Reviews for Lady Molly Married
DezoPenguin chapter 1 . 6/2/2012
I found myself quite surprised to have found that anyone had even heard of Lady Molly, let alone written fanfiction about her continuing adventures, and in an enjoyable pastiche of Baroness Orczy's style. I look forward to reading further chapters.
Jan. McNeville chapter 5 . 2/28/2012
I love this story so much! Lord Percy is as charmingly written as his presumptive ancestor and the mystery was wonderfully clever. I don't suppose there could be more soon?
Jan. McNeville chapter 1 . 12/15/2011
How I loved this chapter! The sheer fact that someone else knows and loves the dear Baroness Orczy's lady detective as I do is enough to brighten even the grayest December, but when a fellow fan of Lady Molly manages to so adeptly provide a sequel, it must be taken as a sign that Providence likes fanfickers after all.

Your research is perfect, with the 1905 setting completely correct in including the permanent wave and the Ever-Ready electric torch. (Interestingly to note, Mary Granard would be using one which weighed just under two pounds and had a lead-acid battery, plus a rather fragile bulb costing the equivalent of $20 in today's money. My own husband is an amateur expert on flashlights.) And I love how the Baroness's tendency to humorously mention or otherwise play up assumed 'characteristics of nationality,' something which so many admirers of the Scarlet Pimpernel and Lady Molly gloss right over as an 'artifact of the time' or 'fair for its' day,' was retained and in such a tasteful way as to not offend any readers of a mentioned nationality. (When the Baroness wrote of the frugal Scots and the romantic but often impecunious Irish, I was personally never offended -being partly descended from each and rather proud of being exactly as she described.)

This will seem, perhaps, an insignificant detail, but seeing how you took the time to assign poor, deprived de Mazareen a 'gentleman's gentleman' from his military days and who had stuck up for him during the dark time of his unjust incarceration positively warmed my heart. Not only does the implied relationship remind me of Lord Peter Wimsey's faithful Bunter, but the potential for a pair-the-spares between de Mazareen's loyal servant and Mary Granard (who is loyal to Lady Molly as a Klingon to honor itself,) just made me happy as can be. If nothing else, it's nice to know Hubert has someone to play cards with while Molly and Mary are off solving mysteries, like they do.

I'm almost afraid to read the next chapter (just finished the first,) lest I finish it up too quickly and be once more deprived. If you felt like keeping this going at a rate of about one a month for the next, oh, seventeen years and change, I, for one, would return as faithfully as a cat to the scratching post, admiring all the way.

Very well done!
patfln chapter 5 . 8/12/2011
Lady Molly investigates again! She was created by Baroness Orczy in the book Lady Molly of Scotland Yard, published in the twentieth century, left to languish until reprinted in the 21st we finally get to read some more adventures of the dazzling detective after she's been married. Great job on these stories. I am so delighted. I thoroughly enjoyed all five chapters and hope for more. Dare I speculate? Her handsome husband will surely be called to serve in World War I, as well as the dashing Percy. We all know what happens to handsome husbands in wars. Will Molly and Mary be forced to set up their own agency in the 1920s? Also I've often wondered about Mary's Irish last name. In fact when I did a reading of some Lady Molly stories I gave her an Irish accent to better set her off against the RP of my lady. Could Mary be pulled into some shenanigans with the Fenians in 1916 and even consider leaving Molly to go back and fight for independence? And best yet in speculations how about a prequel where we found out how Molly and Mary really met? Thanks so much for these stories. A dream come true to find more Lady Molly tales. Best wishes
Clio1792 chapter 5 . 4/19/2011
There were so many good characters here-the confrontation with I'm-on-the-make-for-anything-in-a-skirt-Effingham ws spectacular...but oh the Russian! He was surely the best, and his speech the best researched. Oh how it rocked! Happy reader, I!

Molly losing her temper and quoting Horace was priceless; so was Sir Percy's proposal to Mary. He's pretty sure of himself, but heck, he's a spy: used to reading people, what?

Great rebus, and denoument...and clever to make the discovery of Ursula's change of heart the cause of her death at the hands of a fellow spy...but, do the British have the authority to hang a German for killing another German, for political reasons, even on British soil? I'm guessing, that in the dance of pre-World-War I hostilities that constituted "the Great Game," Fraulein Natter might well have secured an extradition-and a pardon, from the Kaiser's government.

Thanks for a story that was at once entertaining & educational...

Clio1792
Clio1792 chapter 4 . 4/19/2011
"Lady Margaret is a pleasant woman to whom I suspect intrigue of the highest level means figuring out where to hide her husband's birthday present."

Oh, oh, so funny-the whole rationale for the murder, here, and the chemistry between Mary Granard and the contemporary Sir Percy is so excellent, that I wish there was some more forceful venue for this-it is so good...and the way Mary refers to contemporary magazines for the architecture of the castle is great; the historical background for the treaty and the interplay of Germans, Irish, Russian, and Americans in the political jockeying of the treaty is just, just perfect.

Great annoying American; and Lady Molly's in excellent form as she begins her interrogation (her gentle encouragement to Dewhurst is very touching)...Lady Phoebe is a great character and Mary's meditation on German script is HYSTERICAL!

We both know this is better than anything Orczy would/could have written-but you manage to capture her style while you outdo her content,

Clio1792 chapter 3 . 4/2/2011
Ok, first things first: I LOVED the premise of this story! A polio-stricken heroine who is a classicist and won her husband's heart with the intricacies of her mind!

YIPPEEEE!

Would Baroness Emma have thought of inventing such a lady? Well, you know my answer to that, so we won't go there...

And actually, the reference to "these dreadful Bolsheviks and their violence" is sorta consistent with Baroness Emma's politics...as is the jab at "young ladies who consider themselves verging on emancipation..." !

As this author and I have agreed, Lady Molly, even more than Marguerite Blakeney, may well have been Orczy's closest porte-parole.

There are a series of terrific lines in this, but "It is hard to see past the chair" is probably the best-and the description of the neo-gothic palace is well done...and, of course, the next Sir Percy and his terrific, fabulous exchange with Molly's aide-de-camp...glad to know Mary will have a suitor of some merit..and a great denoument...

Sport, of course, had its appeal for "new women," but I vote that Marianne join the suffragettes-all that physical prowess could be dedicated to something WORTHWHILE, like hunger strikes in the women's gaols-and she could always swing her tennis racket at the prime minister...

This ROCKED,

Clio1792 chapter 2 . 3/27/2011
Loved the plot points in this one-particularly the celebration of the Boy and Girl Scouts; the fabulous exchange about fund-raising, and that certain neighbor whose social snobbery and general unpleasantness was a running joke; and, of course, the fabulous denoument of the hidden treasure.

Great, great, story.

Clio1792 chapter 1 . 3/26/2011
OK, will repeat my comment when I first read this: this is brilliant!

Wilfrid Fanshawe is a wonderfully sleazy bad guy and Miss Lily Kirk is a wonderful, sentimental damsel in distress (love Lady Molly's patience when she overdoes the waterworks...)

Lady Molly's machinations to bring him down are great, as is the historical detail, and the perspective of Lady Molly's faithful Watson, Mary...

The original Lady Molly stories, for Orczy fans who don't know them, are available on the internet on Digital Library. There's a kind of irritating tinge to them, if they are balanced against Orczy's own refusal to advocate for the "new" working women who were entering the workforce at the turn of the last century in jobs traditionally held by men...but this story beautifully captures that wonderful dual-consciousness of Orczy's that she wrote to with so little apparent self-examination: a Victorian sensibility, mixed in with a can-do creativity that kept her mind active and her pen busy-

Very much like this author's computer!

Thanks for writing this, and introducing this category!

Clio1792