Reviews for Consolation Prize
AriadneO chapter 6 . 5/26/2011
Marvelous chapter! So many great lines and moments. I loved it from the beginning with the line about parting as Englishmen to the end with Mary's statement about determination. Sybil was adorable and Violet was quite amusing as always. And that scene where Mary looks over the side of the boat was hauntingly beautiful (no pun intended). I'm glad Mary is starting her journey towards growth and can't wait to see how this further develops!
Lavinia Swire chapter 6 . 5/26/2011
I think this is my favourite chapter so far (although it's so hard to choose...) Sybil, Gwen and Daisy were all lovely, and every single characterization was perfect, as normal. (The idea of Antonio Strallone made me laugh a lot too!) Also, yay, Venice!
bookwormgrl chapter 6 . 5/24/2011
I have been completely remiss in updating my reviews of this story. Things have been so hectic that I've read my DA fanfic on the run...meaning to get back to reviews at a later time. And now I have the chance - I am loving the set up you have done for this story. I am SO curious about how this will evolve - and how Mary and Matthew will cross paths. (Thank you, though, for that little alternative ending to the last chapter!) Look forward to future chapters -and hope you are de-stressing more on your holiday!
rubberduckiesrock chapter 6 . 5/24/2011
Oh, soooo worth the wait :)

Your description of the faces in the water sent a chill down my spine, I loved it!

Once again your characterization is impeccable. I particularly liked "let your husband take you - once you've got one" I can just picture Maggie Smith saying that :)

I hope you enjoy your holiday, on my way to check out the DVD extras :)

xx
MandaPanda2 chapter 6 . 5/23/2011
I loved this chapter! Your Mary is so, so true to character - infuriating but vulnerable. Her conversation with Gwen was sweet too. Shame on me for not reviewing this wonderful story earlier! I'm very excited for Venice!
silverducks chapter 6 . 5/23/2011
*Raises hand and cheekily asks if Matthew can find a reason to go too?*

Anyway, loved this chapter, it was all wonderful, but my favourite bit was Mary looking over the boat. I loved how you had her thinking of Patrick and James and then Pamuk, showing just how messed up about it all she really is. Sadly she keeps it all so locked away.

Sybil and Gwen were very sweet, as was Daisy!

Can't wait to read more - though I hope Mary meets someone more exciting than an Italian version of Sir Anthony!
EOlivet chapter 6 . 5/23/2011
Sigh...I don't feel guilty about not reading books because your chapters are written like a complex novel - complete with symbolism, themes foreshadowing, and amazing character insights. :D The idea that Mary writes letters of no substance, with no heart or personality, makes complete sense. :D Loved the brief glimpse we got downstairs (and the momentary Sybil/Gwen! :p ) I did take note that Mary has never been on a boat that doesn't end up where it started. ;) And of course, your Violet was impeccable - her scenes with Mary were a real treat, and something not seen often in fic. :D They're so alike, even though they don't seem like it, and you captured that well. :) Mary's scene by herself was of course, haunting (literally!), but her sense of isolation (and depression!) was palpable. But almost moreso in her line to Gwen about never caring enough about something to try that hard. Wow. I'm so excited to see where they go next - figuratively and literally! :) Please update soon! :D
OrangeShipper chapter 6 . 5/23/2011
*raises hand with a slightly mad wave* Me! I'd like to go to Venice!

Ahem... Back on point, well I love all things sea and ship related, so this was just fab for me! I get ridiculously excited at anything loosely related to a ship, so you were onto a winner straight away really! Mary staring into the waves and wondering morbidly was brilliant, and utterly understandable (it did really make me feel for her - the poor girl is messed up!).

I like how you're developing Gwen, and her relationship with Mary too.

Worthy mention goes to the idea of Violet at the Moulin Rouge and Antonio Strallone - I LOVED that!

Can't wait for the next chapter (though obviously not before other very very important editing work!) ;)
bijou156 chapter 6 . 5/22/2011
Beautiful! I loved it all! I particularly liked that you had Gwen interact with Sybil and Mary! I also like Mary's reflection when she is out in the deck looking down on the sea. Please do, Venice! I look forward to it! :D
juliaw chapter 5 . 5/22/2011
Loved the story and will continue to read it.

Looking forward to reading the next part of the story and the plots you will come up with.

I do like the Sybil/Matthew pairing and I have a feeling that this may occur in your story.

Thank You for sharing your story.
TheSingingGirl chapter 5 . 5/13/2011
Hello!

Don't think that I've been reading and not reviewing, because the truth is that I read your first five chapters all this evening. I generally don't read WIPs because I'm an impatient sort of girl, but my impatience for some decent Mary/Matthew fic overrode my impatience with waiting for chapters. Anyway, I shall be reading onwards, so don't worry about losing me!

WRT the cultural references, by all means keep them in. The natural explanation that the characters provide for each other provides enough of an implication that googling isn't really necessary, though I am going to google the Decameron tomorrow morning when I have a little more time. It just adds another layer to the story for those who are interested; there's no reason to leave that out.

I'm very much enjoying the plotline here, and Mary and Matthew have me near screaming at frustration as always. I'd rather like to shove them in a room together and leave them there, but short of having them abducted by a militant left-winger, I can't really see a way of doing that!

The inclusion of Sybil as such a major character is brilliant, and you keep a good balance with the ensemble cast, too. We're seeing less of 'downstairs', but that's sort of inevitable with such a focus on Mary, who has little contact with them, and Matthew, who doesn't even live in the building. Adding them in through Sybil is brilliant, though I would love it if you could entwine them in further, somehow. Not that I have any bright ideas as to how you might achieve that, so don't take it too heavily!

Characterisation is spot on as always, particularly Mary's rants about her position in the world. Contrasted with her views on women attending university, she presents a very contemporary image: she wants her own place, but doesn't see our modern ideas as the way to obtain it. Sybil is a darling, as Mary keeps calling her. And Cora is, as ever, the touchstone of the family; she feels far more grounded than any of the rest of them.

Right, it's now eleven pm and I really must go to bed. Still, I shall add you to an author alert, and look forward to more!

TSG
AriadneO chapter 5 . 5/10/2011
It may take me a while to get here, but I'm definitely reading your story. I wouldn't miss this fun for anything and you always deliver wonderful chapters. I enjoyed the insight into Matthew's thoughts in this chapter, your use of music to set the mood, and your various literary references (though sadly I don't always recognize them). The ending of the chapter was beautiful and so fitting and I can't see what happens in the next portion of this story!
Praetorian Productions chapter 5 . 5/10/2011
Bring on Chapter 6; I'm looking forward to more of Mary's fantastic decision-making and awkward dinner party comments. I'm glad Mary doesn't believe Matthew to be "devoid of all proper feeling" as that can get a woman into trouble;).
bijou156 chapter 5 . 5/5/2011
Rose all those chapters are coming along really amazingly and delightfully. I love how you write about Matthew/Mary relationship keeping in with their personalities and dynamics. I really love how you show us Sybil through Mary’s and Matthew’s eyes. I also liked that you had music links in the “Food of Love”, it’s a really nice touch. I look forward to the next chapters. Keep on writing. _
Novindalf chapter 5 . 5/5/2011
I can't believe this is only chapter 5! So much has happened, and it's all been so brilliant, I keep thinking I've been reading this fic for *years*! (Not a comment on your update speed by the way! P)

Really looking forward to where you're taking this next )
349 | « Prev Page 1 .. 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 .. Last Next »