Reviews for Not Him
madinalakesavedmylife chapter 1 . 4/17/2013
Aaagh! My heart just broke into a million teeny-tiny pieces - this was just perfection, I swear. I've been looking for a half-decent EnjolrasxEponine fic for ages, and now I've finally found a brilliant one! XD Loved how it wasn't sappy at all, but all the more touching for it - you also added a lot of depth and humanity to Enjolras' character, which is something that isn't seem often in fanfics, so great job on that! :) I loved Enjolras' strength and collection, too, even as his true feelings were slipping through at points. Best bits:

- "Marius," I say. My voice elicits no response from the huddled mass at my feet. "Marius!" I snap. He looks up at me, pain in his eyes. For once, I think viciously, and then regret it. The poor boy – and he is just a boy – has just lost a friend. But nothing more. I tell the snide voice in my head to shove off and look back at Marius. "You have to let her go. She's gone now."

- Éponine was always around, it's true, but this wailing is ridiculous.

- ...her funeral. Two words I never thought I'd have to think.

- "Marius, look at me," I command, willing myself to be strong. Because if I can't be strong, who will be strong for me?

- For Cosette," I add. No one can say I don't know how to motivate my men.

- But as a leader, I feel obligated to take care of Éponine. She's the first to fall, after all. That's why I'm doing this personally. Right?

- I can't believe that she took a bullet for Marius. Well, that I can believe. Everyone can tell, the way she looks – looked – at him that she'd go to the ends of the earth and back for him. Everyone except Marius, the idiot, and now that she's gone, he'll never see the girl I see. Éponine is – was – a smart, strong, loyal, brave, lovely – you can't see it, but I just know there's beauty there - girl who loved him with everything that she is –

- She thinks I'm Marius. Damn it. She's nearly dead and she's still pining for him.

- Quickly, my mind is made up. I'll pretend I'm him, give her some last happiness before she goes on. "I'm here, 'Ponine," I hear myself say softly. I've always hated that nickname. It gave Éponine false hope, as though it were a term of endearment, and it made her sound like a little girl, not the brave woman she is. But she looks so fragile now, and her face is so pale. I can see more veins than I should be able to.

- How long does it take to die? Mon Dieu, that sounds awful.

- "I'll stay," I whisper, stroking her hair. It's softer than I'd imagined. She seems cold, so I nestle her closer to me.

- "I can't, can I?" she asks boldly. It takes me a minute, but I realize that she's asking whether she's going to die.

- She deserves to know the truth. I will ignore the irony in that statement.

- "It's me, Éponine," I whisper, my voice strangled . "Not Marius, no. Enjolras. I'm sorry for deceiving you. I just . . . I wanted you to die happy."

"I think -." Her sentence is cut short as she coughs up a bit of blood. "I think that's the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me."

I don't know what to say to that, so I just hold her closer, trying to shelter her from the rain and wind.

"Enjolras?" I can barely hear her, so I lean in as close as I can get without touching her. She wouldn't want anyone that close but Marius.

"Yes?" I could count each eyelash over her almost-closed, almond-shaped, chocolate-brown eyes.

"Thank you." Her eyes shut. She looks happy now. I sit with her until I can no longer see her chest rise and fall.

I bring her to the café. She'd always loved it there. I lie her on a couch, brush her hair back, and exit the café for the fight, leaving, "You're welcome," hanging in the air.

Godammit, this was so good I cried. Really really fantastically written - I wish there was more! You write all the characters so well - keep up the awesomesauce work and DFTBA! XD
J.C.Anne chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
Too much feels than I can say. Would you like some of my tears that I can spare. This story was beautiful. Thank you... Now I'll just be here...reading Eponine dying in several other fanfics...
Die Facing Our Foes chapter 1 . 12/29/2012
Well, it wasn't bad. Better than I thought it would be. At least Enjolras is partly in character. I just don't think that E/E could work. I just don't see any basis for it.
IlsditJ'aifolle chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
Hi! I know I reviewed before, but I wasn't signed on. I just want to mention that I recomended this story on my profile. You really changed my mind about EponinexEnjolras stories.

-IlsditJ'aifolle
IlsditJ'aifolle chapter 1 . 1/11/2012
Cool stOry! I'm ushally not that into e&e stories, but this one's pretty good! I love how you imply that enjolras loves eponine, but don't say it out right. One thing that I think would've been cool is if eponine had gone on thinking enjolras was Marius, and kissed him as she died, like she does to marius in the musical. I really wish you had done that, but great story anyways!

-IlsditJ'aifolle ;-D
Hugo Purist chapter 1 . 3/23/2011
As a general rule, I dislike Enjy/Eppie. However. You, my dear, have a very simple yet powerful voice of writing. I like it. You truly convinced me, in this story, that this couple is do-able. Thank you. I look forward to seeing more from you.
I love Neville chapter 1 . 3/22/2011
That was so sad. My favorite pairing, and it was beautifully written.
MRS.CULLEN1122 chapter 1 . 3/22/2011
wow...

amazing fic

this was so sad but soo sweet

great job

my heart nearly broke when ponnine said that that was the nicest thing someone had done 4 her

awww

engy and eponine are such a cute not really pairing if u know what i mean ha

ur a really good writer!

plz write more

Jade
greenlightning chapter 1 . 3/22/2011
Weee! You're an Eponine/Enjolras believer! And, I love how Enjolras is sweet to her. I love the story!