Reviews for I Will Follow You Into the Dark
Thumana chapter 1 . 2/1/2012
I remember, some time ago, promising to go back and review old stuff. And I reread this old favourite today and had to write something.

I've always wondered how Titania could possibly stop Soren from following Ike when he goes to fight the Black Knight. Certainly not with her statements that it's something Ike needs to do alone, or some such. That's just "idiocy" as far as Soren is concerned, and I agree with him. She would definitely have had to restrain him physically, and disarm him so he didn't zap her with magic to make his escape...And then to let Mist follow Ike in after stopping Soren...Titania's a romantic, idealistic idiot.

No, I like this version much better (especially as I don't like to train up or use Mist when I play, plus, you know Ike/Soren A support would really help). Soren's really good at dodging, and he would have to have had the skill from an early age, because when you're a homeless child on your own there's really only begging, theft, or prostitution to keep you alive. And begging didn't work too well for Soren because too many people realised what he was and did their best to drive him away.

I know Mist worries about Ike and doesn't want to be separated from him, but that seems like nothing when compared to Soren's devotion. "Ike...if you're going to go on a crazed suicide mission, the least you can do is bring me along" pretty much expresses it perfectly. Ike tries twice to get Soren to leave, but there's no chance of that: Soren is fully determined to die if Ike does, and to follow him into the next world, whatever it takes. And he would cheerfully sacrifice his life to save Ike's, if possible.

"The Black Knight groaned, sounding like a phantom trapped within the armor." I see you are familiar with the Japanese version of RD, in which the Black Knight attributes his defeat here to a warp powder malfunction. I should have expected no less.

So, aided by Soren healing him and fighting off the reinforcements, Ike defeats the Black Knight. He's sorely wounded, so when the traps are activated, he again tries to get Soren to leave without him. You'd think he'd know by now, wouldn't you? Really this is just so very like them: this is how they always are with each other. Especially Soren's determination to make sure Ike is fully healed, obsessively checking to make sure he hasn't missed anything. I love the tender moments toward the end: Soren declaring he would follow Ike anywhere "even if it was to the very depths of hell," Ike saying that he wouldn't try to go it alone again and that he owed Soren his life, and of course that embrace between them. (I'm such a sucker for that stuff.) Damn Ranulf. I suppose it was necessary to have him interrupt them before things got too romantic. Soren will just have to wait a few more years before it can really be just him and Ike against the world.
GSFEfan25 chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
Loved it, bravo! They should've let Soren join that battle, Mist is never worth having against the reinforcements, no matter what level she is... Great job with this. :)
The Only Princess chapter 1 . 4/1/2011
Do I really need to say anything? There were a few places where the wording got repetitive, but other than that it was fabulous.