Reviews for Green-Eyed Snake
SunnyGold chapter 1 . 2/13
HOLY CRAP IN A BUCKET

This is way better than ANY fanfiction has ANY right to be and I am IMPRESSED (and it takes a LOT to impress me let me tell you). I will definitely be reading more!

I love the idea of this story, changing the way Harry views things in the wizarding world simply by changing who he meets in the beginning. It makes for a very interesting and different kind of story and I love it :3
readingaccount chapter 13 . 1/28
Love it! Awesome story.
Manga Bear chapter 13 . 11/12/2014
Im loving how Draco is being so loyal to Harry, hating how Harry is just letting the wizarding world affect him and trailing Draco as much as Crabbe and Goyal, and im sadden by Harry's treatment of the Gryfindors (hermione and neville). It's hard not having the golden trio, but I really want Harry to openly stick up for Hermione instead letting Draco, like in the lib. scene. I'm slightly appalled that Harry didn't get into a confrontation with Draco. Draco may be his friend and not let hurt him, but Harry still lets Draco say rude things to and about other people. Also, poor Neville.
well anyways this is all so awesome, thanks I enjoyed it. On to Green Eyed Snake II! Wait, he is going to play Slytherin seeker right? what about H/G! As your story stand now, the Weasleys HATE Harry. This should interesting.
CreslinWest chapter 3 . 8/3/2014
I love the stories where Hagrid is still Harry's friend even if he's sorted into Slytherin, I think it would be somewhat OOC for Hagrid to reject Harry as some author's seem to think.
TinaMaki chapter 11 . 5/24/2014
Poor Neville;(
On the other hand, Harry did have a rather eventful time. So it's rather understandable he forgot...
TinaMaki chapter 2 . 5/23/2014
Isn't it actually Veritaserum?;)
But I guess I'm just a bit pedantic...
I do like your story up to now.
MangaMagic chapter 11 . 3/19/2014
You're going to make me cry. Please tell me you made it up to Neville, I csn't imagine that boy so sad, it breaks my heart!
Angel chapter 13 . 12/10/2013
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! I've seen people do this before, but they tended to - like you said - "let loose with their usual style". I applaud you for trying (and succeeding) to stay true to the original feel of Potter, and your good decision not to highlight the excerpts of the original text.

May all the great plot bunnies find themselves with you! ;)
Rhys chapter 10 . 10/9/2013
Re: Unwelcome Guest,
Admittedly FFnet isn't really an ideal environment for interaction, but I'm a big fan of constructive criticism, so...I do what I can. And I really appreciate the input, thank you!

I believe I'll leave the direct quotes the way they are (just because I'm hardly qualified to re-Britishify the whole text, and I feel like if I start that, then where would I stop?), but you make a good point regarding realistic dialect. I'll go through and switch the sections I wrote back over to more appropriate Brit-speak.

If you come across any other issues in the course of your reading, please don't hesitate to let me know! I really do appreciate it, thanks.
Unwelcome Guest chapter 10 . 10/9/2013
Um, wow, I wasn't expecting to get a direct response.
I think on the whole, it would be best to stick with what the characters themselves would say. The "posher" Slytherins like Malfoy would say "Mother". Harry, the Weasleys and other characters from less snooty backgrounds would say "Mum". Other than that, I wouldn't worry about diverging from the text when it comes to things like "Mummy" and whatnot (I don't recall many instances of that from the English novels). But I can say for sure that they never call their mothers "Mom", and it's a little jarring when I read them doing so. It doesn't annoy me exactly, it just breaks immersion very slightly.
Rhys chapter 8 . 10/9/2013
Re: U.G,
I'm actually aware of the locational distinction between mum and mom, but the problem is, I'm quoting and paraphrasing vast sections of the text, and unfortunately I have to work off of the American publication because that's the one I own, wherein "mom" is used instead (because the first volume was very heavily tweaked for American audiences alas), and since I'm taking so many liberties with the story, I don't want to just blithely change things because I ASSUME they're different/incorrect/I know what they should be/etc. Because what if in the British version, it says "mother" or "mummy" or any of a hundred other different things instead? I have no way of knowing for sure. Heck, the sentences might be entirely different in the original publication. So I stick with what I know for sure, only making corrections/alterations of things that are absolutely certain.

So then I try and stay with the tone established there for the rest of the story; hence, "mom" cropping up a lot in this chapter. I did try and slide in a "mum" when Harry got more emotional about it, as a sort of transition, but I just didn't want it to look too glaringly different to have "mom" in the section about the Mirror, and then consistently use mum everywhere else.

I'm sorry it annoyed you, though. Do you think it would be less disconcerting to just swap over to "mum" whenever I'm not quoting directly? Because this is actually something I thought about, but decided on the only partial use of "mum" in hopes of making it LESS noticeable...but if that isn't working, I could be convinced to go back to my gut instinct of "mum"ing it all.

Your thoughts?
U.G chapter 8 . 10/9/2013
Harry is not American and would not talk like one. I don't mind you using American-English spellings, but it gets a bit irritating hearing these British kids referring to their mothers as "Mom". It's "Mum".
DJ8210 chapter 13 . 7/13/2013
Harry seems like too much of a follower and lacks the .spunk he was supposed to have. Oh well, I'll consider this as an OC
lambtoslaughter chapter 3 . 5/17/2013
I truly love your story so far! It's extremely disconcerting to think Harry's path could have been so dramatically different had a tiny thing like who he met first on platform 9 and 3/4 been altered. I'm glad he met the Weasleys! Still, it's great how well you are explaining what and why things are happening the way they are. It makes sense that, had someone told him how great Slytherin was, instead of how awful, that he'd want to end up there. It also makes a lot of sense that he is so desperate to prove himself... for his dead parents as well as to live up to the hype and hoopla that surrounds his name and scar. Can't wait to continue reading!
Mother of Tears chapter 13 . 3/18/2013