Ava chapter 1 . 10/28/2012
A story edited by Highwing and about a bunch of bloody hares? And by Killy non-the-less! What a shame that this doesn't have more reviews. Shall I fix this little issue? (And perhaps you can do the same for me. :P)

Anyways let's begin!

Because its edited by Highwing I'm not quite sure how I should go about commenting on the writing. It's pretty good if I do say so myself. What I can say is the speech and character. They're just wonderfully jolly classically hare like. This comes from someone who's never read a actual Long Patrol part of the series, but at the same time loved the hares all the same.

In this first chapter you introduced us to quite a few characters. I'm afraid I've never been one to keep up with every single character and their names, so the mass of different hares is going to be diffficult at first for me. (A guy who's bad with names...) That's one of the reaosns why I like the Redwall series so much, because they also have different species to go with the characters so they're easier to remember. As for this bolly hares through, well I guess ranks work too.

Speaking about ranks I would think the officers of a military unit would be a little more formal than that. Yes, they're cherry hares in a mountain run by a teenager badger, but when it comes to uniform I must say they've got to be a little more strict. If its hot they need to all have their coats off at the same time. If its really hot and they need to unbutton some buttons and untuck their shirts then have them all do it. I've never been one to practice military bearing in my JROTC program like any officer, but I know that as the officers they must be the example for their enlisted ranks, even by themselves. So yes, to see them in that current state would be a bad thing for their lower ranks.
(I'm pretty sure in an actual military life they're not going to be that strict and probably would have done the same thing as your hares here. XD)

Now we can move onto, (checks name of teenage badger lady) Oranna! (See, I'm horrible with names, it's right above the little review box!) She's definitively a teenager with how she wants to act. Inside of her head she's probably kicking herself right now from what her mother said to her. Also she's got that classical rebelliousness about her that says 'who cares.' What she'll learn in time through is that one should never underestimate moral support. As the badger lady to be that's what her job is for the Long Patrol. It gives them extra strive to be the best. Not only are they fighting for the peace of the lands but for their lady, or lord, as well. I look forward to see how she grows.

I look forward to seeing how the rest of this story plays out and will try to review as much as possible. So far the writing has captured me and the characters are perfect. I look forward to see how you make your bad guys bad and your good guys good. But before I go any further I must know, so I can look forward to it, is they going to be any grey characters? They don't necessarily have to be 'good' vermin grey, or any kind of vermin at that, but I do love grey characters and it would be fun to try and keep a look out for them.

Quavera_Tava
Ireland Ranger chapter 16 . 9/4/2012
interesting story...I actually feel bad for Konnal a bit...weird...anyway, ON WITH THE STORY! It was well written and for a hare story (hares aren't my favorite) I liked it :D
Species Unknown chapter 16 . 7/25/2012
*nods head approvingly* 'Tis a good story. if a bit short...
clara200 chapter 16 . 8/8/2011
Good strt I like the characters.
RedFalconWriter chapter 5 . 4/13/2011
Very nice Killy-S, when I'm not reading "The Crimson Badger" I'm reading this.
Sgt. Sporky chapter 16 . 3/27/2011
I'm suspecting that Killy is an author surrogate, yes? Ah, what has this young fox got himself into?
Sgt. Sporky chapter 11 . 3/27/2011
Ah, Tutsan you poor fool. You've got a hulluva bloomin' mother-in-law to deal with, friend-o. I tell you now, Cap'n, ifn I had a mother-in-law like that, I'd jump off the blinkin' mountain if it weren't for the wonderful wife that comes with her. "Mother-in-laws; The punishment for having a hot wife," says the old Demotivational poster.

Good biffin' luck puttin' up wit' her tryin' ta tell ye how to raise your child, wot!
Sgt. Sporky chapter 9 . 3/27/2011
East Coast, ya said marm? Which part? I'm a Cape Bretoner, meself. I detect more of a familiarity in the seafaring beasts than an East Coast flavor, but that's probably because I'm from the East Coast, wot.

They feel much easier to identify with than the hares, and that's saying quite a bit since I'm usually a hare when I thrust myself into Mossflower for any reason. I've got to say, it's otters and hares I seem to be inclined to be, identify with, and create. I love this whole story, and plan on reading book 2 once I'm done with this. Your grammar thus far is excellent, I don't feel, see, smell or hear a Sue or Stu. Onward, ho!
Myrkin chapter 16 . 3/22/2011
Killy - the name of character and the name of author. Is it a coincidence or are you putting yourself in a story as character, Killy-s? :P

I think that right now Konnal really wants to kill Vaniska. I bet a bush of acorns to cask of ale*, that blood will be shed once Nicara has no use of one of these foxes.

This book was a great introduction of the main characters and was pleasant to read. I'm looking forward to read second book. :)

*Yes, I took that sentence from tv-series. I think it sounds cool. :P
Myrkin chapter 15 . 3/22/2011
Wow. Jallgo seems like a good father here. Maybe not perfect, what with him choosing husband for Nicara without her consent, but good. He really didn't deserve to die.
Tegan chapter 16 . 3/22/2011
Killicia is a little annoying. If the ship is sailing to Sampetra Mad Eyes will eat her for breakfast, or feed her to the lizards. (assuming this story take place around PoL)

Vaniska is marrying Nicara? I don't think that will last too long.

Post book 2 soon. I want to know what will happen to Vaniska and the Hares.
Myrkin chapter 14 . 3/19/2011
"Rakam the ferret"

Wasn't Rackam a weasel a few chapters earlier? Vaniska is lucky he has such a loyal sidekick as Wayta or he wouldn't be a leader much longer.

So far Nicara seems to be more efficient and clever villain than Vaniska.
Myrkin chapter 13 . 3/19/2011
The first part felt a bit too quick paced for me, but other than that was good. It's great that the healers were able to help Letti. :)

I wonder what Nicara's plans are? Perhaps next chapter will show it.
Myrkin chapter 12 . 3/19/2011
"He used to suck his paw right up until he was made officer. Doesn't seem so scary now, does he?"

I'm sure that your brother will never forget that, Tutsan. :P

I hope nothing bad happens to Letti.
47 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »