Reviews for GoodBye Gonff
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 3/8/2014
This was a lovely and touching tribute to both a beloved author and his own personal character. It’s a sad scene, but beautiful in its quiet and peaceful nature. I can’t imagine Gonff going to the “sunny slopes and quiet streams” in any other manner. Even though he was so energetic and loved a good adventure, it was clear that Gonff’s heart would always rest with his family in a peaceful home with plenty of good food, friends, and niches for a restful nap (or eating a stolen pie). Even though it’s sad, it’s uplifting, even heart-warming, to think of Gonff just peacefully slipping away in comfort after a long, fruitful, joyful life, not too young but not too old either. I just couldn’t imagine Gonff turning into a weary, decrepit old mouse.

Martin was touchingly in character, and it was nice to see him as Brother Martin. I had always hoped we might get another Redwall book with these characters later on in their lives after Martin had laid down his sword. Martin’s ability to hide his grief, even his disappointment that he, the warrior, didn’t go first, but his deep ache at losing yet another close friend were all in character for him. Of all the Redwallers here, Martin has probably unarguably had the roughest life and lost the most, so his quiet pain at losing Gonff, too felt right for him.

But on the other hand, Bella is perfectly right. Gonff would not have wanted his friends mourning overmuch at his passing. Gonff brought such life and happiness into all their lives, as is clear from the books, that it’s impossible to think that he wouldn’t have wanted them to go on living and loving their lives until their times come. And I have a feeling the same can be said for Brian Jacques, too. I never had the opportunity to meet him unfortunately, but he seemed like the sort of person who was pleased with his life and would have wanted all his faithful readers to rejoice in a life well spent, rather than mourning his passing.

My only constructive criticism would be to suggest that you either proof-read back through this story yourself (or that you find a beta-reader if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself). I noticed quite a few typos and small misspellings. If these were corrected, either by yourself or a beta (I’d be willing to beta even if you wanted), the story would have a crisper feel that I think would really benefit such a sweet, lovely, little one-shot.

I think one would have to have a heart of stone to not be both touched, but also warmed, by this thoughtful homage to Brian Jacques and Gonff, who was always my favorite character. This was a pleasure to read, the sort of thing where my eyes are misting but I’m smiling at the same time. Thank you for sharing! Keep on writing. Cheers :)

-Sauron Gorthaur
I'm a visitor to fanfiction chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
I absoulutly LOVE it!:):):):):):):)
Sara Darkotter chapter 1 . 6/27/2011
I loved it. Short and sad...
Kelaiah chapter 1 . 4/8/2011
Please forgive my not reading this all the way through, simply because I can't stand the idea of Gonff dying just yet. I mean, he was BJ's favorite character, and already BJ's death is enough to handle.

But its still great to see you writing again. :)
Tuli-Susi chapter 1 . 3/29/2011
Aww... that was sweet... I hate to think of any of the Redwall characters old. I can't evem imagine Martin without his sword even though he did hang it up...

And yes, Brian Jaques will be missed...

I hate to tell you this, but you have this in the completely wrong fandom. You're currently in Aatsuri Sakon, an anime/manga. While, as you know, this fic belongs in the Redwall, Books categroy. You might want to switch it so more people can read it. I know other will enjoy this story too (while crying at the loss of our beloved Mousethief)