Reviews for Hey Hey, He's the Monkey
CajunBear73 chapter 1 . 3/20/2011
I get the feeling here that things will not be going as Monty expected or hoped for... LOL!

CB73
Katsumara chapter 1 . 3/20/2011
Haha. Nice work here, DP! Very interesting start to this one.
VampireNaomi chapter 1 . 3/20/2011
This was a wonderful first chapter that promises to turn into a really intriguing story. There were lots of things I found interesting and worth a mention here, so I’ll do my best to give my thoughts on the matter.

As a huge Monkey Fist fan, I’ve read every story I’ve been able to find about him. Lots of these stories have included flashbacks to his childhood. Your version of that was one of the most enjoyable and original ones I’ve ever come across. You managed to give Monty and his parents lots of depth in that brief scene. For example, I don’t think I have ever come across the idea that the push to archaeology came from Monty’s parents, not him. Every other story I’ve read has treated him as a history nut even as a kid. I love the way you portrayed him here and made him much more interested in monkeys. It’s more believable in many ways.

I also really liked Monty’s parents. Most fics tend to choose one from two extremes – either his parents are caring and understanding or they’re complete monsters. I think you managed to strike a great balance here. While the parents were jerks, I never got the impression that they were inhuman. After all, they did bring Monty to the zoo even though they immensely disliked it.

By far the most intriguing part of the opening scene were Monty’s thoughts about how monkeys are free. It was an obvious contrast with his life and how he has to carry the expectations of his parents and society. I can’t help but wonder what kind of role this theme is going to play in the rest of the story. Since I assume we’re going to follow Monty’s transformation into more of a monkey than he already is, I guess we’ll soon find out if it’s as great as he thought it would be.

The alternative chain of events at the museum was highly interesting. I always love to see a different approach to an episode. The dialogue was a joy to read and suited the mood of the series. I especially liked the witty lines from Kim.

All in all, this was a great starting chapter, and I’m eagerly waiting for the remaining two. You’ve got an enjoyable, clear writing style that is sprinkled with just the right amount of details. I also like your foreshadowing quite a lot.
18 | « Prev Page 1 2