Reviews for The Beginning of the ABC
ColonelDespard chapter 2 . 4/13/2011
Interesting take - given that Enjolras gives Grantaire a chance (when he asks for one) as late as early 1832, and the personalised nature of his slap down at the barricade, I can see some past history between them that colours their interactions as a possibility. It can be a bit difficult to get your head around the timeline if you're new to the history of the Restoration period and July monarchy...send me a PM if you'd like a link to an excellent timeline of significant events concerning history, art, politics and the lives of the Amis, put together by one of the best writer/researchers active in the fandom. It helps put it all in context.
Robyn-Enjolras chapter 1 . 4/9/2011
cute! you should continue this (:
TWSythar chapter 1 . 4/5/2011
Les Mis isn't set in the 17th century. It's the 19th century for most of it. The 17th century would be the period of the Three Musketeers and Louis XIV. Also, about the time when Combeferre, Courfeyrac and Enjolras would have been in their late teens, Napoleon would not have been ruler of the country. Enjolras is 22 in the book during 1832, therefore the date around which he would have been 16-18 would be about 1826-28. Napoleon had been dead since 1821, and exiled since 1815 (Enjolras would have been 5 years old at this point). The ruler would have been Charles X, who was overthrown during the 1830 revolution, leaving Louis-Philipe to take the throne.

I would encourage you to definitely develop more stories in this vein. I'm always interesting to see more pieces on Les Amis, and yours show promise in the characterisation. I personally am not so much a canon-nut as an accuracy nut. -blush- As is probably reeeeeaaally obvious here. I can recommened reading the sections of the book that you will be writing about at least. It can really help when trying for an authentic feel, especially if you don't know much about the period. If you ever need any information or assistance in that department, feel free to PM me. I'd be more than happy to help.
Insanemistosingsmore chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
I'm sorry...but the cafe isn't actually called the A.B.C. Cafe. that's an invention of the musical...it's Le Cafe (accent on the 'e') Musain. characterization wise...it's a little ambiguous as to whether this ficlet belongs in the book or musical section...but decent enough for all that...I know this sounds like a really negative review, but I'm just trying to help. If some of the bigger name authors in this fandom found some of the Musical references...they'd probably tell you in no uncertain terms to read the book or leave the fandom. I'm just trying to help. Honestly, you really just need to clarify a few points in the characteristics...for instance, Courfeyrac does not need a tutor...he simply doesn't care. He, like Bahorel, is a constant class-skipper. Therefore, he would not be seeking help in his classes from anyone. On the plus side, your descriptive writing is phenomenal.