Reviews for Game of Darkness
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 8 . 5/17/2011
Perfect little epilogue to wrap everything up-I like the "calm after the storm" feel of it, but it is bittersweet because, as Carl said, there are still Yami M's other victims.

And Carl's musing over whether anyone can create a personified dark side like that is a little eerie-but interesting counter-point about creating a personified good side.

And yay, that he and Tony will have that talk!
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 7 . 5/17/2011
Aww, I love Tony's reply to Ishizu when she asks him if she can drive him home. XD

And Carl throwing back the "pesky editor" line in Yami M's face was awesome.

Ooh. Yami Marik trying to turn Tony and Carl against each other was intense, but I love that it didn't work. And Tony being so worried for Carl... oh, that was so awesome to see.

And, of course, I love the climax, and Carl's plan-and Tony helping him carry it out.
CSKazaam chapter 3 . 4/22/2011
I like Kolchak's description of regaining consciousness. It's interesting hearing it in someone else's own words!

Poor Tony! Having Yami Marik come after you like that is horrifying. **shudders.** I really like how Tony wants to believe he's just some nut thinking he's a dark being. It such an interesting (and realistic) perspective to view the YGO characters from! And I really like Tony's concern for Kolchak.

For some reason, the discussion about the light, and Kolchak's trying to figure out what Ishizu means, is so amusing. XD And I like Ishizu's description that it's a conviction, and how it's similar to the principle that governs self-confidence.

LOL, is Kolchak still using a film camera? I wonder if that's something he needs to update too! I can't imagine anyone still using film at a newspaper, unless Kolchak really is old-fashioned. XD

In the last scene, I really like how Kolchak seems to be trying to imagine all the reasons for what had happened besides it being that Tony was attacked, until he finally sees him, of course. And man, that message Yami Marik left is so chilling. o.o
CSKazaam chapter 2 . 4/22/2011
I'm definitely liking Kolchak's characterization! I can really picture him saying everything.

I love him trying to rationalize the staff's properties with something logical! And the whole conversation with Ishizu is so interesting, with Ishizu giving hints about her former powers, and Kolchak not having any idea what she's talking about. XD And LOL... classifying Marik's problem as a personality disorder is like saying T-rex is a big lizard. XD **loves the talk about how Yami Marik was created.**

I like the use of the time stamps! It's really interesting to see exactly when everything is occurring. Somehow, it makes it just that much more realistic.

Yikes, poor Kolchak! Yami Marik is one of the most awful things I could imagine running into. o.o I'm almost afraid to find out what he's doing to Kochak!
TheLurkerOnline chapter 8 . 4/21/2011
Aaand the tying up of it all. I enjoyed the reflection on it all. Especially after chapter six's sheer sense of defeat followed by "Illusion? Whauygghagkdabijdfjiissss, AHHHhhhHHhh, mindf-ed. But in a good way..."

"Reminiscent" darn it, was what I intended to type last review. The Demon of Typing Errors strikes again.

Also, the ending? ...I pity Tony Vincenzo. Slightly. But there's something very upbeat about it, maybe the relief that "well, that evil's gone, just a tad emotional scarring, back to dealing with everything else in life".
TheLurkerOnline chapter 7 . 4/21/2011
"And if it weren't for your pesky editor, you still wouldn't know,"

That's vaguely reminesant of something... Ah. Now I have an image of Yami Marik facing off against Scooby Doo forever ingrained in my mind. Forever!

...Not that I'm complaining. xD
CSKazaam chapter 1 . 4/20/2011
Oh gosh, I love the introduction. It's so awful what Kolchak is saying, but it brings back such memories of the show! I love it.

Ha, Kolchak's pretty smooth with that police officer. I feel sorry for him. XD Ooh, and I didn't think it would, but Kolchak hearing that chuckle behind him totally gave me the shivers, even though I already knew who it was. Just the idea of him being *real* and standing right behind you... And even worse, being interested enough in what you were doing to find humor in it... Yikes. I think that's a position I would never want to be in!

I really like the little snippets of Kolchak's comments on his tape recorder! It sounds so much like the show. I can totally imagine the little video sequences that go along with them! Though it does make me wonder why Kolchak is using an old tape recorder, if it's modern day? XD

And I still love that last scene with Tony and Kolchak!

This definitely brings back memories I totally thought I'd forgotten. The more I read, the more that Tony and Kolchak come back to me!
Cruelest Sea chapter 8 . 4/20/2011
An awesome end! Very in character and very well written.

I loved this story and hope you write more for Kolchak in the future!:)
Cruelest Sea chapter 7 . 4/20/2011
Oooh quite awesome! I like your made-over version, it's more fleshed out than the orginal and answers the questions I still had. I love how Tony went along with Kolchak's plans even without fully understanding them.;)

Excellent, and looking forward to the end!

(I hope this is coherant - it's the middle of the morning and I'm in the basement with my cat on my lap and my ipad in my free hand...ah the delightful month of bad weather and tornado warnings. *rolleyes*)
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 6 . 4/17/2011
Ooh, this fic is very awesome and intense.

"The thing." Perfect description of Yami Marik, I must say. And Yami Marik... purring? That's... going to haunt my nightmares.

The way this fic plays out is incredible. First Tony, then the message, then Ishizu and Updyke... So very chilling and horrifying.

And the whole thing with Tony... Oh, wow. So horrifying! And the scene in the church was very powerful; I loved the logic about whether or not Yami Marik could go inside a church.

Looking forward to the conclusion!
Cruelest Sea chapter 6 . 4/16/2011
Wow. O_o

My mind is reeling.

Tony and Updyke and such are alive? It was all an illusion? Does that mean the others killed never died either or were their deaths real?

And the villian is finally gone? Or has he just gone away briefly to return soon?

It's good, very good. But my mind is spinning.

(Sorry about the somewhat incoherant review..it's really late here and I can't sleep so I'm on FF)
Cruelest Sea chapter 5 . 4/16/2011
Holy cow, you killed Updyke AND Tony? *jaw drops a mile*

This villian is getting more and more evil. I hope Kolchak is able to stop him before he kills Miss Emily or Carl himself.

Oh and about the rating, I wouldn't worry about it being higher than a T. If you've read any of my western/war stories you'll know I rate inordinately high just to be on the safe side (character death or any scrap of violence and I automatically make it T). But I'm pretty much the only one on the site who does that as I've seen graphically violent (100 times worse than the violence in this chapter) rated only K or K. I do wish they'd at least warn for cannibalism and male rape though as those are rather unpleasant discoveries halfway through a fic. *sighs*
Cruelest Sea chapter 4 . 4/14/2011
Awesome update! I love how Kolchak is fighting even harder now, and attempting to protect his friends. As usual your descriptions are excellent and the characters are spot on. Looking forward to the next update..or I should say move, as this whole story feels like a chess game, much like the title (that's the first thing I thought of when I saw it since I love chess).:D
Cruelest Sea chapter 3 . 4/12/2011
Goodness what a chilling end. O_O Reminds me of that scene in Starsky & Hutch when a killer takes Starsky and leaves a message in what Hutch thinks is his blood on the wall. There's something about that horrible, hollow look in Hutch's eyes when he sees it that never fails to chill me.

A fanastic chapter. Obviously I have no knowledge of your villian outside of this story but he's about as soulless a monster as Kolchak has ever encountered. The descriptions are also wonderful..I can feel the horror, the fear, and how Kolchak must be feeling at the end of the story. Poor Tony and poor Kolchak.

Eagerly awaiting more!
TheLurkerOnline chapter 3 . 4/12/2011
I have never seen Kolchak: The Night Stalker, my knowledge of Yugi-Gi-Oh comes from the abridged series, and I still find this story awesome. I really like the journal type entries interspersed to set the scenes, and the beginning ("Thanks to this . . . this thing, several people are dead, several more are badly hurt, and several others' minds have been severely damaged." etc) gives some clue as to just how much Kolchak's week is about to, for lack of a better descriptor, "suck most horrifically bad". Also makes me think that there's not exactly so much going to be a "defeat", but rather more like tossing someone outside your house, locking the door but forgetting to close the upstairs window. Or just inconviently having a large rock/brick around with which to smash the downstairs windows. Either or.

Am also curious as to if other Yugi-Gi-Oh characters are going to make cameos. Guess I'll find out later!