Reviews for Surviving
SpeedDemon315 chapter 1 . 5/10/2011
Gah! I can't believe how long I waited to review this! Especially how excited I got when I saw the summary and read the entire oneshot without stopping. Valter is one of my favorite characters and you portrayed exactly how I always thought him as-in many ways, misunderstood. And in one of my fanfics revolving around him, I too made him have a deep connection with his mother while eternal hatred for his father, who was a complete and utter bastard. But enough on that, back to the review!

Anyway, like I implied before, I enjoyed this bit very much and liked how you captured Valter's emotions, both bitter and sweet. As always, keep up the good work-I'll get to more reviewing...eventually. D:

SpeedDemon315
quintilis chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
Hmmm. This is quite interesting. When I always thought of Valter - his motivations, his goals, his background - I always imagined something more, I don't know, psychopathic. About killing and related things. Perhaps a lingering vendetta against Duessel and Glen for being so golden while he was off murdering civilians (the part in the game where that was revealed had me gasping out loud). However, the mantra you gave him does fit in with how power-crazy-delusional he is.

Overall, I really liked this. Valter never had enough explanation as for his character, so interpretations are endless; yours and mine happen to touch briefly. Mostly, I'm just glad you're writing FE8. It has such a spectrum of deep characters. Good work!

- Portsmouth
Trevor X chapter 1 . 4/1/2011
Um, okay. I guess background is fine for any character... though Valter? I'd always seen him as being something of a psychopath in the best of times. Good job on taking a stab at the possibilities though. Hmm. And that's a lot of words on me for a work about this character.
Nocturnal Eclipse chapter 1 . 4/1/2011
You know, Improvisation, I was just thinking not 30 minutes ago that I haven't seen much from you in a few weeks. Then I look at the front page and see your Valter story! Nice piece! Definitely a bit depressing and I figured there was more to Valter's madness than just touching that lance of Duessel's. Really liked this!
Raphiael chapter 1 . 4/1/2011
:D

No wait, this is a sad story, smiley face is inappropriate.

. . . :D anyway.

This is really effectively sad, just enough detail to tell you what you need to know without going in too much. And it does an excellent job of making Valter make sense without seeming to excuse him. I really, really like this. You did awesomely :3

(And no, doesn't contradict anything that I know of. No worries)
Doctor Robert chapter 1 . 4/1/2011
I knew there was a method to his madness.

Sorry, couldn't resist saying that... but this does seem to explain all to much, doesn't it?