Reviews for Consolation Prize
PaperbackWriter chapter 23 . 3/15/2014
Well, that was excellent. You've painted a richly detailed world that lends itself to character and plot. This is a tricky point for me to explain, especially because I've been reading for hours and it's very late, but basically: the things that Mary reads not only make her more interesting and lovable (like, honestly, she's kind of a bitch on the show, but if she were a well-read bitch, like, you could understand all the interest in her-she's fascinating). I love your take on Mary's feelings of worthlessness post-Pamuk. Quite a good explanation, and also more historically accurate, I feel, than in the show. What else? The sequence with the ghosts in the water-again, you've filled in where DA failed to show me any emotional or psychological consequences of the loss of the Crawley cousins.

This was a rollicking high-seas swashbuckling adventure and I loved it. If only there had been filthy, filthy smut. But you can't have everything. ;)
PelirrojaBiu chapter 23 . 3/9/2014
University Challenge is still my favourite story of yours, but this one was such a fantastic read! I have no idea why it took me so long to start it, but when I did, I was done in a (busy) week! The last few chapters were trully brilliant. I'm not a big S/B fan (I mean, I loved them, but it wasn't my focus while watching the series/finding new fics to read) but your Sybil was spot on and so adorable!
Anyway, I'm so glad to finally have read it! Great job!
arethosedustyjumpwings chapter 23 . 10/27/2013
I read this entire fic in one day because I simply could not stop! Right from the start, I found myself just falling in love with everything. The whole premise is such a good one, and completely believable; I often think that the scandal plot in DA should have been allowed to actually go somewhere - but that is a conversation for another day! I found the characterisation of each character spot-on, too, which just helped it seem more real. Final note on the technical stuff: your writing is just wonderful. It's descriptive where it needs to be, to the point where it needs to be, and has such an element of personality to it (does that make sense?) - as in, the places that demand a slightly sarcastic or humorous tone have it!
Now, on to the best stuff. My little shipper heart was beating frantically through most of this - and when Matthew burst through that door with the umbrella (genius!) I was grinning so much my cheeks were aching. I had to do a little dance in my chair before resuming the story. I could see it coming, but the actual action itself was so much more than I was expecting. I think the flashback to the costume ball deserves a mention too, if only for the line, "Matthew looked distinctly smug. “Perseus.”" I laughed. Segue-ing on from that, I loved all the classical references, and allusions to wider literature. I know it's not for everyone, but I actually found it really refreshing. I love it when fanfic goes into the kind of detail novels would. Being a Classics student myself, I felt so proud of myself for picking up on some of the references ;)
I won't tell you all the things I loved, because it would basically be me quoting everything back at you. So I think I'll sign off here, with another "I LOVED IT" and a thank you for writing it!
Lala Kate chapter 23 . 7/19/2013
Ok...I loved this story, and I am sorry to see it end. But what a holiday it has given me, for I feel as thought I have traversed cobblestone paths, seen the stars beside an Italian moon, sipped wine while listening to the trio of a violin, mandolin and accordion, and witness Matthew and Mary come together in a beautiful new way! Bravo, my dear. Thanks for taking a year of your life to share this story with us.
Lala Kate chapter 20 . 7/19/2013
Forgive me, I have been devouring this so quickly this evening with my kiddos out of the house that I have failed to review each chapter. Let me just say. .this is outstanding! But that argument with Robert...Matthew realizing his feelings for Mary and standing up for her like that...BRAVO! I nearly applauded out loud while alone in my house. :)
Lala Kate chapter 8 . 7/17/2013
I actually adored this chapter and loved the literary sparring! Of course when you throw in a few waltzes and some handsome Italian men on a moonlit night in Venice...what's not to like? ;) Very well written and oh so much fun to read!
Lala Kate chapter 7 . 7/16/2013
I have so adored the past two chapters! I am visiting Italy vicariously through this story, soaking in all of the sights and sounds with Violet and Mary. How I adore that you included some Americans! If they turn out to be Southerners, I might whoop and holler for joy! ;) I am so curious as to how all of this will pan out for everyone-and I love that Sybil is trying to attend a university. Great story-great writing.
Lala Kate chapter 5 . 7/15/2013
I applaud you on this chapter. You are an excellent writer of dialogue, keeping the voices of the characters so true even as you propel them into a new world. And dinner conversations involving multiple characters...AHHHHHAHHHHHHHH! I find those quite challenging to write, and you did so brilliantly. I adore Gilbert and Sullivan and could hear The Mikado ringing in my head during that scene. I am loving this story...so looking forward to Ch 6. :)
Lala Kate chapter 2 . 7/15/2013
Ha! Poor Edith-wishing someone would take her to Italy! I completely understand, Edith, I'd love to go myself! I'm also thoroughly enjoying the beginnings of what I am sure will prove to be a most exciting journey into this AU world you have created. Stamp my passport-I'm ready to travel. :)
Jenwren chapter 23 . 6/12/2013
I have only just found this story, but it is terrific. Love it, would love to see a continuation of the story. Your writing style is very clever. Wonderful.
AmeriGirlTN chapter 1 . 6/2/2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this M/M fanfic as I have all your stories. You had me worried when Matthew proposed to Sybil but everything worked out in the end. And I'm all about a happy ending for M/M. Hugs!
Ampexa chapter 1 . 4/8/2013
I finished reading this story yesterday! I loved it. The plot is different to a lot of the stories that exist on Mary and Matthew. Keep on with the good work!
LyssLovesShules33 chapter 5 . 3/20/2013
Just randomly started reading this story because I've been literally reading all stories that have anything to do with my favorite character, Mary, but decided to review this chapter solely based on the fact that I find it hilarious that you used my last name as the Italian teacher (though mine is spelt with only one s)!
KareninaCrawley chapter 8 . 1/2/2013
This is getting v boring
Smokers outside chapter 15 . 11/5/2012
I'll admit that I - when reading the summary - expected Mary to 'sleep her way through Europe', though I now see that would be trashy and very modern ;)