Reviews for Down to Earth
Guest chapter 1 . 7/1/2014
Sounds like my relationship I was in, unhealthy yet I was dependent on my ex. Wonderfully written and I liked the weak side of Minerva for a change :)
Cilla Cygnus chapter 1 . 7/6/2013
some of this the "dependable" thing and the infidelity sort of make me think of the Prime of Miss Jean Brody (starring Maggie Smith). There's no strong relation but it just kind of popped into my head. awesome fic.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 3/4/2013
Oh, how heartbreaking! Minerva settles because even a breeze that blows out her window, and then back, again, is better than no breeze at all.

And yet, if Minerva found another who would be faithful to her...Rolanda would be a fond memory, at best.

Still, she takes what she can get.

How sad.
Smayz chapter 1 . 8/31/2012
Wow, I never really saw this angle of Minerva before, but it's interesting to see the weaker side of Minerva.
McGonagall's Bola chapter 1 . 6/16/2011
Somehow, I really, really liked reading this. It was again very, very well written and a joy to read. You have portrayed it all in your own unique way and have done so amazingly again. There were pieces of description and insight that really set the story, like this:

There was really only one option, of course: she must leave Rolanda. There were rules about love just as there were rules about everything that mattered, and one of those rules - - a cardinal one - - said that when you loved Someone and shared your life and your bed with that Someone, you didn't meet other women for casual afternoon trysts. You didn't sleep with other women while leaving your Someone behind to miss you and need you and long for your return.

and all I could really say is, "Well done."
Dicere chapter 1 . 6/11/2011
That was heartbreaking. I hate Rolanda so much right now for being so selfish; and I'm so sorry for Minerva for not realising that Rolanda loves Minerva second to her own pleasure. Brilliant fic, to get me so involved!
saphique chapter 1 . 5/18/2011
I've read this somewhere on livejournal, and let me say again that it's brilliant writing, as usual. I adore your style. I'm a active reader of yours, even though discret... Thanks for sharing!
the real snape chapter 1 . 4/24/2011
/She'd never deluded herself that she - - Minerva the plain, the bookish, the reserved, the down-to-earth - - had much chance of holding on to someone like Rolanda, so passionate and bold and quick, so much a creature of the air./ Such a great way of showing Minerva's insecurities. And the wonderful opposition of down-to-earth and the creature of air.

/She should have known no good could come of such a scheme. / Poor Minerva. The one dashing thing she does.

/"High Spirits Chapel - - All Welcome - - Closed."/ Hilarious. And we could do with a bit of comic relief here.

/"I'm sorry you had to hear that. / But not that she did !

/you know how Filius always has hot milk to help him relax? Well, I have a hot Harpies fan. / Such a great line. It shows so clearly how callous Rolanda is - but at the same time, one understand the temptation to do this, simply because one can.

And your introduction, / I think those experiences leave traces, even after one grows up and in most ways is a success.

/, is so very true. You've depicted Minerva's feelings beautifully.
Vera Rozalsky chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
Without any on-stage deaths or other spectacular effects, this story is intensely painful, the more so as you paint Rolanda in all her dashing glory; she's _very_ attractive, very desirable, and a retiring sort like Minerva might well be bowled over. How that plays out, over the years, once one partner has agreed, wordlessly, to the asymmetric contract ... well, it's painfully realistic. All of the details feed into this, going as far back as the parental judgment of Minerva and her sister.
abacab chapter 1 . 4/5/2011
Wow!

Intense and sad. Rings true of how people work.
Swallow B chapter 1 . 4/4/2011
You told me my story was painful. I am surprised at how painful I found this one. I recognise my Rolanda and my Minerva. That's just how I see them. (You even called Minerva's sister Diana, as I did - not that it was a very original idea.) So of course, I don't find Minerva out of character at all. It fits well with your exploration of her. It seems you try a new angle in each of your stories, and I must say, you do it very well. ( And if I happen to prefer some angles to others, it's only a matter of personal choice.)
CourtpaigeMinervagirl chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
I loved it! Not many people write Minerva in that way but I enjoyed it. I'm so used to the fierce, strict teacher. If your thinking of adding on, please do!

CPMG
aptasi chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
I find this story particularly fascinating because it's so different from the way I'm used to looking at Minerva. However, it fits. Some of the strongest people I know have that kind of weakness in personal matters.