Reviews for Sherlene Holmes and The Three Gables
CalliScribbles chapter 3 . 3/12/2012
Hey, mixed review here. I do like the idea (and I'm normally a sucker for female versions of Sherlock Holmes,) but for some reason the tone seems a little off to me, whether because it's too fast or perhaps because of the way in which clues are literally jumping out of the woodwork.

That said, this story certainly has potential.
tapd0g chapter 8 . 4/30/2011
It makes me sad to finish reading that story. I've really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to Resident Patient!

A couple of the lines I can help out on are: 'They are good hounds who run silent.' and 'You are the bastard ... in Andalucia.' I haven't put in all the wording because I can't switch between windows on this phone to check I've remembered correctly but I think the only missed word in the sentence was 'Andalucia' :)
tapd0g chapter 7 . 4/21/2011
Yay, updates make my day! Thank you for updating! I particularly enjoyed the scene in the boxing gym and your idea of the backstory of Holmes' boxing. BTW have you seen the web-site Female Single Combat Club? There are some really great images there of female boxers training in London in the 1880s and a great image from the Police Gazette in Old-Time Female Combatants part II :D
ichigoV13 chapter 6 . 4/17/2011
I hadn't expected to enjoy this story like I have (when characters switch gender it normally bothers me but your story is one of the few in which the gender change works). Now I find myself addicted to it! Please continue these Sherlene stories!
tapd0g chapter 6 . 4/4/2011
Yippee, update :D I just get such a kick out of these stories so thanx for updating despite your really crazy busy schedule! Bad speakers can be a pain especially when there is no subtitle option! I didnt check the review page yet so I'm not sure if anyone's helped out already with the query you had. It's mackerel. Also on the stairs Holmes tells Watson, 'Physician, heal thyself'. Poor Watson. There just ain't no justice in this world! At the end of the update the suburb they're heading to is Cricklewood :) Looking forward to more of this and to the Resident Patient!
tapd0g chapter 5 . 3/25/2011
Another enjoyable update! Poor Watson! I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

BTW, when you mentioned Langdale Pike and Holmes were friends at university I was wondering which university you were thinking of.

Someone may have already mentioned that the line Langdale Pike speaks at the party is, 'La belle dame sans merci', which means, 'beautiful lady without pity' and is the title of a poem by Keats.
bravehearttegan chapter 5 . 3/24/2011
Poor Watson! I'm sure this is a far worse beating than Granada gave him, or may-be it's just more graphic in the reading?Anyways great job and I look forward to the next chapter.

Thanks Tegan.
tapd0g chapter 4 . 3/21/2011
Another excellent update. I particularly liked this part: '... was uncertain how she got into the role of man, but somehow she did and no one has been able to get her out of it. The police couldn't arrest her for her unnatural position because they needed her too much. Even Queen Victoria herself could not force her into her natural proper role.' I also very much enjoyed your description of your character. Her dress sounds very similar to that worn by the followers of Amelia Bloomer and other women's clothing reformers apart from the length of the skirt.

Would the mixing of the sexes in a respectable lodging house, not a common lodging house, have been acceptable in 1881 (the year they technically would have begun lodging together)? If not how could Mrs Hudson's easy acceptance of it be explained? Or are they just too Bohemian to care! :D

p.s. I technically do still have an a/c however it seems that my password only works on days with an 'r' in them. Meh, computers!
tapd0g chapter 3 . 3/14/2011
I am really enjoying this even though it is one of my all-time unfavourite Granada episodes and Conan Doyle stories. Being able to view the story through different eyes makes the difference. It turns a ho-hum wreck of a story into an intriguing adventure. I particularly like what you're doing with the Holmes character as most gender-benders focus only on the 'passing woman' aspect and have her assume a lifelong male role. I much prefer your solution :)
tapd0g chapter 2 . 3/12/2011
Thanks for updating. If you havent already read it I can highly recommend Bradley & Sarjeant's 'Ms. Holmes of Baker Street'. It has a brief but excellent analysis of the Holmes/Isadora Klein verbal joust from the Holmes was a woman perspective.

Fair warning however, they take some arguments a bit too far and use some text out of context - but to be fair it was originally intended as a leg-pull. Some of their own personal conclusions particularly with regard to the reason behind the Great Hiatus is a bit unpalatable too. For my money it also doesnt address the social issues of women in Victorian England enough either and so doesn't give a satisfactory explanation as to why a woman would assume such a lifetime role. It's a fun read though.

Ps I hope the mods will forgive me using this space in this way as I can't use the forum due to limited Internet connection :P
Tegan chapter 1 . 3/11/2011
This looks like it's going to be an intesting view of Doyle's detective. I'm already asking questions about how the characters relationship would change if Holmes was a women, how her work would be handicapped in an Victorian society and worrying if poor Watson is going to get that deadfull beating Granada gave him.

Tegan
tapd0g chapter 1 . 3/11/2011
I love the Ms Holmes idea. Why should the boys get all the fun! I look forward to seeing how this story progresses :)