Reviews for The Spiral Path
Random number generator chapter 3 . 4/11/2013
Congratulations for this galleon scam, I thought about something similar and your idea is far less overcomplicated.
TheWickedTruth89 chapter 4 . 2/25/2013
Great chapter, any chance of an update?
Pirate Queen ofthe 21st centry chapter 4 . 1/13/2013
updaaaate! please!
LittleLionLass chapter 3 . 9/8/2012
So excited about the update that I'm going to reread the entire saga. Thank you for breathing a little life back into this!
PinaPoe chapter 3 . 9/2/2012
All caught up now :) This is living up to all my expectations and I will follow it no matter how long it takes. I am loving the characterizations in this the lack of Black and White in most of the main players. The use of the red chess pieces is a fine descriptor, ditto the two frosted pieces. I am looking forward to getting more incite on what the repercussions of Madam Bones joining the spiral will be. Also those returning to Hogwarts, will you be following them as they are there or just an occasional blip on them while Holly does her thing?
Guest chapter 4 . 9/2/2012
Good chapter.
Kythorian chapter 4 . 9/2/2012
Wow! Glad to see this update. I assumed this was abandoned. Though I am going to have to re-read the whole thing now...I only vaguely remember what is going on.

This has to be the most unique version of the Tonks parents in all of fanfiction too.
ShiningPhoenix0 chapter 4 . 9/2/2012
Yay! Update!
PinaPoe chapter 4 . 9/2/2012
I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to see an update on this. The prequel to this one was one of my favorite fanfics without a doubt and set up a lot of fantastic things for this one. I was waiting for it to be complete before I read it but I am going to be a bit more supportive and get started on it now. It's great to see you continue and I am looking forward to the read.
MarinePotterfan chapter 3 . 7/24/2012
I hope that one day you complete this story thanks for writing.

MPF
Not-A-Spy chapter 3 . 7/8/2012
Oh, dear. Now I'll be wondering who is Devo's spy until it is revealed. Or possibly forever.

Excellent story, the previous as well.
lilypadandprongs4eva chapter 3 . 8/5/2011
i do love this story very much, as far as hpff goes, i do think this is the best/ my favourite story out there. hope to see it updated soon, im just re-reading. Pottermore reminded me of it when i chose the username MidnightHolly. So now i'll be reminded of this story all the time!
Royal Gryphon chapter 3 . 7/26/2011
It took me two days to read through all of this and the last one, it was time well spent. I truly enjoyed your writing and if your first chapters are stumbling as you say mine must be but an infant crawling. I have learned from your writing, and i thank you for the instruction. On a side not i enjoyed the journal entry style it provided an alternate read and made tings more interesting to read as it created suspense or surprise as appropriate. I have noting against the style you use now but the journal provided some nice flavor to your text that ,any others lack. As for the plot i enjoy it very much, I have always liked the female harry stories though so few are written well, and yours is one of those. I cannot wait for the next chapter though i don't know when it will come. I fully understand the troubles brought by a busy life and i thank you dor the time you have spent on this story.

your grateful reader,

Royal.
Gullwhacker chapter 3 . 7/26/2011
It surprises me that this fanfic doesn't have more reviews. Unfortunately, I am a lazy reviewer at the best of time and actually leave a comment perhaps one time in a thousand; on the other hand, this saga deserves more attention.

Yes, it's darker than canon in a number of ways. On the other hand, it feels like it has a different approach than most in that direction; rather than having Harry using nastier spells and being unstoppable, you have honest cleverness in a darker-than-canon world.

I'll confess to skimming past or outright skipping lemon chapters, though I'll look into Spiral Tangents for plot points now and again. Frankly, I find the whole saga to be well-thought-out and well-written. Why this doesn't have more followers, I can scarce imagine. (Though I do recall a review from before the Holly/Harry reveal whining about the story not being about Harry, and I laughed and laughed because I knew what the twist was.)

Perhaps it's a story with niche appeal, but I seem to fit that niche. I'm reminded of the 'When They Cry' visual novels - dark stories full of betrayal and murder, lightened by day-to-day silliness, and possessing a deep plot that implores the reader to puzzle out the truth behind lies. With the Spiral Path (and its antecedents), I find myself hard-pressed to predict what will come next and yet eagerly anticipating it all the same. This applies to both the story's plot and to your own deviations from or interpretations of canon.

For instance, this chapter. Resolution of the Potter Manor difficulties has been a while coming, and given Holly's tendencies one could anticipate this intermediate outcome (for I hold doubts that this is the end of the trouble, knowing the goblins). Likewise, the Notts obtaining the manor for a song made sense, given corruption in the Ministry and the Banks. Loyalty of the Potter elf - caught me off guard, but definitely sensible. Bribing Theo - Holly really is a Slytherin.

But then you have Dobby revealing what house-elves are in this world, in a manner that raises questions as much as it answers them. Why do powerful creatures allow themselves to be enslaved? Penance for some past betrayal. But what was that betrayal? I doubt we will learn in the course of this story, but one can imagine any number of things.

More surprising and yet inevitable was the temporary seeming of an accord between 'Devo' and Holly. Both putting up pretenses of amicability, which shocks and yet fits. Why not be reasonable? But naturally, the question became one of 'who was better at backstabbing the other'. In the end, point to Holly.

All in all, a fun chapter. "Fun", I say, and yet in a way it is. The most prominent question remaining to my mind is that of Snape's allegiance - and that question, I'm sure, will remain unanswered for quite some time.

And yet, the answer could be obvious. Severus Snape is on Snape's side, as he always is. But is that too naive - how might he really feel about Lily's daughter?

I suppose I will have to wonder while I anticipate continuation.
MissGardenia chapter 3 . 5/6/2011
I should mention up front that I have mostly enjoyed your story, as dark and horrific as it is. That said, I found an element of it so unbelievably...I don't know if I want to say misogynistic or patriarchal here so I'll say both...that I had to leave a note. I get that a crux of the story is that horrible things keep happening to Holly, but she perseveres and wins in the end, although not without alot of scars. However, the whole business with her getting castigated for getting an abortion? Especially one for a baby that was the product of a gang-rape? Yeah, that is so beyond the pale.

I mean, the other central element of the story seems to surround the ministry policy of "bright witches must be dimmed". Why is there any metaphysical basis in that policy at all? It just doesn't seem necessary, given you've already come up with various other reasons why women would be oppressed. I mean, just the fact that pro-choice is a cornerstone of the modern day women's movement whereas the story seems trying to follow the pro-life agenda...
58 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »