Reviews for Still, Even Now
Guest chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
A beautiful piece. Adding the Rifleman's Creed had a great effect.
Religion0 chapter 1 . 8/12/2011
That's a very interesting creed. And an interesting story... Although I do not quite understand why Hawkeye gave him the signal for cease fire/all clear... Why?
Kagetora no Tsume chapter 1 . 7/12/2011
That was awesome!

(And I finally get to figure out where that rifle creed came from...)
ThatGirl35 chapter 1 . 7/8/2011
3 it!

I think my only complaint is that it's difficult to know when a section ends and another begins. It'd be nice to have a small break, or pattern - between each paragraph shift. Other than that, very well done!
Starry Pink chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
Beautiful! You did an excellent job of transitioning from one scene to the next. :)
anonymous chapter 1 . 3/16/2011
you're amazing.

can you like-

please make more?

I think I love you.

like- a lot.

I'm not stalking you.

I just talk to you every so often.

you're amazing.

amazing.

AMAZIING.

don't call the cops on me.

SammyQuill chapter 1 . 3/12/2011
Firstly, I just LOVED how you integrated the creed in this. It fit beautifully and gave this piece of writing so much more meaning. And maybe this is just me but sometimes, it let like it wasn't referring to merely the relationship between a soldier and his/her rifle but was cluing us (the readers) into something a lot more private.

And nice to see Mustang chose his team well if they're all willing to take on generals and go rifling through trash for lab reports for him. XD

Very nicely done, I liked the way you showed the whole process - of him losing his sight, him dealing with it, him going back to work despite the lost light and then him regaining his eyesight and wanting to see Riza first thing. Makes the whole story come full circle.

I'm one of the people who jumped in on this challenge too but after reading all the awesome entries by you guys, I'm feeling pretty self conscious. *blush*

Very, very well done!
HayakuGaki chapter 1 . 3/12/2011
I've said this to you many times over the last few days, but I want to say it here as well. Your writing style is amazing and I love how you can weave bits into your fics. In this case, it's the creed. It fits them perfectly.

One of my favorite parts was the signal against his ankle. It wasn't just an 'all clear' but a 'cease fire' telling him to shut up and go back to sleep. {Yes, you told me what it meant, but it's so awesome!} I loved it all, love your works, and love rping with you!

Your biggest fan,

Hayaku!
maryh10000 chapter 1 . 3/12/2011
I loved this. The rifleman's code was a perfect way to break up the segments and I loved the way you kept clear that Riza is a soldier. Pragmatic and unsentimental and very IC.

Extra points for putting in Fuery and Breda and not for comic relief. Of course they were there. And leaving out Falman reminded me that despite the Brotherhood episode, he was still a Briggs soldier at that point.

Liked the way Riza doesn't talk about Roy's blindness, she just accommodates it. The "all clear" hand signal on his foot, telling him that Grumman had thrown flowers on her bed. She speaks more in actions than words.

Favorite lines:

"Come on, let me hear that beautiful, commanding voice, Lieutenant," he cajoles from his bed.

... before she can give him another hand signal, like a whack at his side.

"If you want to expedite Colonel Mustang's examination, please feel free to fill out the necessary documentation."

The one good result of that battle: it blasted away half the paperwork in Central Command.

And of course, the last two lines of non-italicized text.
Lou Nebin chapter 1 . 3/11/2011
Very well done! I love the Rifleman's Creed laced throughout it. It fits the pair perfectly.

The little scenario with Hakuro to get a longer leave was genius.

Great story!
Disastergirl chapter 1 . 3/11/2011
This is really, really good and beautigfully written. I particularly like the part in the second section, where she taps out the 'all clear' signal on his was so sweet and clever, too. But then, Riza *is* a resourceful woman. :D

It's so clever how you've woven in the Rifleman's Creed into the story, it suits them so well in so many ways. And I liked how you chose to approach this challenge with several small, connected snippets instead of a single story, it really helps to give a much more comprehensive picture of Roy's experiences being blind and the way he and his team deal with it. And, of course, the Royai is wonderful.
Bookwrm389 chapter 1 . 3/11/2011
Very nicely done. I love how you wove in the Rifleman's Creed and made it fit well with the actual story. I really like this.
mebh chapter 1 . 3/10/2011
Wow wow wow.

What a well balanced, tender piece. I am so pleased that we came up with this challenge as it's given occasion for this lovely - somewhat allegorical - piece.

Symbols.. metaphor can be a dangerous thing to play with, especially with fanfiction but I found this worked absolutely perfectly.

You've sewn the Creed expertly through your work and i don't think I need to tell you how perfect the connection is that you've drawn.

"My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless." Sublime. Isn't that just them? Wow.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us - I am so, so in love with this work. :D
rhodablanche chapter 1 . 3/10/2011
You have written a really great story, one that conveys meaning straight to the heart. Keep writing.
ssadropout chapter 1 . 3/9/2011
I love how you have Roy and Riza communicate after the surgery despite the facts that he can't see and she can't talk. It's so powerful that, when he is blind, he sees her dying in a pool of blood. It's so joyous that hers is the first face he wants to see with his restored eyesight. Great job.