Reviews for Hey Hey, He's the Monkey
pbow chapter 3 . 8/15/2012
A very interesting take on the Amulet of the Monkey King. I just ran across your story as I'm finishing up writing my own take on ""The Full Monkey" episode.
At first I was a little surprised that you used the name Monkey Fist during the first scenes with his parents, but after thinking about it, it almost seems right that he could have thought up that moniker for himself in his youth.
I was a little taken aback with how OOC Kim seemed in the scene when she and Ron find Fist changed in the secret dojo. She seemed a bit brisk and unfeeling about the whole sitch, at least to me. Kim also seemed to be more interested in just ending the mission and putting Fiske in jail than thinking things through.
All-in-all a very good tale (or tail)
My story will be totally different, starting from when Kim is turned human again and she catches the amulet in her hand, so don't worry that I'll steal any of your ideas.
Keep up the great work.
pbow
Lucy chapter 1 . 8/15/2011
That is such a traumatizing childhood... no wonder MF turned into a wackjob...
purplegirl761 chapter 3 . 4/20/2011
Awww, poor Monkey Fist. . . no longer a human, yet not fully a monkey, feeling like he doesn't fit in with either one. I felt so bad for him, especially when he was remembering his parents. May have been the first time I ever had the urge to hug the guy.

It's definitely not just your ego talking when it comes to this chapter's style, either. The present-tense *does* make it seem more in-the-moment, while the lack of a name makes it feel sort of detached. Sounds like the two moods wouldn't work together, but they do. I always love it when people use simplistic language on purpose to convey profound thoughts.

The ending made me smile. It's certainly not a fate *our* Monkey Fist would ever have wanted, but he's uncaged now and has a friend, so I'm happy for him. I can't help but be glad for DNAmy, too - she finally gets to love on Monty with him considering it torture. XD

"When he looks at her and she smiles, it is almost as good as eating a banana." Awww.

A surprisingly cute end to a very good story. I'm looking forward to reading more of "Pater Unfamiliar."
purplegirl761 chapter 2 . 4/18/2011
. . . Wow. *blink* A chilling fate, for Monkey Fist, but it's fitting and, at the very least, less tragic than the one that eventually befell him in canon.

The vivid wording in this part really helped me picture exactly what was going on. The description of Monkey Fist's castle was especially well-done. It gave me the shivers, especially when I reached the "home sweet home" line and realized that somehow that description of the castle had become entwined with the essence of Monkey Fist himself.

There are still some nicely humorous moments, though. Ron's interaction with Bates, especially, made me chuckle, considering the two were such polar opposites.

Speaking of Bates, he was used very well here. I at once admired him for his devotion to his master and felt sad for him as he recalled Monty Fiske's descent into madness. It made me think of the story "The Monkey's Valet" by VampireNaomi, which I enjoyed immensely.

I thought Monkey Fist-as-an-actual-monkey sounded pretty cute, too. . . until I got to the flinging feces part. Yick.

I'm a sucker for stories where everything comes full-circle, and Monkey Fist ending up in the very zoo he loved to visit as a child was surprisingly poignant. Though the way Ron teared up kept it from being too sappy. XD
Reader101w chapter 3 . 3/29/2011
Nice ending to this story,

I like the idea that Monkey Fist finally found a place to be happy. Strange how things can turn out.

Keep up the very good writing that you do,

reader101w
Thurston chapter 3 . 3/25/2011
I very much enjoyed the monkey perspective, simplistic, but complete. I thought you were going to have quiet bittersweet ending with Monty getting what he wanted, but that making him unhappy, barely remembering what was before.

Instead, you give us a strange happy ending. Eyesbrows raised, okay!

Thank you for writing this.
Karon19 chapter 3 . 3/25/2011
Hm. I'm not expert on phoenetics (if I'm even using the right word to describe my gripe), but if Monty's in an English zoo, why do all the visitors sound American? Some of the terminology, the way they spoke, sounded more like somewhere in the American northeast. I'm not saying all British people speak like Monty Fiske or even the Queen. But it seemed so out of place seeing words like "mommy" "chow time" or "c'mere."

That being said, I think this was the best way you could finish the story. I can't think of anyone who would give Monty all the love and care he now needs better than Amy. Another short story down. You're really on a role, Doofus...that didn't come out right.

Katsumara chapter 3 . 3/24/2011
Haha. Hilarious DP, and a fun ending for this one. :) Great work, and I'm looking forward to that next story of yours!
Jen Rock chapter 2 . 3/23/2011
Very interesting. I like Bates' dedication even now when his master has become an animal. I love the irony of Monty ending up in the same zoo he enjoyed as a kid. I suppose it's a better fate than being turned to stone.
Karon19 chapter 2 . 3/23/2011
How sad. And yet a fitting end to Lord Montgomery Fiske. The man lived an extraordinary life. Whatever his crimes, it's kind of sad knowing how he turned out. What discoveries he could have made had his life turned out different? And wonderful, loyal Bates. You cannot buy that kind of dedication.

I wonder how you're going to finish this one.

Reader101w chapter 2 . 3/23/2011
Cool story so far,

Very interesting how you worked out Monkey Fist's decline into monkeyhood.

I hope to read more on this soon.

Keep up the good writing,

reader101w
Katsumara chapter 2 . 3/22/2011
Another awesome chapter here, DP. Really liked the touch of Ron tearing up at Monkey Fist, Haha. Something about that just gets me. :D Keep up the good work!
purplegirl761 chapter 1 . 3/22/2011
Maybe I just haven't been looking hard enough, but I've never seen a fic that explored Monkey Fist's childhood before. Still, I can't think of a better introduction to the concept than the first part of this story. Showing how Monty envies the monkeys' freedom gives a lot of insight into the man he'll eventually become.

Now, the now-quite-battle scene with Kim and Ron just made me smile. I could really picture the whole thing. And, dang, it looks like that amulet might have some side effects that ol' Monty wasn't counting on.

The title, for the record, is just amazing. I can't wait to read the next part.
PengyChan chapter 1 . 3/21/2011
I was pretty surprised to see that you decided to take part to Monkey Fist Appreciation Day, too, but I surely am not complaining. Not at all. Right now you can think of me as kid who just walked in a candy store to see that all candy is for free. XD I really enjoyed the read, and I'm looking forward for more.

I'm kind of a sucker for backstory, so I had a great time reading through your own take on Monkey Fist's youth, on what his parents were like and what expectations were placed on him. I think you did a great job on his parents: they're just as snobbish as you'd expect British aristocrats to be, but they're still believable characters. I got the impression that while they expect a lot from their son, they're not really aware of how hard they're pushing him and in their own way only want what's best for him. Well, what the think is best for him, anyway.

As a contrast, I just loved young Monty's fascination with monkeys. It was so well-written that it's really not hard to imagine why Monty would be so fascinated by them. They skills and reflexes sure must be impressive to a boy, and their joyful abandon even in a cage is bound to leave an impression on someone who, on the other hand, has to be much more controlled and follow a lot of rules.

The contrast between the last line of the first scene and the first line of the second one was just perfect. It was funny, but it also underlined how in the end Monty didn't say goodbye to his friends after all.

I like it how even before the twist in which Monkey Fist put the amulet around his neck rather than attacking first (now THAT would have been a sensible thing to do, and I wish he did so in the episode XD) you managed to add a lot to the scene in the museum and turn the conversation in another direction rather than just writing the lines the characters spoke in the actual episode: it would have been easier, but probably less enjoyable to read. I found the little exchange between Ron and Monkey Fist really funny, especially Ron's remark on how Monkey Fist stopped in the middle of his sentence.

Monkey Fist's confusion at Ron's remark about the tattoo and his surprise at realizing he actually didn't feel any different actually made me chuckle. I guess he didn't really do his homework about the amulet's effects, did he? I also got a chuckle out of that slip of the tongue towards the end and his embarrassment for it - it DOES feel jarring trying to picture him speaking like that. Another detail I liked was how he felt a tad uncomfortable using the items in the museum as a distraction to get away.

All in all, I really enjoyed this first chapter and I'm looking forward to the next one. Keep it up!
Karon19 chapter 1 . 3/21/2011
I've only worked with Monkey Fist on one story and he's a tough nut to crack (no pun intended). I feel he has a terrific backstory and the potential to even be Kim's greatest villain if here weren't so obsessive.

I wish I was as close as you to finishing a story. My next fic is a planned ten chapters which I've been working on since last year and am not even halfway through. It's not a MF Appreciation Day thing, but a different project. Keep updating, it's good to see you writing two stories back to back.

Oh, and love the title.