Reviews for Consolation Prize
Ella Beau chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
that was absolutely beautifully written, the characters so very well drawn, I could picture everything perfectly... very credible and interesting story, I really enjoyed the chapter, please keep updating.
OrangeShipper chapter 7 . 6/6/2011
There are too many things I love about this chapter! It's all so beautifully described - I love all the little details you give, it makes it so very real. Beautiful imagery.

I love Mary on the train - and particularly creepy Italian man!

I find the idea of young, academic Matthew really quite appealing (and I'm very much looking forward to him being back next chapter! Missed him!).

I love that Hettie's blue eyes reminded Mary of Matthew..

And the whole conversation on the painting was just fabulous (including Mary's observation about whether it's 'nice' with all the dismembered limbs haha!)

In short, loved it. Can't wait for more. :)
EOlivet chapter 7 . 6/6/2011
Sigh, once again your writing has taken me on a marvelous journey. :D I loved how you described the trip - I could practically see the countryside unfolding through the train windows, and Venice itself sounds amazing. :) Made sense that Mary would prefer the less conventional places (as Venice sounds like a "romantic" city and...that's not really Mary's style. ;) Hetty was a delight - especially as a prospective foil for Mary. It always comes back to princesses and monsters, huh? :) Loved that. :D Also, Mary's great line about talking to Italian men being the purpose of the trip - amazing! :) As for bright and sunny Sybil, her convo with Isobel was wonderful, and intriguing! And predictably, my heart melts at the idea of Matthew reading books as a way to stay close to Mary (first, the atlas, now the Decameron). :D Sigh. Cannot wait for more of this incredible journey - please update soon! :D
silverducks chapter 7 . 6/6/2011
YAY - So pleased to see a new chapter. Loved all the stuff in Venice, was like a little mini tourist trip!

I liked how Sybil decided she needed a new project and I think Mary's new friends (and a possible non too picky Italian) could be very interesting.

As for your next chapter, I'd read it anyway, but you mentioned Matthew so now I'm even more hooked!

Wonderful story and brilliantly written as ever!
sophia666 chapter 6 . 6/2/2011
Great story. I love how your writing flows, and the characterization and dialogue between the characters such as Mary, Matthew, Sybil, Gwen and the others. I wonder if we'll see any Sybil/Branson? (they really are adorable). I love how well you show the complex feelings and relationship of Mary and Matthew. great writing. I also love the allusions to other things, and now I want to go to Italy even more badly!
AriadneO chapter 6 . 5/26/2011
Marvelous chapter! So many great lines and moments. I loved it from the beginning with the line about parting as Englishmen to the end with Mary's statement about determination. Sybil was adorable and Violet was quite amusing as always. And that scene where Mary looks over the side of the boat was hauntingly beautiful (no pun intended). I'm glad Mary is starting her journey towards growth and can't wait to see how this further develops!
Lavinia Swire chapter 6 . 5/26/2011
I think this is my favourite chapter so far (although it's so hard to choose...) Sybil, Gwen and Daisy were all lovely, and every single characterization was perfect, as normal. (The idea of Antonio Strallone made me laugh a lot too!) Also, yay, Venice!
bookwormgrl chapter 6 . 5/24/2011
I have been completely remiss in updating my reviews of this story. Things have been so hectic that I've read my DA fanfic on the run...meaning to get back to reviews at a later time. And now I have the chance - I am loving the set up you have done for this story. I am SO curious about how this will evolve - and how Mary and Matthew will cross paths. (Thank you, though, for that little alternative ending to the last chapter!) Look forward to future chapters -and hope you are de-stressing more on your holiday!
rubberduckiesrock chapter 6 . 5/24/2011
Oh, soooo worth the wait :)

Your description of the faces in the water sent a chill down my spine, I loved it!

Once again your characterization is impeccable. I particularly liked "let your husband take you - once you've got one" I can just picture Maggie Smith saying that :)

I hope you enjoy your holiday, on my way to check out the DVD extras :)

xx
MandaPanda2 chapter 6 . 5/23/2011
I loved this chapter! Your Mary is so, so true to character - infuriating but vulnerable. Her conversation with Gwen was sweet too. Shame on me for not reviewing this wonderful story earlier! I'm very excited for Venice!
silverducks chapter 6 . 5/23/2011
*Raises hand and cheekily asks if Matthew can find a reason to go too?*

Anyway, loved this chapter, it was all wonderful, but my favourite bit was Mary looking over the boat. I loved how you had her thinking of Patrick and James and then Pamuk, showing just how messed up about it all she really is. Sadly she keeps it all so locked away.

Sybil and Gwen were very sweet, as was Daisy!

Can't wait to read more - though I hope Mary meets someone more exciting than an Italian version of Sir Anthony!
EOlivet chapter 6 . 5/23/2011
Sigh...I don't feel guilty about not reading books because your chapters are written like a complex novel - complete with symbolism, themes foreshadowing, and amazing character insights. :D The idea that Mary writes letters of no substance, with no heart or personality, makes complete sense. :D Loved the brief glimpse we got downstairs (and the momentary Sybil/Gwen! :p ) I did take note that Mary has never been on a boat that doesn't end up where it started. ;) And of course, your Violet was impeccable - her scenes with Mary were a real treat, and something not seen often in fic. :D They're so alike, even though they don't seem like it, and you captured that well. :) Mary's scene by herself was of course, haunting (literally!), but her sense of isolation (and depression!) was palpable. But almost moreso in her line to Gwen about never caring enough about something to try that hard. Wow. I'm so excited to see where they go next - figuratively and literally! :) Please update soon! :D
OrangeShipper chapter 6 . 5/23/2011
*raises hand with a slightly mad wave* Me! I'd like to go to Venice!

Ahem... Back on point, well I love all things sea and ship related, so this was just fab for me! I get ridiculously excited at anything loosely related to a ship, so you were onto a winner straight away really! Mary staring into the waves and wondering morbidly was brilliant, and utterly understandable (it did really make me feel for her - the poor girl is messed up!).

I like how you're developing Gwen, and her relationship with Mary too.

Worthy mention goes to the idea of Violet at the Moulin Rouge and Antonio Strallone - I LOVED that!

Can't wait for the next chapter (though obviously not before other very very important editing work!) ;)
bijou156 chapter 6 . 5/22/2011
Beautiful! I loved it all! I particularly liked that you had Gwen interact with Sybil and Mary! I also like Mary's reflection when she is out in the deck looking down on the sea. Please do, Venice! I look forward to it! :D
juliaw chapter 5 . 5/22/2011
Loved the story and will continue to read it.

Looking forward to reading the next part of the story and the plots you will come up with.

I do like the Sybil/Matthew pairing and I have a feeling that this may occur in your story.

Thank You for sharing your story.
354 | « Prev Page 1 .. 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 .. Last Next »