Reviews for Consolation Prize
Camilla10 chapter 5 . 2/20
I am so happy for them!
Guest chapter 21 . 10/24/2015
Am I a terrible person for having laughed with drunken Molesley?
«Too much of Mary's life had been decided my men in libraries...»
Arrested Developement reference but adapted to the situation: «And that's why you always carry a book on your person, Matthew Crawley. *tsk tsk*
I found the detail of the «man's brother's wife's cousin» rather amusing.
Good to know that I wasn't seeing things and Sciarpa is indeed the worst. But is he making his wife pass as his sister?
The impromptu fight of sword vs umbrella was unexpected, but fun and I loved Mary hitting Sciarpa in the head with the face. Joan Holloway had done it once and it's always a joy to see idiots get smacked in the head like that by wonderful ladies. It was made even better by Mary's apology for the vase.
I would also read a spin-off about Matthew and Molesley around Europe.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 23 . 10/24/2015
Just so you know: this epilogue is not okay. *said while I clear my throat*
The lovely description of the wedding? Mary and Violet's talk?
Since I can't put a picture of the nature of my emotions as I read the section between Mary and Matthew in the room, I can't fully convey what I felt while reading it. Mary was given the chance to be romantic, but she's also a pragmatist and the whole exchange was so heartwarming.
*insert words regarding the final part here because I have none since the loveliness and delight provided my it have robbed me*.
After roughly 23 reviews, you've probably gathered that I loved this story. It was vivid, the references you included really helped bringing it to life and even if the character's lives took turns different that the ones we saw on the show you still manage to keep them in line with their qualities and flaws. It took me a while to make my way to it, but I'm glad I did.
Congratulations on such a wonderful piece of fiction.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 22 . 10/24/2015
This was such a wonderful, tender chapter.
Their banter when it was time for such was well rendered and I liked the detail of Matthew finding that watching her as Gwen did her hair rather intrusive and I don't even know exactly why.
The intimacy and even sort of domesticity hit my Matthew x Mary feels right in the centre. I honestly don't know what else I can add. The «If they were to be lonely, at least they did not need to be alone» is a beautiful line.
It's quite some food for thought coming to terms with the fact of how hand-tied Mary (and real women back then) was regarding her own life.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 21 . 10/24/2015
Am I a terrible person for having laughed with drunk Molesley?
As they say in Arrested Development, yet slightly adapted to the circumstances: And that's why you carry a book on your person at all times, Matthew.
Sciarpa is indeed the worst. Robbing his wife of her title and fortune and making her pass as his sister? What's wrong with you.
I found the impromptu sword x umbrella fight fun and intense and Matthew's musings on the circumstances curious.
I loved Mary smashing the vase on his head and her apology was glorious.
Besides, if you ever feel like writing one, I'll totally read a spin off about Matthew and Molesley going around Europe. :)
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 20 . 10/20/2015
«Mary and Matthew», I cry. I've made my peace with him gone for the show but this is reminding me of why I loved them so much in the first place.
Shut up, Robert. *insert Chandler Bing 'shut up, shut up, shut up' gif»
I'm glad the story is fully written now because I wouldn't handle the waiting very well I'm afraid.
What an intense, lively chapter.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 19 . 10/20/2015
I understand Mrs. Bowen's objections regarding Mary in light of the latest news and her daugther but «You go, Mary» was my thought as I read the interaction go, particularly when Mary basically dismisses her.
I still find Sciarpa super swarmy, I'm sorry.
The cold greeting and the candle-light dinner have cemented my mental image of Crimson Peak Jessica Chastain as Donna Alessandra.
The Sciarpa castle and night falling upon it reminds me of Northanger Abbey and Catherine's stories.
Ew, get away, Sciarpa. I hope Mary punches him in the face.
Go, Mary. It isn't the same as punching him in the face, but I liked her realisation that people may want to tarnish her with the Pamuk situation but she was more than that and it wasn't her fault.
I gasped and nearly clapped at Matthew's appearance.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 18 . 10/20/2015
Mr Maitland? It is going to hit the fan, isn't it?
I can see Robert going red in the face and agitated as she shoos (sp?) people out.
A dinner drama, depicted with a frantic anxious tone that even while sort of subdued lingers on during the aftermath.
I'm getting repetitive, I know, but «Sybil». She is amazing and like her so much.
I've always found her relationship with Mary very interesting because while rather different personality-wise - to a degree at least - they are bound by the same contraints.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 17 . 10/20/2015
It's a joy to see Sybil take matters in her own hands and doing what she needs to to be happy.
And once again you present us with contradictions that feel relatable and real, like Matthew's sense of duty x the relief he feels when Sybil tells him she wants to break the engagement.
Wonderful Sybil x Branson scenes. Delightful and romantic but then they take the angsty turn that was in tone with the show, the characters, and the circumstances.
You stomped on my heart, congratulations. Poor darling Sybil.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 16 . 10/19/2015
Is it weird to say that I just want to hug Mary and offer her a piece of chocolate?
You do put us in her shoes through your wonderful rendition of her thoughts and feelings.
I've always found some similarities between her and Violet, so I was particularly touched by their fond parting.
It's probably weird and certainly anachronistic and I don't know why but I started picturing Donna Alessandra like Jessica Chastain on Crimson Peak and I'm afraid I shall do so until the last scene she's in. (Maybe the reference to how she would feel about being replaced as the mistress of the house by a stranger? I haven't seen the film yet, but I think there's something to that effect')
Hum... Sybil x Branson angst - there's a part of my feels that hadn't been rattled by it in a while.
\o/ -» Me after Tom confesses he loves her.
I thought « .kiss.» as the scene went on and you didn't disappoint.
And that last line was fantastic.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 15 . 10/19/2015
Am I trash for having «awwww»ed with the last line of the first part?
I have the feeling this may blow up and I can't wait to read it. (I can't wait to read what's next nevertheless, but I hope you catch my drift).
My Sybil x Branson feels are back in full force.
How do you make the story so organic?
Gwen has been in the shadow for some time (as a good servant should, Violet would probably say yet in a wittier manner), so it's not only wonderful to see her in the front again but also to get to know her hopes, fears, and even envy and the contractions these feelings elicit in her.
And what can I say about Mary's reaction to the news of the engagement? I hardly know, but maybe 'masterful' is a way to start.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 14 . 10/19/2015
The first part shows that side of Mary that makes so many people hate her, but I really like it. You love the character, but don't shy away from her flaws.
The second is very vivid and even if some people could think that a wedding proposal (more like seeking of authorisation in this case, right?) we know of already couldn't carry some mystery and expectation I think you manage it quite well through Sybil's thoughts.
One of my favourite things about this story is how the characters have rich interior lives.
It sounds harsh on Edith, I know, but I think you conveyed very well S1/S2 Edith in the few lines she's given.
I absolutely loved Violet's take on Mohammed and the mountain.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 13 . 10/19/2015
I'm late for the contest, but was Mary reading Middlemarch? I may be wrong though, since I only saw the TV Series and haven't read hte book yet.
About this chapter... I know I keep using thESE words but it was indeed lovely and insightful. You know the characters very well and it shows, I think, and you infuse the story with little details that enliven it, like Sybil pondering on what kind of pyjamas does Matthew wear, for example.
I also liked the part about informing one's expecirences in light of literature or turning to books for 'advice'.
And now I click 'next', glad to not have to wait any further.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 12 . 10/16/2015
A P&P reference to start? :D
I loved Matthew's thoughts in the first part. So insightful and they felt very accurate not only for the character but for the period and circumstances as well.
How Mary was that postcard? Congratulations.
Sybil coming to understand that things are different that what she had envisioned was kind of heartbreaking, but rather organic and Sybil being Sybil I trust that even if she's upset, she'll be able to turn it around and/or work with the new circumstances.
'Tortured-by-love' Matthew was kind of a staple at some time but I still felt sorry for him when Sybil mentions Mary and Sciarpa.
Whoa!? I wasn't expecting this turn of events.
The scene in the library is wonderfully written. I found it tremendously evocative. There's that dream-like feeling first which was then mixing with panic as the situation developed. And before everything went out the window (literally yet not?) it was kind of hot - as well as after the kiss on the rock.
Am I too far off in seeing a Perseus/Andromeda reference? I'm not very familiar with mythology but I think that it's worthy on its own, reference or not. And that last line of that 'part'? *claps*
It has been a fantastic story but this may be my favourite chapter so far.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 11 . 10/12/2015
I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but as Sciarpa talks I just want to throw a bucket of water at either him to stop or on myself for cleansing . He sounds so smarmy and even kind of creepy.
I always enjoy your characters thoughts on change and evolution of their lives. Rather insightful and very in character at the same time.
Uh... Mysterious letters. As if I weren't curious enough about where this is going.