Reviews for Personal Impressions
Kalamantige chapter 1 . 5/26
Hi, it's me, MerulaGFM from Deviantart.

I’m posting this as a review to your essay and some parts of these are my response to your reply in Deviantart.

First I want to thank you for posting this essay. ) It's really informative and you gave Goki a great justice. And I understand why you like him so much. It makes sense (based on your own preference.)

I respect Goki and his character and I admire the fact that he was more protective of humans especially of Chiaki; he was even willing to sacrifice his own life for her and in order to not be a nuisance to Chiaki and Zenki in battle. Indeed that was very noble of him. But I think the creator made him that way to conform to what the Japanese myth says about him. Same goes to Zenki- part of him is darkness and I guess that explains his egoistic and arrogant nature. Besides, I think it’s necessary that the two were in contrast to one another. It would be confusing and boring if the two has the same personalities-I think it’s necessary that both characters are so different from each other in order for each character to shine in their own way.

I still ship Zenki x Chiaki though but I respect your own OTP, too. It makes sense that your essay says that Chiaki deserves Goki more than Zenki because Goki treats her better and if I rely on your info, it wouldn’t be a surprised if Goki and Chiaki would actually end up together, get married and have kids just like what happened to the original Goki with the mortal maiden 1300 years ago. Heck, even before I read the essay, I already got the impression that Goki is more handsome than Zenki based on a level of being a bishounen (this seeing through the POV of fangirls in general).
And yes, I agree that there’s more hope between Akira and Chiaki ending up together and actually make it work than Zenki x Chiaki. Because if it were Zenki x Chiaki, it’s going to be tragic! And THIS is why I still prefer Zenki x Chiaki if you ask my point of view as another potential KDZ fanfic writer/reader who got a thing for tragic stories. Not that I hate a happy endings. But I like it more if my OTP got a potential fanfic stories/headcanons that are full of challenges to the point that could lead to heartache, sacrifices involving emotions (not only sacrificing one’s life), unrequited feelings, making hard decisions and unspoken thoughts and feelings. This is more interesting for me and I prefer this better than any fanfic stories that are somehow mary-sues or too sweet to the point that some characters became OOC and those with easily-gained happy endings or that are always rainbows and butterflies. Not that I don’t see such a good potential fanfic story/headcanon coming to Goki x Chiaki, too, but for me, such potential makes more sense between Zenki and Chiaki which I believe won’t really make them OOC at all if a writer would do a good job with the story (if there’s a writer good enough to write such a story). Though sadly, there seem to be no such fanfic yet (in English) posted here in . But I really believe this is possible.

No offense, like I said, I respect Goki, but the fact that he’s (probably almost) PERFECT, makes him NOT exactly my favorite. There are fans that don’t really admire perfect character based on the fact that he/she is perfect.

But like you said, we have our own preferences. Although if you ask me, one of the reasons why I personally like Zenki more is NOT because of his appearance, size *cough* of his body or his level of sex appeal like you jokingly mention why some fans prefer Zenki x Chiaki because Zenki looks better that way with Chiaki (okay, maybe a little bit of his sex appeal but not the major reasons LOL!) but because of exactly what you said. Yes, I agree with you in your comment in Deviantart that Zenki is one grumpy big baby-which I think is the reason why other fans (including me) like him more because ‘that’ makes his character a challenge in some fans’ imagination/fantasy (especially to some fanfic writers, though I can see that there aren’t much of KDZ fanfics in ) -his character got that kind of flaw that which has potential for development (like Vegeta’s character development in Dragon Ball Z and therefore it seems more fans like him than Goku-for me, Zenki seem to have the same potential to some fans imagination, too, at least he has that EFFECT to other fans). And no, I didn’t mean the kind of character development that will makes Zenki overprotective towards Chiaki or any of the traits similar to Akira that will make Zenki OOC, but that same level of character development in the manga. Although, too bad KDZ manga had already ended in Volume 12. I think if the mangaka actually continued the manga, some more will happen to Zenki’s character development, despite what you mentioned in the essay. And maybe not that the kind I personally prefer and imagine, but somehow I think so.

Also, for me it’s a good thing, too that Zenki is dependent to other characters in order to power up and defeat the enemies because that will make Chiaki’s and Goki’s role even more important in the story (I think you make this a point, too in the essay). But like I said, perfect characters are not my favorite.

Also, another reason why I like Zenki more is because he got this Tsundere vibe. Some fans are suckers for Tsundere characters. Or maybe it’s just me. I’ve seen the anime (though I’m having doubts if the anime was even canon after seeing the manga and read this essay) and yes I’ve read the manga, too-at least the English-translated ones posted in some manga sites, and thanks to you, the complete 12 Volumes of Chinese version is available for download online. I downloaded them all and even though I can’t read and understand Chinese, I read the illustrations carefully though. It was not that hard to understand what was going on really.

The part where Zenki actually went furious because Chiaki’s (was it Chiaki’s?) pet dog was killed in front of him, to the point that Zenki managed to regain his original form without Chiaki’s spell/bracelet did prove of Zenki’s tender side-this actually was a pleasant shock to me because somehow, for me, it concludes that Zenki is capable of attachment (and MAYBE of affection, too though MAYBE he doesn’t show it the same way Goki does since Goki mingled with humans for a long time while Zenki was sealed like what your essay said. Now, I can’t help but wonder IF Zenki was actually given a chance to mingle with humans longer-I know you’ll say he’d rather be sealed because a world without fighting is boring for him, but what IF?! I don’t know myself, but somehow, I think he might have the same chance like Goki, though very little).

Also, for me it’s a good thing that Goki seem to be stronger than Zenki, and that despite his egotistic side and arrogance, he got some respect to Goki. And that Zenki didn’t always have to be the one to defeat all the bad guys. And it’s refreshing that despite his arrogance, he showed a little nervousness and fear once in a while (how adorable X3).

Anyway, these are all just my personal opinion based on my own preference. And like I said before, I respect your OTP and understand your preference. Though canon or not, I still ship Zenki x Chiaki based on my own personal reasons. ;)
X-san chapter 1 . 12/29/2014
I've not learnt about KDZ manga until recently. Thank you for spreading the joy. It's a nice surprise to know that your favorite character has undergone considerable evolution. Akira/Goki has never been given the real spotlight in the anime, yet he is undoubtedly a paradigm of righteousness and perfection, as seen in the original manga.
Nikki chapter 1 . 5/25/2013
EXCELLENT piece of analysis.
Well done, Azu-chan.;)
Erameris chapter 1 . 3/24/2013
About the manga and anime differences

I completely agree on the dissapointing differences between the manga and the anime.

First of all I must point out that I’ve only read the translated chapters of the manga, and you already know there isn’t a complete and accurate translation to date. The rest of the chapters I’ve seen and flipped through the pages, of the chinese version.

Despite of this I can clearly see that Zenki in the manga is more considerate and not such a jerk like in the anime, where he’s practically devoid of any feelings for the sake of exacerbating the simple minded side of him, that revolves around the seeds and the seeds alone. This comes in detriment of Zenki’s character development, making him nothing more than an accessory to Chiaki. He has relevance only during fights and is not even given screen time outside of that. Which, btw, takes away from them all the “pairing potential” that may have taken place during the first season, making the all ZenxChi idea nothing more than a whim of the fans that can’t conceive a story where there’s nothing romantic going on between the two main protagonists. Which, unfortunately, I have the impression are the majority.

In general the second season is the worst of the anime, unfortunately this is when Goki appears. Which means that, unlike Zenki who at least got some decent moments during season 1, Goki wasn’t even given a chance to shine. He’s not developed at all, both guardians have little relevance during the second season and many things about Zenki and Goki’s nature, as well as other things that happen in the anime, are not explained at all. I see big plot holes there.
And don’t get me started on the end when Chiaki entrusts the fate of humanity to Zenki’s desire of beating Inugami, THAT IS NONSENSE. Not only that Chiaki should know better but also that GOKI SHOULD KNOW BETTER than to let them do such a stupid thing. And I say this because Goki is supposed to be the second in command among the guardians, if Ozunu and Vasara are not there to lead then he should at least advice Chiaki on the right course of action to take.

About Zenki and Goki’s strength

About your assumption that Goki is stronger than Zenki, it makes sense to me and I think that would be really cool because it justifies many things in the dynamic between them. I think Goki is stronger and Zenki secretly respects him for that.

At this point I’m stopping again to make clear I’m a fan of both guardians, I have always been a fan of both, not just now. What changed lately is that, thanks to you, I know them better and like them more for that.
I said it makes sense to me because I don’t think Zenki HAS TO BE the strongest just because he’s the main focus of the story, or at least b/c it’s named after him. In fact, it’s more interesting if he isn't, then Zenki’s behaviour and frenetic attempts to prove himself the strongest have grounds... that he’s not the strongest and he can’t bear this, so he tries to change his situation by fighting like a possessed demon, like he always does.
I don’t think he even has to be the strongest of Ozunu’s guardians in order to be a valuable member of the “squad”. I think Zenki clearly isn’t the strongest and yet he is an important part of the team because he’s unwavering until the last consequence and follows the Seeds like a hound.
Goki on the other hand is more on the leading side, he has more responsibilities than Zenki. He not only fights, but also protects, and knows the nature of his demon comrades very well and, therefore, how to handle them. In this part I’m only guessing but, considering Goki’s unconditional loyalty and irreproachable behavior, I assume Ozunu trust a lot in him. And this may be one of the reasons Ozunu didn’t seal Goki, like you mentioned, many critical things in the story wouldn't have happened without Goki’s intervention. I think maybe one of his responsibilities in this era is to make sure the secret knowledge of Ozunu is preserved and passed onto Chiaki. If this is true, then Goki’s role will be a lot more relevant now because he’s pretty much in charge of “babysitting” Zenki and making sure the inexperienced Chiaki follows the right path and reachs out to her full potential.

To be continued.
RedWingedAngel002 chapter 1 . 9/4/2012
Dammmmn, my friend, that was brilliant! I really need to reread the manga with new eyes. Thank you for sharing! :D I can just see the passion of this, from you.
Mr X chapter 1 . 1/30/2012
This is an excellent thorough analysis of the best male protagonist in Zenki series. Akira/Goki will be touched to know a fangirl who could understand him deeply like you because thanks to you I realize several of my mistakes and now I'm his supporter!
Crystalwhisper chapter 1 . 12/23/2011
Well, on the technical side: This is a very good piece of persuasive text. You have, be it purposefully or unknowingly, used many techniques of persuasion. And your thoughts and points of view are extremely well supported with valid reasons. Great job! :D (You really notice some stuff that I don't!)

I loved the way you defended Akira/Goki! You seriously did him justice! I'm not exactly disappointed on the anime, I was just kind of shocked. Still, anime is better than manga because of thefact that it's animated, isn't it? ;-)

I think that the pairing should be Zenki/Chiaki/Goki, though. Chiaki does seem to care about Zenki pretty much. But I have to say that you're right, maybe it's just mutual affection as with Zenki. (And on some ocassions, Zenki saves Chiaki solely because she's the only peraon who can change him back-the first few eps show that. And he's never completely loyal.) XP

Also, I'm still desperately clinging on to the hope that the manga series will continue. :'(

Overall, awesome analysis and personal thoughts!
Yuna chapter 1 . 12/3/2011
I love this essay. Wellwritten and purely amazing, it made my feelings for Goki propel incalculable distances.
Fukue chapter 1 . 9/10/2011
Great work of an essay. I appreciate what you feel about Goki since he has the tendency to be so much greater in the manga in comparison to the anime. It's good to see such a devoted Kishin doji Zenki fan like you nowadays. ChiakixGoki just ROCK the world!:thumb:
Iespan chapter 1 . 7/6/2011
Haven been a fan of your fic there!I believe this essay is quite amazing and detailed,you did change the readers' view in such a nice way. Congrats!
Goddess Rhiannon chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
Hi!

I've just finish reading you essay about Akira/Goki, it's really well-written and neat! I could never write like that in English! XD

I love the manga much more than the anime too, although I must say Goki was never one of my favourites, I strongly believe you have a point. Indeed, I still like Zenki more, and the Chiaki/Zenki pairing, but that is MY point of you, of course XDD

It's a pitty that, as you mentioned, the end of the manga was so abrupt, I'd love to see more of it! *_* But not a chance I guess T_T

Again, great work!
Meicdon13 chapter 1 . 5/26/2011
I thought you might find this interesting XD

http(colon)(slash)(slash) (slash)facts(slash)ask(underscore)ozunu(underscore)who(underscore)

I'd really love to read the manga to see how different it is from the anime, but I don't think it was ever scanlated or translated into English *sigh*
UzumakiHatake chapter 1 . 5/1/2011
Im so pleased to see someone stand out and defend such a good character as essay an' writing style and hope to read more from you.
Sanskrit chapter 1 . 4/28/2011
Really like the well-detailed writing style of never known the day when I can read a decent work dedicated for such a good character like Goki, dunno why few people were able to appreciate him like me n you for writing again.
Enma chapter 1 . 4/14/2011
Having watched the series I had long recognized Goki had a thing for Chiaki, but I could not find the courage to declare it because the Zenki/Chiaki fans were so your material I felt ashamed of myself...:( yes, he is so special because he can fight for love n peace. Thank you for broadening our mind.