Reviews for Eldritch
E chapter 20 . 6/19
I really liked your story; I read this in one sitting.

Specifically, I enjoyed your depictions of Albus and Tom. Both are troubled characters, but they grew and developed together as the story proceeded. I thought Tom's backstory, with the bullying and child abuse, was realistic, considering the beliefs at the time. I could see how Tom's attachment disorder led him to becoming the Dark Lord. That his mischievousness and allegories is a testament that everyone has a better nature, so long as they are nurtured. I enjoyed the mirroring of Albus with CastleAlbus. CastleAlbus is pompous, single-minded, and driven. To me, his behavior seems to be a reaction to his doomed relationship with Gellert.

Rax was adorable, partly because his French background made him very different to what I would imagine a Malfoy. Rax's indulged but he's not malicious and power-hungry like Draco. I wonder what alternative House the Sorting Hat was planning to put Rax.

I didn't really enjoy Tom as a prophecy child. His power seemed incentive enough for Gellert to notice him. Moreover, there's the association with CastleAlbus, and I'd imagine that Gellert has spies following CastleAlbus's every moves.
Gg chapter 20 . 4/8
This story is really wonderful, I always enjoy your characterization of Tom the best. It's great as it is, it would be lovely of you to finish it. Godspeed
Love this fic so much- Don't stress about the update speeds though. Take as long as you need. This fis is worth the wait and frankly, even if you never do write more of it, it's an absolute gift to have any of this fic to read at all! *adores it*
bleubirdsong chapter 20 . 4/2
This story is truly wonderful. I'm amazed it doesn't have more reviews or favorites! It's original, creative, in character, and marvelously charming. I hope you can find your flow again!
Tidmag chapter 20 . 3/22
Wow...stayed up all night to read this because it was amazing.
Snarky64 chapter 20 . 3/16
I've just picked this up and read right through. It's a really interesting work, especially wondering how things are changing through Older Dumbledore's intervention in the earlier timeline. It's sad to read that you're feeling de-motivated. I hope your muse finds you again. I'll certainly review if you continue.
Veronica chapter 20 . 1/24
Hi. I don't even know where to start this review. I found this story in Archive Of Our Own after reading "1942: A Raphsody in Riddle" and I fell in love with it the moment I finished the first chapter, perhaps before. I fell in love with it when Slughorn explained what I have always seen clearly about the Slytherin House. You can imagine my anguish when I saw there were only 5 chapters. I was about to curse myself when I checked the reviews and I saw you directed another reader to this platform. How thankfull I am for that!

Yesterday I went to bed at 5am because I couldn't put your story down and today I got back to reading as soon as I woke. I just finished chapter 20 and I may say I'm a little disilusionated as the tittle made me think (and I don't really know why) that this was the final chapter and the story was complete. However, I will wait most patiently for an update in whatever direction you wish to carry this masterpiece. I beg you don't stop writting all together.

I don't think there's nothing I don't love about it. Tom's character complexity, Dumbledore realising what an utter ass he was (I hated him quite a lot in the books), an insight on Abe's life... I would love nothing more for you to give them a happy ending with Tom growing up to not become Voldemort and leading a happy life. Perhaps even starting a family of his own. I don't know, I'm rambling at this point, I did sleep only 5 hours.

To sum up: I just wish to say thank you for sharing this story publicaly (and in ao3 even if you didn't like the platform for I wouldn't have found it here in ffnet) and carriying with it. And that I will be waiting patiently but excitedly for your next update. Thank you very much.
EddieIrvine chapter 20 . 1/6
Oh... please do carry on with the story. Doesn't Albus have to go back eventually, or we would see some fitting end of the war, or the relationship that is so finely developing between Albus and Tom? Sorry for taking wild guesses ... I understand that writing stories take a lot of passion, time, and effort, especially one so well-crafted. But please, do not leave the readers dangling here. This story is one I count on going back to between months of crazy graduate school work...
smilingcrescent chapter 17 . 12/15/2014
I sometimes wonder which of your stories/series I like best… the Prometheus series and Eldritch are both two of my favourites… but I think Eldritch might win out just because Tom is still so young. The unfulfilled possibility even the Dark Lord has as a child is just so interesting.

Not to mention, your young Tom is so cute. XD Also, he is made all the more fascinating just by never writing from Tom’s perspective. Dumbledore reflects and worries even as he dotes over and loves the boy. Not writing from his perspective makes him that much more mysterious, and as compelling, terrifying or puzzling as the characters’ perspectives you write from view him. Really good literary choice there, I think.

Now, on to this chapter. I enjoyed learning about the different parts of London, and the street names, though unfamiliar, really helped make the scene. Eee, Tom trying not to look awestruck must be sweet.

Hmm, Tom’s attempts to bargain for their lives, and then to slip out of view during the duel… he is a precocious little boy. I agree—Tom is probably wishing that he was better than Albus rather than admiring his ‘grace.’ Such a flaw is both believable, and in character. And yet, I still find him charming.

Hahah, Dumbledore thinks himself a prodigy, and Tom a hard worker. I wonder if that’s true? I rather thought they were both naturally gifted. XD Hahaha, and Tom Perceives that he was ‘toying with the leader.’ Somehow I doubt Tom is going to stray very far from his original path even with Dumbledore as a role model—Tom picks up on all the characteristics he already identifies with, not things he doesn’t (like mercy, or depending on others).
SilentReader chapter 20 . 12/7/2014
This is so fucking epic. I don't know what to say. You sir/madam are amazing! The characterizations, the history, the interactions are so, so... them and it's heartbreaking, especially in chapter 20. You got them so believable that I wish this was a side story or an AU that you and JKR published together.
Chatwyn chapter 20 . 11/23/2014
Your writing's lovely. I'm actually content to leave the story here: it seems as though the big, main villain has been kind of defeated, though he will no doubt rear his ugly head again in the future. The characters still have issues but everyone looks like they're moving past that slowly, with the exception of Abe who took a big hit. Tom may or may not still become Voldemort, but hey, he cares which we can say he didn't really - before - and they gave it their best shot.

If you write more, of course I'll take a look! But if you don't, thanks for the ride ;)
Chatwyn chapter 11 . 11/23/2014
Well, that asshole died. Good.
Chatwyn chapter 10 . 11/23/2014
I love the culture, I love the references to plays and history and outside stories, I love the little life lessons you put in here. At the same time, all the references to Tom's life before Albus - those things are hard to read about. As in, I feel heartsick every time Father Sebastian comes up. I know shit happens, and it's horrible if you set if off to one side and ignore it, but the story never lets us forget it either. I swear, your story is like Pandora's Box, reading about Tom's collection and why he did it and how he trusted Dumbledore with the knowledge later, all this angst with just the little bit of hope shining at the end.
Chatwyn chapter 5 . 11/23/2014
Oh my god, I wrote that last review too quickly. I should've finished the chapter before writing anything. I feel horrible for everyone in that last chapter: Ollivander who lost his father to snakes, Aberforth in prison, Tom who just lost a dear friend - I'm worried about what that's going to do to his mental state... sounds like he's keeping his head though, for now. Sad about Castle Albus. They had been talking about killing and replacing him before though, so I can't tell if I feel like this is vaguely justice, or if I wished they'd talked to him (and possibly killed him) earlier. What a mess.
Chatwyn chapter 4 . 11/23/2014
I knew I was going to leave messages and praise at your door eventually. I thought of doing it after you wrote about Albus' favouritism, about Slughorn's perception of the situation - because most stories go one way or the other, he's doing it and evil, or he's not actually being manipulative and he's a hero - but you went both ways: he's flawed and doing a bad thing but Slughorn didn't write him off or try to kill him for it. And that's hard to do.

And then I thought about leaving another message when you wrote about Tom falling from the railing and levitating himself back up, that single moment of accord, because that was beautiful. But I couldn't miss a moment of the action - Albus finding Tom the way he did, all the little hints, Tom sings beautifully but he only learnt to do it because he had to, Tom's strong opinion on Robinson Crusoe. I cried over the milk. They go shopping and it fails, and they end up going out for ice cream. I really liked that. It was nice. Sucks about Amy. It makes so much sense that he's Catholic, and you've incorporated that really well.

In the end... this might sound funny, but it was Billy that did it. You wrote about Abe bringing the goat over and Albus having nightmares and I put my head down in my arms and just said 'oh god. okay'. I was smiling though, geez, how did you do that?