Reviews for Promises to Keep
More please
Kiara.Queen.of.Kaos chapter 18 . 2/16
Awesome story
Shincore chapter 18 . 1/19
never really understood the whole failure thing with Zuko In the cartoon he seems actually like one of the more powerful firebender's The only advantage azula has is that her fire is blue She doesn't let her rage overcome her and she can bend lightning BUT on the other hand zuko can Ridirect lightning and is also a swordsman
Oh no a cliffhanger!
Guest chapter 18 . 12/18/2016
I love you so much for writing this story... but your a total scumbag for not finishing it. I honestly don't blame you as I'm sure you have problems, goals, and kid(s) to think about. Please though just one more is enough, I just want to know how the battle goes and which side zuko chooses.
Guest chapter 18 . 12/4/2016
YES! Please continue. I want to see the effects of this. "Iroh is a thousand times better than Ozai." :D
Clarity23 chapter 18 . 11/27/2016
This is honestly one of the best stories I've ever read on this website! The character development is realistic, the stories are compelling even if they're moving at a steady pace and your writing style is great. I tried to drag out the 18 chapters as long as I could but finally finished reading today. I'm really bummed that you haven't update for quite a while (I know, personal life is definitely more important) but I hope you'll continue someday. I'd really love to read more.
Guest chapter 6 . 11/15/2016
That... Was beautiful.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/15/2016
How have I never found this before? This is amazing. I love your depiction of Iroh.
chintz chapter 18 . 9/18/2016
Hey!
Firstly I absolutely love this story, and how you were able create so much from such a simple difference.
Secondly, I know it's been nearly a year since you last updated, and that you've probably given up on this story, so if you have would you be so kind to at least post where your ideas for after this chapter were going? Realistically I mostly want to know if Zuko betrays katana like canon, but I'm also really interested in where you were/are headed for the rest of the story.
Either way, I love this doc and your writing style, especially the points about fights having legitamate consequences, and I can't wait to check out what else you've written!
HatethePlayer-NevertheGame chapter 18 . 9/15/2016
Hey I know you probably don't have time to finish but really it's hard to find people who appreciate this show, cartoon or not it does inspire such musings and thoughts on philosophy and human nature and balance and I really love it when people are able to display and expand on these factors when all we have is a kid based cartoon show so even if it takes a while I'll read this when updated
I'm glad to find imaginative people on this sight, there really are some that makenyoubeant to cringe in mental mortification
Bye bye
Diana511 chapter 18 . 9/14/2016
Please update! This story is great so please continue it!
promethea chapter 18 . 8/20/2016
Too good...please, continue it soon
limonium chapter 18 . 7/30/2016
i was struggling so badly to hold my tears from reading this chapter...oh zuko my poor son...i love him so much sobs
emletish chapter 18 . 7/29/2016
So this was brilliant! It's a great place to leave it off too, so suspenseful! I loved this chapter so much because it pulled together so many lose strands and tied it up into such a beautiful, satisfying and emotionally cathartic bundle!

Loved how the first part addressed Zuko's attitude prior to confront Azula. I want him to be happy, but it came across as a little odd for him to be so chipper. You neatly explained why it seemed so forced - because he was forcing himself to smile and be nice. I feel better about that whole storyline and metamorphosis bull now - you have made it all make so much sense.

Loved Iroh's explanation and it is SO TRUE. People only see what they expect to see. They'll see a tea-serving peasant and nothing more. Something tells me this particular pearl of wisdom - how to hide in plain sight - will be useful later.

OOHHHHHMYYYYGOOODNESSS the cave scene! I actually squeed on the bus I was so excited! This was like the best thing ever. This was the angus-beef-medium-rare levels of awesome! meaty character development and smushy emotions. What have you done to my emotions!

I thought that when they properly hugged - it would be the most exciting bit for me - but it wasn't because there was more awesome yet to come. That conversation was so emotionally brutual, honest and powerful...and so necessary and so good for Zuko and Katara is just the most wonderful cinnamon roll. Like she put it all out there and was such a good friend and I just...my emotions.

It was totally natural to have Zuko back waaaay away from being and 'ally' at first, but then to have character gently tease out what he felt about betraying his country and betraying his father and showing him that the two were not the same thing at all. Zuko's being raised in such an abusive and dictatorial fashion that the two have become conflated and he's never had anyone sit him down and show him what a psycho Ozai is, and how none of it was Zuko's fault - and he needed this so badly.

Katara's demonstration - man I held my breath reading this bit. Not because I thought Zuko'd hurt her, but just because it was such a good use of 'show not tell' - the way Zuko said "I won't" it was so tense. I think, if nothing else, that would've been a big revelation just there for him. Hurting something is a choice. Zuko would never, but his father choose to hurt him in the worst possible way. Zuko was able to control himself, even though he's some hotheaded-teen-angst-machine, even though Katara's words hurt him - but his Dad had done everything everything deliberately.

Katara doesn't stop there though and I love her for it, for finally explaining to Zuko to full extend of his dad's abusive cruelty and viciousness. Like it was painful but so necessary - like lancing a festering boil. Oh Katara, such a fierce warrior queen. Then I felt like my heart was being ripped out (in like the nicest possible way) when he cried. I was torn between "don't cry muffin!" and "Let it all out, you cinnamon roll"

aaawww and then they snuggle together and joke together and I just...There's no words...you made me so happy by writing this. Like nothing I type will do justice to how glorious this chapter is.

Loved your take on Aang and Iroh's conversation here - like he's not just wide eyed and naive here. He's thinking critically about what people tell him and why they might be saying it - and yes please. More of this Aang. Hopefully he can develop his critical thinking skills and examine his own beliefs and why. The journey to deeper wisdom starts with a single step - go forth Aang!

OH MY GOODNESS! This next bit between Zuko and Katara should be bronzed, so a statue can be made out of it. I love that Zuko feels sure enough of her to tell her to stop pushing - like Katara's glorious but she has her faults and nagging and pushing is one of them. He's not lashing out at her, just making it clear that he doesn't need her sermon. It's not even like a big moment, but I liked it all the same.

But then oh my god the bit with the spirit water is so much deeper in this story - like just...be still my heart, this was so brilliant. Gosh when Zuko told her to stop 'sweetening the deal' my heart clenched. Zuko may have realised what a monster his dad is, but that doesn't mean he's still not hurt from it. He's so used to people manipulating him, that he is going to have trust issues miles wide and multiple fathoms deep. He's so open with Katara though here, and makes her realise some things about herself.

She's so good and kind though, that she can make him see what a genuine offer it is and he accepts it. No one else could do that but Katara. Like I don't think there is anyone else that Zuko would be able to think was unreservedly genuine and trustworthy - except for his Uncle, but that is complicated by Iroh witholding so much from him.

But Katara trusts him too - she trusted in his goodness and knew he wouldn't hurt her, no matter how awful her words were. They both just connect so well here and I just...my emotions again!

Gosh this whole scene! perfect!

Aang isn't even bothering to hide his jealousy - keep in on the downlow Aang!

That "Later, I promise" is important. So important.

Katara not being worried about Zuko finding her again is also important. ominously important.

Du Du Duh! A wild Azula appears. This is even more ominous!

In short, I loved this whole chapter! bravo and well done and a million gold stars and A!

My prediction: you said ages ago that the start of your season three would still end up similar to canon but with ripples of differences. gah - I have no idea what to do with that. What does this mean Kim?! I think Zuko won't side with Azula but it will be ambiguous - and she'll assume she has his co-operation in the bag. (In this version, I don't think Zuko would betray his Uncle and Katara - and it would be a betrayal if he went with Azula here). Shenanigans will happen. He'll be separated from Iroh. I assume Aang will still get lightning struck and Iroh will still help them escape. Zuko won't be able to find either his Uncle or Katara at that point. Katara is missing the point that Zuo mostly found them through sheer dumb luck. She'll end up healing Aang with the spirit water and they'll end up on Hakoda's boat - but there will be so many added feelings! Azula will think Zuko's onside, and he'll play along so he can have a better chance at freeing his Uncle from her nefarious clutches. But also end up on his way back to the fire nation with added feelings.

That's my best guess.