Reviews for The Ace of Spades
Jade Sabre chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
yes[with multiple s's that the site won't allow]

my friend linked me to this fic and said "seems like the angsty Anders you were looking for, got some weird italics" but as soon as I started reading I knew EXACTLY what you were doing with the italics, and you did it MASTERFULLY. What a brilliant and excellent and consistent and beautiful way to depict Anders/Justice. Your examination of his unrequited feelings for Hawke and her effect on him too were excellent, and the way the fic built to its conclusion-perfect.

this was exactly the sort of beautifully-written Anders tragedy fic I was looking for. Thank you.
FireofFantasy chapter 1 . 8/10/2011
This is SO BLOODY AWESOME! I love how you've included Fenris, though I'm a pure Team Anders) And I love how you showed Anders' changing. This is superior)) LOVE IT!
Platinum Egoiste chapter 1 . 7/24/2011
Very well written; the prose matches the way a Justiced Anders would somehow spiral down. I love the Fenris/Hawke mention (love Anders and Fenris both) and this is something I've been searching for a while. I'm glad to have found it.
Masqued chapter 1 . 7/21/2011
Loved it, great story. To be honest, though, I can't imagine Hawke with anyone but Anders. But perhaps that is just me. I'm not fond of Fenris.
Ashfae chapter 1 . 4/25/2011
God, this one is good. I've never seen Anders/Justice's mind written so well, the way his thoughts are all his but slipping from the one part of him to the other. Excellently done, and haunting.
Lobeira chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
I found this to be an amazing and lovely look into Anders' personality. I think many people who hate him judge him too quickly and slap labels like "angsty", "dark", and "emo" on him without bothering to look deeper into the twisted and complex character that he is (I love me some tragedy characters ;A;).

His personality being consumed and merging slowly with Justice is heartbreaking and the line where he thinks that he might be returning to his "old shallow self" nearly killed me. It was just so utterly poignant.

Did you romance him on the rivalry path? It sounds like it from his resentment towards her for not doing anything, but at the same time his personality merging with Justice happens more in the friendship path :P. At any rate, this piece was absolutely lovely! Makes me want to replay my Anders romance!
Riana1 chapter 1 . 3/28/2011
you are a god. this was bloody brilliant- you showed just how bugfuck crazy Anders got in the end.

and your slow slide into madness was glorious.
fifespice chapter 1 . 3/25/2011
wow poor anders so complex
Jedi Boadicea chapter 1 . 3/19/2011
This was lovely. I sometimes get so discouraged by the quality of fanfic out there that I forget what a joy it is to find a well-written piece like this.

I really appreciate that you did not try to paint a rosy picture of Anders. I had not gone into the game expecting to like his character as much as I ultimately did, and the reason I did is because I was impressed by the many, complex layers, some of them very subtle, that were woven into the depiction of his character. It would be easy to dismiss him as "dark" and "angsty" but there is something more going on there, and I think you captured it perfectly.

The bleakness here is just heart-breaking, but very appropriate. And I think you did a fantastic job dealing with his psyche and the workings of his mind. On my first playthrough I played a mage who romanced Fenris, and though I never once flirted with Anders I did end the game with this very strong sense that Anders was silently as fixated as you depict him in this piece. (Playing an Anders romance now, and this definitely feels right.)

The writing in this piece seemed to... hmm... roll. As in, rolling hills. Or waves. It moved in a fascinating rhythm, and kept me drifting with it - back and forth through Anders and Justice, through the warring parts of his mind. Through his desires and doubts. Very nicely done. I love how the boundaries blur as the piece goes on, following Anders's losing battle with both Justice and himself. In particular how the Justice parts, the fully blended parts, become more dominant as the piece goes on, until the end, when he has given up, given in, become and accepted, it's all solid italics. Nice.

But I think my favorite line was this one: "She brings him a cat to the clinic; she always remembers how fond he is of them, even when he forgets"

Both touching and hugely sad at the same time. It was the "even when he forgets" bit that really got me, because it shows how far he has come from himself.

Thanks for the great piece!
chq chapter 1 . 3/17/2011
Wow... just wow... I think this is definitely one of the most realistic and readable portraits of Anders I've seen so far. I agree with the others, your use of italics is really effective! I was always sad that in the game they only hinted at his descent and didn't make it more explicit - this really makes up for it. Thanks!
We Stole Vodka From The Optic chapter 1 . 3/17/2011
I really like how the ending half of this fic descends into italics, as though to portray Justice's ever-growing influence over Anders.

Very sad; my heart strings were quite pulled.
Medivi chapter 1 . 3/17/2011
You capture a mind at war with itself, and I actually like the dynamic you are utilizing with the italics. Nice job!