Reviews for Saddle Sore
bttffan851585 chapter 1 . 7/30/2012
This was so hilarious. It's about 10:30 in the morning where Im at (Texas) so I'm usually not up this early. I think I scared some people while laughing at this. Dusty has always been one of my favorites, and you caught him perfectly. Mr. Callahan too. And Freckles.
I love horses, so when I saw this, I had to read it. I went riding once, but I didn't end up like Dusty by a long shot! Lol! The part when he was upside down in the tree and then when Freckles was trying to get him to ride again were my favorite parts, and then of course when he was like was my sense of authority? And he was so proud of himself and Mr. Callahan was like no I think it was because the horse felt do sorry for you as you hung upside down in that tree!
I know I got the dialogue wrong, but I'm on my phone and I can't really copy on here yet, because I just now got it.
All in all? Lovely story! It was absolutely marvelous! Well written and well done!
Well, going off to read another one!
- Lotr030201 (or Michelle)
TereseLucy384 chapter 1 . 3/31/2012
Did you used to ride? You captured the mischievous horse behavior pretty well.

My buddy, Slick, would be just like that. He's such an adorable little stinker.

You kinda made me want to go riding. :)
Louise Hargadon chapter 1 . 3/26/2011
Hooray for another Dusty story. Oh if only I had time and imagination, I would write Dusty stories constantly. But never as well as you, Teebs. Nobody gets Dusty's soul the way you do.

Other Things I Loved About This Story:

. '"Freckles wouldn't play a trick, would you boy?" Freckles turned his head and blinked slowly at Dusty.' That's actually horse-speak for "Erm, yes, actually. Yes, I would!"

. "Mr Callahan, are you sliding sideways?" That really WOULD be the instant conclusion Dusty would leap to!

. Dusty being personally affronted by Freckles' little trick. Unbelievably cute.

. 'Freckles whinnied softly and tossed his head up and down.' Horse-speak for "It's a fair cop..."

. Mr Callahan unleashing his inner Queen Beeyatch!

. "Be forceful! Be a man!" Be still my beating heart! *fans face*

. Dusty being a man. *hugs monitor*

. Why wouldn't gravity be fonder of Dusty? Is it unnatural to want to pull Dusty towards you forcefully all the time?

. Freckles literally laughing at Dusty. He's an equine genius.

. Dusty's subseqent indecisiveness as to, during the process of taming Freckles, exactly which one of them was actually broken.

. Ooof. Dusty. Not the G word. Not to an intelligent horse!

. Mr Callahan must have the patience of a saint. No matter what scrapes Dusty gets into, he always seems to just shrug them off, pick him up, dust him down and send him on his way. After a while you must become immune to the associated drama of living with the clumsiest scout in the West!

. There's only so much a man can stand, and falling out of a tree after being thrown up there by a horse is obviously Dusty's limit. Actual anger. And hmphing. *wibble*

. "Watch where you're puttin' those things!" I roared with laughter! Tears and everything.

. Mr Callahan offering Dusty a nice warm bath. I'm sure Betsy would be more than happy to scrub your back for you, Dusty, love!

. The real reason Freckles started behaving himself. Poor Dusty. *I* think it was your manly air of authority!... No, fair enough, I don't think that at all, Mr Callahan's right...!

Great story. As always! Hooray for your epic Dusty stories, long may they continue. As soon as I've finished wtih the others.!xx
chill13 chapter 1 . 3/13/2011
Haaa! That happened to me the first time I rode a horse! Saddle slid off. Only it happened when I was bouncing along and the horizon tilted. Ended up with a face full of dirt.

"Gravity does seem fonder of you than most people" The dialogue between these two men is so spot on and witty. Makes me smile. Love the way Mr. Calahan just hangs around, not saying he's there to help but just because he knows Dusty's gonna need it.

I could just SEE him hanging upside down from that tree! What a funny picture.

Aww. Glad to see they made up. What a wonderful story! I just love it. So cute and gave me warm fuzzies.

wow...I'm flattered, honored and stunned that you would mention me and in such an amazing story. I don't know what to say except thank you very very VERY much!
callensensei chapter 1 . 3/13/2011
This takes me right back to the few horseback riding lessons I had...and the reason why, despite the fact that I love to look at and pat these beautiful animals, I'm rather leery of actually sitting on them.

It's the perfectly observed, minute details here (that could only have been written by someone who knows horses) that make this scene come to life. The way Freckles swishes his tail, stirs his hoofs, blows his lips and plays clever tricks are exactly what horses do. Even Freckles' impressive height and the difficulty of getting one's human leg over such a height ring absolutely true. Why don't they put rope ladders on those saddles, anyway?

Callahan's fond amusement makes a lovely counterpoint to Dusty's innocence. You can tell the wagon master is having a ball watching the antics of his petulant young scout.

But one note made me wibble here: when Dusty said that Freckles would belong to him "For the rest of my life." Ah, Dusty! For the rest of Freckles' life, yes, but not yours. Sadly, most of our animal friends don't live as long as we do. But it's certain that that every day of Freckles' life, that horse will know he's cherished.