Reviews for Dying to Be Him
Guest chapter 1 . 2/16/2014
Hey I know it's been forever since you've updated, but Cal Hockley is my favorite character from Titanic. He really loved Rose, and not a lot of people realize it, let alone write about it. I think Rose and Cal would make a great couple if she have him a chance. I guess what I'm asking is that you would be so kind as to update this story. I understand that it may have been a long time, and that you might not have the time in your life right now. This story is amazing because it's so completely true. We (the viewers) put the blame on Cal, calling him the villain. Yet we don't even attempt to see it from his point of view.
Ale chapter 2 . 1/20/2013
I really liked the introspection here :)

Both stories were very well written and thoughtful.
A lot of people are able to see Jack's side of things, but I feel like a LOT of people don't even give Cal a chance. I know that he did some bad things in the movie, but they didn't make him out to be totally uncaring/unfeeling. Like you said, there are several instances in the film where you can tell that he really cares about Rose. And to know that someone you love not only doesn't love you back, but hates you...I imagine that it's the absolute worst feeling. He knows that she was cheating on him, so his intense dislike of Jack is justified. His actions, not really. But I feel like I can understand why. But it feels like most people just paint him as a totally unfeeling, irredeemable douchebag.

I just liked reading a fic that actually made him out to be a real character with real feelings and not a 2 dimensional villain. Thank you :)

Note that I liked Jack's too, but it was especially nice to actually get to read something that humanizes Cal (while still leaving his true character in tact too!)
Hannabeth Sparrow chapter 2 . 5/9/2012
Wow this would actually be interesting to see the events of the movie from Cal's perspective, what really brings it home is this line; "what if you were being forced to marry him, and I was the way out? Would you love me then?" That one sentence alone actually made me think about it; what if the roles were reversed? I love it, you did an awesome job
10MidnightArrow11 chapter 2 . 4/7/2012
This is just the kind of story I was looking for. It's great to know there are people that see Cal for what he really is instead of as a bad guy, because, frankly he wasn't. Favorited!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/6/2011
wow. im so impressed. im positively in love with this! its genius! pls write more titanic stuff, you have a gift. :)

both chapters were good, i loved chapter 1 especially though
Frieda van den Huetten chapter 1 . 3/24/2011
Too bad it’s just a drabble! I agree with you that Jack seems “ridiculously self-assured” and I’d like to read more about what’s really going on his mind and why he acts and thinks the way he does and how that changes when he meets Rose. Are you sure you don’t want to turn this into a full length fic?