Reviews for A Voice in the Darkness
lsmith82 chapter 1 . 12/26/2013
This story is amazing. It made me so sad, but at the same time I'm very happy that Bella never developed Stockholm Syndrome.
LesleyLunaCullen chapter 1 . 10/4/2013
How did you write this, it hurt just to read it. I give you kudos for tackling a very difficult topic. Your stats at the end are so disturbing but powerful. The worst part is that men like him will buy a new one. You hope that this will end with her death, but deep down you know it won't.
meelee72 chapter 1 . 8/25/2013
Ugghh, this hurts me everywhere & makes my stomach sick. I hate that this happens every day.
- I can see how easily a soul is lost. & it's so so tragic. :(
- U potrayed these victims so well.
married2thcoach chapter 1 . 7/10/2013
I am speechless. In Tears, feel sick to my stomach and brokenhearted. All I can think of is the 3 girls that escaped in Ohio. It makes me feel like pure evil lives in some people. And I never want to let my teenagers out of my sight.
Figgalina chapter 1 . 7/6/2013
Wow.
MsTorres chapter 1 . 7/5/2013
I've read this story before a few years ago now and it has always stayed stuck in my brain . It's unbelievable how slavery is so widely known throughout the world and yet it is never spoken about openly as other horrors in the world. I thought of this story when I read about the women from Ohio being found safe after so long and I must admit, my heart broke for the pain and suffering they would have endured. For without this story and your remarkable writing I would not have been able to 'try' and understand how someone in that situation or position could not do something more to get away. This story is overwhelmingly sad without a doubt but also leaves a sense of closure since in the end Bella finally had a choice and made her own decision.

Bless you and be safe,
Ms Torres
x
janosch73 chapter 1 . 7/2/2013
Thanks you for this powerful statement. It's so important that this topic is talked and written about because unfortunately it's reality even these days. A while ago I read an amazing book called Room by Emma Donaghue that deals with the same topic incl. A kid that is born in captivity. It was at the same time a really awful but also a wonderful story about a mom's love to his son that I want to recommend it to everyone.
lollipopsandwich chapter 1 . 6/28/2013
Just read a fanfic a few days ago, Emancipation Proclaimation, surrounding the same topic of human trafficking, and stumbled across this fanfic today. Beautifully written. Thank you for helping to raise awareness of such a cause! It is true that slavery is such a major issue in our world today, and it is sad that many do not know the full impact of it. Thank you for such a amazing, heart-wrenching, and influential statement. :)
xXhiddenbeautyXP chapter 1 . 6/7/2013
When I was finished reading this, 2 things happened: I started feeling numb and started crying and then I got angry and decided to get more informed about this. I read this a few hours ago but I'm only now reviewing as I can think a bit more clearly now.
I'm not sure how I am suppose to critique your writing since it came off as informative in a fictional sense and it's everything you said it would be... So good job? I'm not going to try to really review the story itself, it's difficult for me to do so.
I gained a few things about this and I guess that's what matters, the message was sent. Now i know and that's hard but knowing isn't enough, i must do something. I get what you stated about people romanticizing abuse and what the reality is.
Slavery...is something i don't understand but i guess each of us have our own warped mindset about certain things and romanticize other strange or quirky things. I do like the quote at the top.
Props to tackling such an issue that's not given enough light or attention. I don't have much to say again. If you deal with other social issues, I'll read them. I want to make a difference in these things.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/1/2013
so she killed herself? goodness you wrote it beautifully
Annie Butts chapter 1 . 5/31/2013
If I could give you a standing ovation I would.
I loved your authors note.
breakingdawn57 chapter 1 . 5/30/2013
Thank you for sharing the truth that many people don't want to know about . You are so right about slavery! It is alive and well in our country as well as internationally. We have to be aware of the people around us and pay attention to situations that don't seem quite right. If you are looking for organizations to support International Justice Mission is a wonderful organization that fights human trafficking and very worthy of support.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/26/2013
to be honest writing a review on such a powerful piece of writing is challanging. too many people tend to romantize abuse and to read a story that shows the really cruelty of the world is refreshing. thank you for bringing this issuse to attention and writing about with no false sweetness. it was inspiring to read this and quite honestly it shocked me to my bones. it was a real eye opener in a world where most of us decide to turn our heads and pretend we don't see. thank you this story was perfect in its power and i think you did a wonderful job. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN!
wal70 chapter 1 . 5/19/2013
SO SAD...
ARFess96 chapter 1 . 5/13/2013
I have read this before. I don't remember how I came accross it but I remeber it being a real eye opener. I read it again this time with the thoughts of those girls that were held captive for 10 long years in Ohio.

I find myself wondering why those women didn't do something to get free. There had to have been opportunities to alert someone or for one of them make a break for it. If they shared even a little bit of the complete self destruction that your Bella did in this, I now know why they didn't try for freedom. Or maybe they never gave up trying to find freedom and it just took 10 long years to find the chink in that guys security.

Either way, this story helped me find a little bit of understanding. I know you would probably never even think to compare the two situations, as yours is a fictional story. It is said that art imitates life and this story is a prime example of that.

Thank you for your brave words and an unflinchingly real portrayal of a life not live as your own but as someone's property. I commend you for it.
570 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »