Reviews for Fireflies
kadeejayybaybee chapter 5 . 8/11/2013
This story is soo good
Guest chapter 2 . 7/19/2012
i like they wwya you mixe dhairspraya nd the help together bobth of my favorite sixties stories
BayouWizzard chapter 1 . 3/24/2012
this is not crap. this is really really good.
JackieStarSister chapter 5 . 11/13/2011
Hey, glad you're back! And with a nice long chapter, too.

Wow, Amber and the girls from Corny Collins Show are really … harsh, more so than in the movie/musical. I've always thought of them as stuck-up, but here they're low and mean.

I do like that Penny goes to Maybelle for comfort. I guess missing Seaweed is something they have in common, so that would bring them closer.

So, Penny ran away? For good, or just for a while?

Please update soon! Good luck!
DCdreamer55 chapter 5 . 11/13/2011
Oh snap, Penny is gone! You really don't want to mess with her or her Seaweed. That poor girl, Go have a Ickes Penny, you will feel better. Great job, I can't wait for the next chapter :)
XxBlueDreaMerxX chapter 4 . 8/3/2011
I can imagine Seaweed say this to Penny even though it's a letter. I read it in his voice :)
Goku's Girlfriend chapter 4 . 7/31/2011
My grin's a mile long. For just "filler," that was great. How sweet is Seaweed? The guy can't stop thinking about his girl back in Baltimore. Very realistic, and very romantic.

This will sound a little weird, but... I'm enjoying this fic even more now because I caught a glimpse of your profile. You seem to know our history pretty well. So well I could have sworn you were American, hey? XD As a history buff, I really respect that. And even more so because you're not from around here and are interested in something that went on off your own plot of dirt. Personally, I do love learning European history, but it's always good to see people who like to reach outside of their cultural norms. Like I said, much respect!

So, can I suggest one thing? The dialogue is pretty good here, and mostly believable. But there are a few subtle oddities that people from the US can pick up on. For example, most of Seaweed's expressions are perfect representations of what he'd say in the movie, but there are just a few... differences in how he talks here compared to how he'd talk in "Hairspray." It's hard to point out, because like I said, these things are subtle, but some of it seems a little... formal(?) for the colloquial speech of American teenagers. Searching for a specific... the use of the term "brilliant" to mean high-class or fancy. Americans only use "brilliant" to mean intelligent or blindingly light. You're doing remarkably well for the most part, but there are just a few little things like that around.

Please don't hate me because I'm being a nitpicker, but it's also a little weird to see the British versions of words in a story that's set in Baltimore. I noticed a few:

Raspberry sucker raspberry lollipop, "motorcars" cars (I thought you meant motorcycles at first), "Baltimore dwellers" Baltimoreans or Bawlmers (I lived in Baltimore for a year. We really do call it Bawlmer.) Hershley's Hershey's (no "l"), liquorice licorice.

...You probably hate me now, don't you? Sorry for sounding like a know-it-all. Trust me, I get how difficult it is. I wrote a Hetalia fic about England a few months back. I had to do a LOT of research on the British versions of our Americanisms. I mean, "kerb" to mean "curb?" Crazy! But when in Rome. It makes for an amazing read at the end if you can get the little details right.

Hm... also, Seaweed's letter. That letter is definitely not making it to America, partner. That would cause some mass frustration on the mailman part. XD It would most likely be:

October 19, 1963

Miss Penny Pingleton,

2964 Keswick Road,

Baltimore, MD,

U.S.A.

Otherwise, I really have to give you a hand. A big round of applause is deserved. It's coming along great, and I'm definitely staying tuned for updates.
Goku's Girlfriend chapter 2 . 7/31/2011
This is a pretty original fic. I have to say, you're doing a nice job with it so far. The emotions that are captured in this chapter are especially well-written, particularly the part about fireflies doing the foxtrot. I really feel bad for Penny, having to watch Seaweed leave for Nam. It probably wasn't fair of him to let her know the night before he went down to the recruitment center, but it's a painful thing to do.

I'm hooked. I'll be curious to see what goes on in the next few chapters.
JackieStarSister chapter 4 . 7/27/2011
I'm glad to see you've updated! This chapter was short, but very sweet. I like the bit about fireflies and motown, and "Keep laughing, keep loving, keep dancing." I think it's good you put research into Penny's address. Keep up the good work!
JackieStarSister chapter 3 . 7/7/2011
I am loving this! I'm actually in the middle of reading The Help, my second time reading it - I wanted to refresh my memory before the movie comes out. I was actually thinking about what it would be like if someone wrote a crossover of books and movies that take place in the 60's. And then I found your story!

I really like this so far. I love how you're working in so many details about the pop culture and politics of the time period. Please update soon!
Evelyn Briar Black chapter 3 . 7/1/2011
I like it so far and I love your writing style. Please continue!
Evelyn Briar Black chapter 3 . 7/1/2011
I like it so far and I love your writing style. Please continue!
Fanpire101 chapter 3 . 4/7/2011
Aww. That was really really sweet, Loved it!
AmiliaPadfoot chapter 3 . 4/5/2011
When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. I know you hate that stuff. Instead, throw them back and say 'Where's my candy, Punk?- I think i'll try this some time. :-) iv'e never heard of hairspray before but it didn't seem to matter when I read this as I could stiil understand it and I realy liked it. Especialy the candy store owner. Such a nice guy and it was nice to see thing through his perspective. hmmmm plus you've made me hungry now. Are you going to continue it at all? I like the way you tied the story in with realy life events. It realy gave the story more deph. I noticed in your first bottom A/N you said, 'Absolute crap so far' don't. you should have more confidence in your writing cuz I certainly thought it wasn't.