Reviews for A Long Time Travelling Away From Home
ochreish chapter 1 . 5/16
This was truly a joy to read. Your writing built on the strength of the movie and took it to new places, places that don't feel too far beyond the realm of possibility. I always think it's wonderful when a fanfiction can blend in seamlessly with the original, and you have definitely achieved this.
Annie C chapter 1 . 9/30/2012
So beautiful! Thank you for this wonderful read!
Thallys chapter 1 . 7/24/2012
This was a stunning and bitter-sweet story, and for the record I didn't cry at the end but I still have this huge knot of emotion lodged in my throat. It fits in canon very acutely, it really does. Thank you for such a wonderful read.
Viciously Witty chapter 1 . 6/5/2012
This was so bittersweet and so perfect.

And so in canon too (in the sense this is the only feasible way I could every see them together).

Loved it. Just loved it.

Marvelous writing skills!

Vic Witty
7thtreasure chapter 1 . 3/16/2012
OMG! LaBeouf POV! Yeay!

Thomas. Dude, hahaha, I'd take Emery over Thomas anyday. But still, your ability to capture his personality is amazing. I love it.

I dunno why but I end up smiling like a weirdo perv looking at something delicious whenever I read your writing. Sorry to creep you out but I'm new to this pairing and still extremely excited to read about it, especially when written as well as your fics.

"One must not merely be good, but must also maintain the appearance of being good."

So true.

"...I caught her hand in mine and brought it to my mouth, quickly kissing the tender skin on the back of it."

Will you believe that I actually squealed a bit? Haha, there are other words to describe how I feel for your writing other than saying I love it.

"I loved her..."

I had to clamp my mouth shut so that my office mates wouldn't notice...but daaaamn. You have no idea the joy you give to your readers. It's 2:30am here in the Philippines and I have IT exams early noon but I just can't help reading. I tried other Mattie/LaBeouf fics but they just don't measure up to this. Going to try LJ next.

"...(as women are wont to do, flighty as they are,)..."

It feels so true to his personality. You know him so well. You know Mattie so well. How do you do it?

' "Because I am a grown man and it is time I took a wife. I cannot roam the wilderness on the trail of outlaws all my days. Besides, if you have no other compelling offer, I do not see why you should refuse me. Marriage would suit us both." '

The most romantic proposal ever.

Whaaaat! No! !

Off he rode back to Ysleta to marry the woman who had both arms, who was not saucy, who did not offend his pride, who talked sweetly, who was the proper lady. He married the woman who was not Mattie.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! I started tearing up! Dammit!

"-I have... I have missed you long enough, Mattie"

"...She does not fear it because she has her faith. I do not fear it because I have her..."

This line broke me.

Real and beautiful. I felt everything. You have made me a fan of westerns. I never did have particular interest in them, especially books ever since I read a Mark Twain short story once when I was in grade school. It was depressing so it was impressed in my mind that all westerns were pretty depressing. I was partly right, I guess. I loved it still.
Sulia Serafine chapter 1 . 8/29/2011
Fiwen9430 chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
Last night I was watching True Grit again (having recently read the book for the first time) and realised that I really wanted Mattie and LaBeouf just to meet after the story had finished. The story you have written fits perfectly with the kind of relationship I'm sure they would have had, especially as it isn't overly romantic and shares the bitterweet nature with the novel. Thanks for such a great story.
plotbunnyprey chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
This is quite wonderful, well written and thoroughly in character. Thank you for keeping mattie the intelligent and practical girl she is.
JustAGirl24 chapter 1 . 7/8/2011
What a beautiful story. Bittersweet, but I liked that you stayed true to the movie and they still found each other at the end. Very well done, and I am looking forward to reading more True Grit from you!
wellwithmysoul chapter 1 . 6/28/2011
This story was everything it should be and more! Absolutely perfect. I love your writing! And I just have to throw in that the Wailin' Jenny's are amazing, I used their songs as inspiration and chapter titles in my story "The Cowboy." Have you ever seen them live? If not, you must!

I am reading your other True Grit fic and can't wait for the next installment!
GhibliGirl91 chapter 1 . 6/23/2011
This is lovely, bittersweet but lovely. I think in some places the timeline got a little messed up but that is my only complaint.
starlight2twilight chapter 1 . 6/8/2011
I had to laugh. Only Mattie would accuse him of having a "yellow rose of Texas" at home.

But I was sad that they didn't originally end up together, but the ending made me happy.

LJ Summers chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
This is a delightful, delightful story. My insides feel all settled after reading it, for it just suits me down to the ground. I love the voice you have given Mr. LaBoeuf, his recollection of his awkward courting of awkward Mattie, her snappish disposition and the slight indications of tenderness she displayed.

Truly a moving story. His marriage and later his aloneness you painted well, and Mattie's eventual coming was perfect. All in all, a delightful story.

Thank you.
allgreycats chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
I understand why you'd call this fix fic in your description, but it's so, so far beyond that! I don't think I can adequately describe how beautiful, heartbreaking and generally pitch perfect I found this story. You've written the characters so effortlessly true to form, I can completely envision this as an companion to the original story, though it also completely stands on its own as well.

You've written LaBoeuf so true to form, both in terms of the time period, and in terms of what we already know of him. His puffery and his genuine strong points, and how completely baffled he is by Mattie, and the fact that his only friend is his mother...just perfect.

I love how utterly cinematic and visceral some of these scenes were. I'm thinking specifically of the scene where LaBoeuf visits Mattie for the last time before marrying Sadie. You can feel Mattie's reasons humming below the surface, but also identify with LaBoeuf's utter bemusement at her behavior. Everything is exactly as you don't want it to be, but by the end, you also realize it can't be any other way.

Also, you completely, utterly earned the moment when he realizes he loves her. Which is not easy.

Finally, I really appreciate all of the research you've clearly done into the time period. The little references to specific products and objects-the Model T at the end!-really gave the story texture and life.
Roaddog 469 chapter 1 . 3/27/2011
omg! this was fantastic! i can't even say how much i loved reading this! you captured the speech patterns and personality of both of them so well! i had to stop and review this was so great! i'm adding it to my favorites RIGHT NOW! loved it!