Reviews for The Moon over Volterra
Do'B chapter 1 . 5/3
What is our sense of purpose...as humans we live a life, leaving behind evidence of what once was, vampire though... What is their purpose? What is the point of this mythical being? They go on living forever and the only thing to change art the times. How long after this did Carlise find Edward? Than of course Esme?

I enjoyed reading Carlise's inner thoughts questioning his sense of purpose...
moosals chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
I like how you have portrayed the idea of Carlisle being the same but not - he's alone in the crowd.

Despite the overriding feeling of sadness, there is so much hope inside Carlisle, in his belief that he can be moved and changed, that he can love and be loved and that he can have a purposeful and meaningful life.

I feel sorry for Aro and his entourage. Carlisle is leaving to create a real life for himself, while they are left stagnating inside a museum of artefacts that to them have no meaning.
Thanks :)
Khyharah chapter 1 . 1/10/2014
What a nice look in to Carlisle's mind and doings. I like your interpretation of his reasons for leaving Volterra. Very well written :)
abbyweyr chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
the imagery is so clear, easy to see Carlisle sitting talking to the moon. The loneliness that he feels is beautifully brought out. Cool way to have Aro speechless. Has a long wait ahead to find his companions. Thanks for sharing this bit of insight.
k1942 chapter 1 . 5/25/2012
A really interesting insight into Carlisle's mind. He is so different from others of his kind, it's almost like he's not even a vampire. No wonder Aro grows suspicious of him in two hundred years, he's clearly superior to them all!
SatinCoveredSteel chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
Very nice. :)

You did a great job of capturing Carlisle's character—his isolation from his own kind, his desire to help humanity, his desire for true companionship—a family of his own. It makes me wish I could tell him that even though he believes it to be an impossible dream, he will eventually have that family.
Lady Dragona chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
This is such a fun story. I love learning more of Carlisle though his gentle thoughts and musings to a silent partner. Oh the lonely moon and Carlisle.
medward chapter 1 . 3/6/2012
Melancholy Carlisle! I'm glad he found Esme and his "children" and enjoys his fulfilling career, he deserves it.
Corinne Tate chapter 1 . 10/12/2011
I thought I would taste a sample of your writing. I review as I read, so I don't miss details. Present tense is so difficult to write.

I like the Hippocratic Oath in the beginning. I just checked and I like that this is about Carlisle. Funny, but when you mention the grace of the man in the beginning I was thinking of him, even though I hadn't taken note of who was your main character. Nice way of capturing his proud stance.

Such pretty descriptions of the night and the moonlight. Nice perspective on the age of the moon vs. the age of vampires.

It's beautiful how you've described what sets him apart and makes him feel lonely.

Maybe it's just me, but all his longing for love and family are a little hard to read once you know how the story goes. There are some new insights here, but knowing he's got over a hundred more years to wait, it's just sad.

"...re-conquering his humanity." I like this perspective. He sees how detached the ancient ones have gotten, and he wants to make sure he doesn't "do what they do."

It's nice to see him finally come to the conclusion that he took the Hippocratic Oath not just to be a doctor, but as a deeper vow not to harm humans. I like that he's become firm in his choice, and plans to leave Volterra where everyone is just waiting for him to slip up and join them.

Overall, it's very nicely written. My only complaint is that it's all inside his head, which is fine for a one shot. There are a few phrases which are awkward for an American reader. But since this is a European Carlisle, that's probably how it should be.
WoodLily chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
Your writing is beautiful. You merged Carlisle's yearning thoughts so effortlessly with the poetry that I didn't even see the seam. I loved the mood. It's especially poignant to me to read it right now: I just posted a chapter about Bella's visit to the Cullens' home from Edward's perspective, during which he tells her about Carlisle's early vampire life in Europe.

I especially like this exchange between Carlisle and Aro:

"Among all the things you've studied, what is your main passion?" Carlisle asked.

"Passion?" Aro quirked an eyebrow.

"What fascinated you most? How did arts changed you?"

Aro laughed and lightly shook his head. "You're still so young! Vampires can't change," he stated. "And passion is something difficult to carry on after the first millennium, believe me." But Aro's laugh was neither sincere nor mirthful.

"If art and culture can't change anything, what sense do they have?" Carlisle urged.

But the nighttime patron of the arts remained silent.

Excellent work. Well done.

~Woodlily
chele the original chapter 1 . 9/25/2011
Amazing look in to What Carlisle may have felt and seen. I like it!

o]
malleelee chapter 1 . 9/14/2011
Looking at a part of Carlisle's life that was important to the basic framework of the Twilight Saga one sees that he worked to have his family, and his distaste for the Volture was not just causal. Thinking oneself superior as Aro certainly did and having no intellectual support for the belief had an impact on Carlisle. I enjoyed your short story. Thank you.
Writer-in-the-making16 chapter 1 . 9/10/2011
Brilliant. Simply brilliant.
Siriusmunchkin chapter 1 . 8/4/2011
Loved it.
DreamOfTheEndless chapter 1 . 6/8/2011
Hey:) I love Carlisle on his own right. Thank you for giving him this opportunity of quiet contemplation.

Re Cliff: I think it's Esme!

X0X0