Reviews for Never Give In
mrspencil chapter 25 . 9/4/2019
Goodness...an impressive and intense story. The blending of different timelines worked well, and you built up this rather harrowing tale with great skill.
snooky-9093 chapter 25 . 1/26/2012
Well, as we speak, I am reading Inferno by Max Hastings. Read the other one you mentioned in the fall. And I have FUBAR on my shelf.

I know about the killer fog from my father, as well as the austerity. He served for the duration and got no benefit at all. No GI Bill, no veterans benefits, even though he now has alzheimers. Nothing. Unfortunately, if he had remained in England, he would be cared for under National Health, but he left in 49. He does get a small pension from the merchant marines.

He went back for a visit in the early 60's, and was astonished to see the true colors of all the buildings. They had all been gray, due to the pollution from the coal. Remember Mary Poppins?

Anyway, I read this in two sittings, last night and this am, so I couldn't really leave reviews per chapter. Great medical research as usual. You sure you aren't a doctor or nurse? Wish you had explained why Kinch had left. Nice going with the language. for example He was in hospital. We of course use the in front. I have no idea why they leave it off. Just like they'll say "We are on holiday." LOL.

This was very emotional, and tense, and awesome, as I just felt for those poor women. It was also despicable that the operation was still kept secret after all those years. Nice ending, however.

Curious if Newkirk's father is canon. Many portray him that way, but was it ever mentioned in the show that he was like that? I think I do recall him saying his mother was a dancer. Did Newkirk ever say that he was a real troublemaker/crook either? Can't remember. It's been a while since I've watched any episodes.

Sue
Dinky Dau chapter 25 . 1/2/2012
I adore this fic from beginning 'till the end!

Thank you for taking the time to post all your references, I love to investigate further when I encounter stuff that interests me :3
Fear-Of-The-Cold chapter 25 . 1/1/2012
Great ending to a great story, though I'm sad that it's over. Mavis and Jo's gift was perfect, it really highlights how Peter has grown from his experiences in the Stalag and with Jo. And I think General Hogan's plan will work out just fine for Peter )
El Gringo Loco chapter 25 . 12/31/2011
A tense and gripping story with excellent use of flashbacks. I thought the ending appropriate to the situation. And in my opinion, an excellent basis for a sequel.
ColHogan chapter 25 . 12/31/2011
What a wonderful and beautiful ending for Newkirk and his family. Newkirk deserved everything and more, and I was glad he opened up to Hogan about the difficulty he had even supporting his own family the way he should as a husband and father. I never knew either that the British did not have something similar to our GI Bill. Also, that the Bomber crew Newkirk had been a member of didn't receive campaign medal, and that he himself was considered no longer usable or 's just wrong for somebody who served his country like Newkirk did. Shows how even after the war that Hogan still takes care of his sorry to see this wonderfully written and excellently researched story come to an end.
emeraldarrows chapter 25 . 12/31/2011
This was a wonderful and touching story. Thanks so much for sharing.:)
buggleston chapter 25 . 12/31/2011
Loved the celebration of the starting of the Newkirks endind to a wonderful story.
Six of Twelve chapter 25 . 12/31/2011
Glad to see a happy ending for a man who so richly deserves it. I have to wonder whether there were any more little Newkirks after this. And thanks also for the reading list.
buggleston chapter 24 . 12/31/2011
Wonderful chapter~loved how Hogan carefully approaches Newkirk with his plan.

Really loved the family interactions especially the reunion with his sons.

Sadden that a beautifully written has come to an end but you still left us wondering when he'll let the gerneral know?
Six of Twelve chapter 24 . 12/31/2011
What a wonderful opportunity for Newkirk! I know it's going to make all the difference for him and his family.

I was not aware that the British did not have their own version of the GI Bill. My father went to college on the GI Bill, which made all the difference for our family.
Six of Twelve chapter 23 . 12/31/2011
Good to see Peter on the mend, but it was distressing to learn that he holds the irrational belief that he let his buddies down. Looking forward to finding out what Hogan's plan is.
St PA chapter 23 . 12/31/2011
Happy New Year to everyone!

I'm glad to see the pieces falling into place for General Hogan. As with the others, I think I know what the plans are that General Hogan is cooking up that might possibly involve his former team members and their German friends. The success of this venture would be beyond shouting about and give Peter his earnest wish and finally, peace of mind.
buggleston chapter 23 . 12/31/2011
Wonderfully written chapter~as always well worth the seems that the story is winding down.

Happy to see Newkirk recovering so quickly! Given the way he felt about his mates ~I can see where he would feel those regrets but now that it is out in the open ~Hogan needed to understand where they were coming from because he never realized what was that he contacted Carter to settle that score.

I sorry to see LeBeau take leave but with Peter on his way to recovering ~He needed to return to his family.

Finally I have an idea what Hogan has in mind ,but we'll have to wait for the next chapter to see if I"m right!
ColHogan chapter 23 . 12/30/2011
So glad to see Newkirk doing so much better, but worry because he feels that he let everybody down when he shouldn't. Glad that Carter was able to clear things up for Hogan. Sad that LeBeau had to leave but I know he would have stayed if Newkirk was still sick. And concerning the end, I think I have a idea what Hogan has in mind but I'll wait to see if I'm right. I sense this story is winding down and it's be so well written I'm gonna hate to see it completed.