Reviews for Can't Take It Back
Ariane Rivendell chapter 1 . 1/7/2012
Sheer. Heartbreaking. Must be a captain's worst nightmare. Not just in simply losing any of your crew, but having it happen on your order based on the wrong information. Horrific situation, but an amazing piece that really drives home the reality of what firefighters face at every fire.

Poor Marco & Cap... His men may not blame him and while he knows, technically & logistically, it wasn't his fault, a part of him may never forgive himself. And that's about the most heartbreaking thing of all. You captured him well. Very nicely done.
starlight guardian chapter 1 . 8/31/2011
Wow, all the negative emotions right away. Anger for the people who constructed this place, who inspected, who took kickbacks, who lied! Can they at least be charged with felony murder.

Deep sorrow, and guilt, there was no reason for Marco to die if the dept hadn't been deceived. You're good, you've made me laugh and cry this morning. Now I'm going to go read something uplifting.
jada951 chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
ow. this is really a sad/tragedy one, isn't it.

We don't like to think of anything doing permanent damage to "our guys".

well written, even though it's sad.
Jelsemium chapter 1 . 7/4/2011
This story is so sad. I feel sorry for Cap as well as Marco. I can just see Roy physically blocking Johnny from running into the flames to get to their friend.

Good work!
OBXTrekkie chapter 1 . 5/27/2011
Heartbreaking, and excellent. I could just see the Captain sitting there in a chair, staring at the floor,thinking all that.
Dianne chapter 1 . 4/6/2011
That was very original. This challenge is certainly stirring the creative juices in some of the finer writers such as yourself. I really liked that this was from Cap's POV. Poor Marco. This story reminds us that even though we regret something, it's not necessarily someone's fault, it just is what it is. Cap will always have regrets but at least with time and the way he is able to reason it all out, he might not carry guilt forever because of what happened. I could see any of the guys from fifty-one wanting to run back in to save one of their own so that was very realistic. Poor Chet, beside Marco one minute and in the blink of any eye, he's gone. You did well with the technical aspects too that I find so hard to write, when you had Mike turn the hose down so Chet could handle it alone. Very well written and I enjoyed it very much.
jerseybelle chapter 1 . 4/6/2011
Ohhh. Such a good story.
Neemps chapter 1 . 4/5/2011
Wow, really sad. Darn those people who don't build things to code. There are reasons for those rules. Must be incredibly frustrating to firefighters. This was very realistic. Nice work.
CapLovesGregandJames chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
There is only ONE word that describes this story and it is...

AWESOME!
pam1 chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
Very believable and sad. I can see Cap feeling this way. Well done.
ubicaritas chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
Wow, this certainly packs an emotional wallop! A tragic progression of events, an inevitable outcome, and probably a true commentary on the way some construction and inspection work is done! No second chances indeed! Thank you.
viola555 chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
wow, a hanky please. Proof that length does not determine the power of the word. Well done.
Ginger S chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
YAY! you did the challenge. Thanks!

But you just had to get me all choked up and sniffly. Poor Marco never knew what happened. I can just see Roy having to restrain Johnny. Chet screaming for help for his buddy. You really know how to bring out the emotion. GREAT JOB!
kathyb9760 chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
Awww man! That is heartbreaking!

I know it's just a short story, but it would be a good one to expand!
Bamboozlepig chapter 1 . 4/1/2011
Oh my god, what a piece, Kel! Very gut-wrenching and emotional, with all the 'supposeds-to's' and 'shouldn't haves' and Cap's guilt at what happened, even though he knows he did what he was supposed to do. Lot of impact in this short piece, bravo on a job well done!