Reviews for The Lady's War and the Gentleman's Engagement
ZabuzasGirl chapter 122 . 12/22/2015
Update immediately, please!
Merry Christmas!
omgitsalexmarie chapter 122 . 12/22/2015
YES finally we are getting somewhere. Oh Elfwine, help your Aunt Guthwyn out for us won't you? Can't wait for tomorrow's update! :)
Elfwine chapter 122 . 12/22/2015
crawls into a corner and dies, sssslllloooowwwwllllyyyy...
CheekyOnlooker chapter 121 . 12/22/2015
I love this story. I grew up with this story. But now I read it in hopes of tides of change. A heart wrenching, adventurous, drama- in my opinion- has become dry and slow as molasses. The writing itself is quality as ever but guthwyn is my new enemy. She is now in her mid thirties and its like I'm watching her waste away. With the new plot twist of the war I was hoping to see her thrust into action. Guthwyn is stagnant. The romance between legolas and guthwyn isnt enough to be a story and not enough development. Plot twist? New villian?
Diannenyrs chapter 121 . 12/22/2015
Oh my... I'm really sad for Gúthwyn... No one understands her not even those kids! That is the Teenage rebel stage I think...hey will there be a happy ending for Gúthwyn? She just have to tell someone how she really feels!
Zip001 chapter 121 . 12/22/2015
As I was reading this, I was thinking of the double-edged sword that is reputation for women (whether good or bad), it is often difficult to change (evidence 1: see Elphir's look of disgust towards to Guthwyn) and stifling in the society she lives in (where women's honor must be guarded and remain pure while men can cavort and sow their wild oats). While her fears may have overwhelmed her, I think she did the right thing especially in the society she and Haiweth live in. Talathdil shouldn't be meeting her in the hall in front of her bedroom. As Faramir noted correctly, if he wants to court Haiweth, he should ask permission and only meet with her when escorted. The fact he does not and the way he acted towards Guthwyn makes me wonder of his intentions towards Haiweth - is she merely a fling and never someone he could think of marrying (since her guardian is so "unwholesome")?

The scene with Eomer erupting and taking on her side made me clap and cheer (standing up and applauding heartily). While Haiweth needs to hear this, Guthwyn also needs this - she needs to understand her worth (she is worthy of love) and remember her sacrifice. The only thing that makes me sad is Elfwine realizing how poorly people treat his beloved Guthwyn. Like Eomer, I can not imagine him taking this well.

I was thinking of her lack of sword fighting and her lack of spirit living with Eowyn and Faramir. I would imagine that living in a society she does not understand - not being able to befriend many because of either social stigma (why the nobles wouldn't engage with her) or class distinction (why the common folks won't either) - further alienates herself and makes her withdrawn. She finds she cannot speak to Eowyn because they truly don't understand each other. She finds herself attacked - not only from people's wrong impressions of her but by the ones she love (Eowyn and Cobryn) about how she raises her children. Her love not being returned by her children further wears her down - I keep thinking that without the children (perhaps they should have been adopted by another family after the war with her and Cobryn regularly visiting), perhaps her life would turn out differently (for the better). I think she should return home with Eomer and Elfwine, leaving her ungrateful children behind.
Ysmira chapter 121 . 12/21/2015
This is the Guthwyns trait I hate the most - not that she has other hatefull traits, there are only some tiresome, but neccessary for an interesting character. She is so restricted towards her children that its almost unbearable. She will take away from them most of the chances for happiness and they will hate her certainly. In the same moment I totally agree with Eomer - they should be forever gratefull and respectful to her, she had sacrifed so much for them. They should at least talk with her and explain why they cant always listen to her but thus ensure, they will always love and respect her. But its not the case and this situation is getting more and more awful. :(
Pineapple3000 chapter 121 . 12/21/2015
Kiiimberly chapter 121 . 12/21/2015
Thanks for updating anolinde. I'm excited about the extra updates! :) I think Haiweth really needed to hear that. It's pretty ridiculous how little she and her brother respect Guthwyn. At the same time, I think Guthwyn's motivations may be more than just protecting her reputation. I'm curious why Elphir is still disgusted with Guthwyn though...
ZabuzasGirl chapter 121 . 12/21/2015
Update immediately, please!
Pineapple3000 chapter 120 . 12/20/2015
ARGH SHE IS SO STUBBORN! Great chapter, as always ;)
Ysmira chapter 120 . 12/20/2015
Guthwyn speak with somebody! Or maybe Aragorn will help! He knows! There is still hope! There is, right? There is always hope...
Zip001 chapter 120 . 12/20/2015
So relieved that Eomer survived (was so worried that the little wooden horse wasn't so lucky) and so happy that her favorite Elfwine is coming (albeit with his green-eyed mother).

The bow moment was both sweet (I do love the effortless moments between Elfwine and Guthwine including the good natured ribbing of her diminutive statute) and heart wrenching (as it brings back memories of Legolas and her feelings of what can never be). I liked that friendly Elfwine (not only elf friend but friend to almost all) was so inclusive, asking his grandfather to look at his precious bow, but did not realize their closeness.

The decision to announce Cobryn's and Guthwyn's impending betrothal gives me mixed feelings. On one hand, I think that she needs to make the decision and have the decision set in stone - while Cobryn is not Legolas, he is her closest friend who understands her (more so sometimes than herself) and also loves her (although not yet or ever in a romantic manner). While there may be regrets on her end, she can look forward to a future in Rohan, her home in her heart, with the people she loves (including her beloved brother and nephew) and with a hopefully growing family (I see their offsprings as being fighting scholars). On the other hand, I feel bad that she and Legolas cannot be once such annoucement is made as the romantic in me wants them to be together, have cute babies and co-rule the elves who (somehow magically) she adores and who, in turn, adore her (actually the realist in me cannot see that - sob!).
A chapter 120 . 12/20/2015
Hi anolinde,

Thanks for updating, so often and with such great writing. I always put aside what I'm doing, if I can, and take the time to savour every line.

I so desperately want Guthwyn to have her happy ending - I have grown to love her as a sister - and yet if she does not get it, I know your plan will serve the story best.

Please continue with this story! And thanks again for the many hours of enjoyment you have given me and others :)

Kiiimberly chapter 120 . 12/19/2015
Thanks for updating anolinde. I'm really curious what is going on in Lothiriels mind. As for Guthwyns marriage plans, I hope they are interrupted somehow!
769 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »