Reviews for The Second Law of Thermodynamics
confectionery rebellion chapter 3 . 12/13/2013
My jaw is on the floor. This was an amazing read!
Madoka's Bow chapter 3 . 12/8/2013
This may be my favorite story on this entire site. It's perfect!
Guest chapter 3 . 10/31/2013
Excellent prose. I really liked all the references to the theories that are so integral to the application of physics.
Guest chapter 3 . 8/12/2013
That was excellent.
ColdGoldLazarus chapter 3 . 1/25/2013
Huh, well then.

I guess the Charlotte thing still bugs me a bit, but I jumped to conclusions rather too quickly, for which I'd like to apologize. This was great! I like the way you made everything tie together in the end, and also explained how Madoka became a MG in the original timeline. My only other complaint is that the shift of POV at the end of this chapter was a bit jarring, but overall that and Charlotte's story weren't too bad as to break the overall narrative for me.

All in all, I quite liked this!
ColdGoldLazarus chapter 2 . 1/25/2013
Interesting, and a step up from the previous chapter. There's also more connection between the ancedotes and the explanations, which helps. :)
ColdGoldLazarus chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
The parts about the second law, the sun, and the baseball player were well-explained and spot-on, and Homura's operation was fairly interesting if seemingly unrelated, but the part about Charlotte was 'eh.' I mean, I like that you did away with the most common interpretation of her backstory, but QB sounded actually emotional, and saying she'd been the most powerful until Madoka doesn't jive with the whole Walpurgisnacht issue. :/

Overall, I'd say if cut out the Charlotte bit and explained how Homura's bit was relevant, this would be excellent, but as it is, it's only very very good.
Endless Strategy Games chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
Excellent work. I really like this piece. If I were to place one critique, it's that Kyuubi's comments about Charlotte's voice seem out of place. It doesn't have emotion of course, so it would say something like "by human standards, her voice was that of an angel" instead of "her voice was that of an angel." I wonder what you're going to do with Charlotte...
seqka711 chapter 3 . 11/18/2012
...
Instafaved.
This story is amazing.
That's all I have to say.
The Other Problem chapter 3 . 10/31/2012
Fascinating. This was simply amazing.
Scyllia chapter 3 . 8/18/2012
Phenomenal. Amazing. Pure Genius.
to name a few
tifftaffwubu chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
The wording and dialogue on these chapters is absolutely fantastic and something I could not accomplish in my current learning. All-around marvelous work and an amazing piece I had the privilege to read.
Wicked Hermit chapter 3 . 9/11/2011
Wow, this story gives a whole lot of insight into entropy. I loved how you incorporated all the different theories of physics into Kyuubey's explanation to Madoka. I even recognized at one theory, the one about Maxwell's theorem.

Also, props to you for writing about Kyuubey's comparison of his actions to humans slaughtering cattle - way before he uses the exact same analogy in episode 11, I believe! Bravo! Everything is written just so; it seems as if Kyuubey was speaking right to me!

Also, I really like your guesses into how Charlotte became a Puella Magi (and later one of the most dangerous witches ever), and how Mami got into the accident. I winced at the "suicidal chicken" joke.
Pitt chapter 3 . 9/2/2011
Wow, you definitely did your homework! I couldn't find a single grammar or spelling mistake, and all the science is definitely well done. You made me understand quite difficult things despite explaining them in a language that is not my mother's tongue. This is quite an accomplishment, you'd probably make an awesome physics teacher.

Choosing Kyubey as a narrator and having him take some time to explain his situation is quite unique and refreshing and gives a lot of deep and insights. It also allows you to touch a variety of philosophical themes without completely losing consistency. Bonus points because it is *actually* written in both first and second person. Second person is so damn rare, but it can be awesome if done correctly, which is definitely the case here.

The whole thing about a sentient being not feeling any emotions is rather headache-inducing, not only in your fanfic. To me, it inevitably leads to the question of the meaning of life. Why should you even bother to continue existing if you cannot feel any happiness, satisfaction or even love? However, I like how you approached this problem. The Incubators would be pretty ill-advised to just ignore emotion, as it is essentially an enhanced form of intelligence, and a very powerful and fast-processing tool for survival (do you get angry and attack the enemy or do try to escape the dangerous situation?) as well as socializing (at least with humans). From what I read, the Incubators are expected to surpress their emotions, in order to think and work like computers, much like dictators don't want anyone to have their own opinion.

One reviewer pointed out that Charlotte being a terribly strong Puella Magi - and, as a result, a terribly strong witch - doesn't make any sense and is even somewhat denied in canon. However, one mustn't forget that the whole story (except for the last part) is basically just manipulative bastard Kyubey telling Madoka what she wants to hear. Making up a story that implies that Mami wouldn't have stood a chance against Charlotte is actually pretty clever. Madoka can't say that forming a contract in order to save Mami was unnecessary. In her opinion, Kyubey just did his part on saving a life when he granted her wish.

To show just how manipulative Kyubey is: He actually admits doing a few things that would be considered amoral by human standards here and there. Why? Because he is honest? No! Because he wants Madoka to THINK he is honest! He "proves" her that he'd always tell the truth, no matter how unpleasant it is. This is a pretty dangerous, yet shockingly effective way to make people believe you anything. At least if you don't mind being hated like Kyubey.

Another reviwer found it strange that the Incubators actually cared for something that will happen in a few billion years. Well, is it really that strange? Didn't the ancient Egyptians want the pyramids to last for thousands of years (and succeed at that)? Aren't there people who want to be remembered for all eternity? Aren't there people who want to prevent horrible things from happening in the future, even if they won't live long enough to witness them anyway? Aren't there people who refuse to accept death and won't believe that, one day, our planet will inevitably become an empty wasteland? There are.

Last thing, Homura is definitely right. Humans are not perfect, but that's not as bad as everyone thinks it is. I'd rather face armageddon than live in a world full of supernatural nazi cats from space, mentally destroying and eventually killing young girls "for the greater good" and not being allowed to show any emotions.
Alex Warlorn chapter 3 . 5/14/2011
made me the most nervous.

Heheh. I thought you couldn't FEEL EMOTION! :-)

He wouldn't be so bad, if he at least felt SORRY that he didn't have a better solution for his goal. And then there's the fine print he always leave out.

Ironically according to the creator's notes, her wish was to resurrect a dead cat (the one from the opening) and kept this a secret so her friends wouldn't think less of her so making such a wish. That being said, your interpretation here and look at another possibility is VERY WELL DONE!

And while it may not be what you intended when writing this, IMHO it's hard to say EITHER side is wrong.