Reviews for Still Waters
StuckInThePast chapter 3 . 4/24/2011
I was just reading this the other day and wondering if it was going to be continued. I won't write a long review as I'm very busy today, but I loved this! Beautifully adorable! Thank you for posting it :D
Katie Duggan's Niece chapter 3 . 4/23/2011
I must confess to some frustration with the chapter, not because Anna and Mr. Bates did not consummate their relationship but because they are still very much in limbo. However, that seems fitting, especially in light of the canon.

That also avoids cliches: There's an affirmation of love between them but also acknowledgement of the complications, and of the protectiveness, the respect.

And there were a whole series of lines I took note of:

"...seductress or not, she was left in no doubt about which of them had more experience."

"Thomas had warned her against city life, but perhaps it was the city that ought to be warned about the girl who was coming to it."

"...she thought of it as the kiss she'd wanted to give him when he'd brought her a tray of food..."

"And I never thought I'd ever have Thomas to thank for anything."
linnybrown chapter 3 . 4/23/2011
This was marvelous. You've captured the facets of Bates' and Anna's personalities so well...the gentle, the emotional, the teasing...

I'm dying to know about the deleted scene...I bought the DVD that was distributed by PBS, so its special features are severely lacking :(
PBCD chapter 3 . 4/23/2011
Oh, you can only imagine the histrionics that ensued when I saw this posted! It attracted questions that I did NOT answer! :-)

You took me by surprise, in the best possible way and you crafted such a beautiful arc-the pace is perfect and it ends so gracefully, in the just right place.

You made me sigh at so many points-his reaction to the base of her throat, lucky, lucky her up against the door, the way he pleads for her to call him John, how he looks after her when she's not feeling well, and the way he dresses her at the end.

I love the rhythm of his anger flashing and fading and how Anna knows how to respond to it. I love how she calls him on his feelings of guilt and reasons through them. I love...really everything about this. :-) I'm so impressed at how much you were able to cover in this one piece with such an elegant economy of words.

You made me laugh, too. The way they tease each other is adorable. I smiled at the idea of his nasty thoughts and I laughed at Anna knocking back her water and the army being a blessed relief after John's mother.

And, most importantly, you did it! And not just once, but twice! I doff my cap to you-I was literally in tears! I feel I owe you something now-name your price!

I could go on gushing for quite a while, and I'm sure I will after re-reading (again), but suffice it to say you did a brilliant job with this! If this is the reward that comes from dithering and hand-wringing I will cheerfully volunteer for extended duty.

Well done!
linnybrown chapter 2 . 4/19/2011
I keep re-reading this and I'm thoroughly entertained every time, just like how I can re-watch an episode and instantly be immersed. You can't leave it there. Please write more!
Chickwriter chapter 2 . 4/14/2011
Well, you do know how to leave a reader hanging! The voices are so like those on the show that this feels real. Please do continue!
A-Stretched-Mind chapter 1 . 4/8/2011
how completely and terribly lovely!

i love the way bates became so powerful to defend anna. just beautiful and it brightened my day!
welshirishhybrid chapter 2 . 3/31/2011
Love the dialogue-very true to character. I'm glad you are continuing the story it is very gripping!
StuckInThePast chapter 2 . 3/30/2011
What a great surprise after a bad day to find an unexpected continuation! And very full of wonderful angst. William and Gwen helping them was lovely, and it was great to see that aftermath. Thank you very much for this! :D
Ana Bates chapter 2 . 3/30/2011
Its fantastic!
TheShippyQueen chapter 2 . 3/30/2011
YAY! Love this chapter so much!

I loved how Gwen and William helped them get time alone, that was really sweet.

I also love dark and brooding Bates...OOPS sorry, got a bit distracted there by that thought ;)

Looking forward to the next chapter!

xx
MinervaLorraine chapter 2 . 3/29/2011
Fantastic!
SyfyRomantic chapter 2 . 3/29/2011
Oh! Such a cruel place to stop! That was a wonderful addition. I loved that William asked Mr. Bates to teach him to fight-that was very sweet. And sweet Gwen...I hope we still get to see her in series 2. I look forward to Chapter 3!
PrettyDarkEyes chapter 2 . 3/29/2011
Aw, loved this! I really enjoyed that William and Gwen got involved in helping Anna and Bates - seems just like the kind of thing they would do. The last paragraph had my heart in my throat - I experienced this same type of incident. While Bates and Anna are in a truly intimate moment, he especially is seen as very vulnerable. Please, oh please, write more... and HURRY!
Katie Duggan's Niece chapter 2 . 3/29/2011
My predominant feeling after chapter 1 was the sense of how high the stakes were for Bates and Anna, and you didn't disappoint with your continuation of the story. Both of them know nothing can be easily sorted out.

I did, however, enjoy a bit of a wicked smile over Mrs. Patmore and her open mouth, and everyone's willingness to lie for the sake of Anna and Mr. Bates. It's a good thing they have such good, loyal friends. Otherwise, scandal could arise by Anna's waiting in a man's chamber.

But how will you resolve this? Is "resolve" even the right word?
48 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »