Reviews for Look My Way
00000909000000 chapter 1 . 5/8/2011
I really enjoyed this story. The interaction between Raoul and Erik was all kinds of awesome. I love how off-kilter Raoul makes Erik feel, because he doesn't react the way Erik thanks he should. Thanks for sharing!
Haru Kinome chapter 1 . 4/17/2011
(...not only am I late, but the time stamp also does not indicate the posting of this review to be Saturday; therefore, I've broken my promise D: Doubtless, that can never be forgiven; so while I do not seek forgiveness, I still sincerely and grievously apologize for my inexcusable lateness. m(_ _)m Gomen nasai; I'm so very very sorry ):)

Good: This is gonna sound weird, but while reading this I couldn't help but be reminded of the Mask series; it seems to share the common theme of hidden things. Most obviously, this fic itself is a representation of that idea: while there are plot points that are fundamental to both it and the encompassing story, such as Raoul's walks throughout the opera house, there are also many little details casually scattered throughout that hint at the more intricate narrative underlying it, like the added complication of the ringing in Raoul's ear to his disability. (It's almost a little bit mean, actually, to mention those details; they make the fic much more vivid, but at the same time, they entice curiosity and the insatiable desire to know of what import they are in the overall story.) And when it comes to Erik and Raoul, unlike AMFAO and UTC, they stand at opposite ends of the spectrum. Raoul has become eerily adept at hiding: his true temperament and his anxieties as he adjusts to his new condition are veiled by detached courtesy (and I do love how strong his character is in this fic; there's a fierce fire of determination in him that makes him seem more mature, and I like how the formal writing style supports it). Erik finally has the chance to be the someone beneath the ghost and the angel, but he struggles to identify and even find that person in himself (which I think is a bit ironic, since in POTO he fights tooth and nail to have that kind of opportunity with Christine, but here he has it and barely knows what to do with it). But, as they say, opposites attract, and while Erik and Raoul clash during their interaction and can't help but antagonize each other, at the same time they're still intrigued by one another (I love how they're already thoroughly infected: Erik's music is starting to match the beat of Raoul's steps and Raoul is becoming acquainted with Erik's scent. Preslash all kinds of awesome). They both know the other is special, but they're still teetering on the verge of wanting to form some kind of kinship (I adore how Raoul already trusts Erik enough to touch him and retie the blindfold; that made me smile). I suppose Erik's situation is a little easier to understand; despite his jealousy, he's still attracted to Raoul, and the internal conflict just makes him pissed off XD But I'm really liking the obvious divide between the way the opera residents regard Raoul and how they treat Erik; it's the kind of cosmic unfairness central to POTO, yet multiplied since only a few situational factors create such an incredible difference.

So thank you very much for writing this fic and for letting the world (or, more specifically, me) have the chance to read it _ As always, it's nothing short of incredible; and even though it does make me curious about the overall blind!Raoul story, it's complete enough on its own that the ending is satisfying and it doesn't leave a bunch of loose ends and questions that go unanswered. It's a very pleasing standalone, so thankies :)

Bad: Just some typo thingies :3

"...dependent upon who they would happen upon in the hallways." 'Upon' takes an object, so 'whom' instead of 'who'.

"...waist; his valet following suit." Replace the semicolon with a comma; semicolons are for separating independent clauses.

"It is you who treat me differently." The verb tense of 'treat' sounds weird to me here. Maybe replace with 'treats'?

Anou, also, I feel like maybe 'constitutional' was repeated too many times. It's a lovely word, and it fits perfectly into the tone/style of his fic, but... awww, you were doing so well with avoiding frequent word repetition.
Sora Kohaku chapter 1 . 4/12/2011
I see I'm not the only one who has thought of blind!Raoul...injured during his time in the Navy and everything. Though I probably would have presented him different. This was a version I didn't think about but I do enjoy this version.
Mallie chapter 1 . 4/11/2011
Ok, I know you said not to hope this will be continued but I can't help it. I don't even mind that you've skipped over some plot points, I'm just really loving this! I'd just like to see if Raoul ever figures out who Erik is. Under the circumstances I think he'd be rather understanding if he heard the entire story.

I'm also enjoying the fact that Erik seems to both admire Raoul's courage in refusing to hise away, but is at the same time envious of the way others accept him. Or is it jealousy that they can associate with him openly and he has to sneak around?
Kidnapkid chapter 1 . 4/8/2011
I didn't even notice Chrissy wasn't around till you said something at the end. Little ficlets like these work better without a whole mess of people confusing things. V. Sweet.

KK
SomethingIDontKnow chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
um... im certianly NOT saying that you should continue. i'd like to beg, but i have to have /some/ kind of dignity, right? i think blind raoul is about the best sort i've found. my pechant for sensory deprivation aside, it think it's full of possibility. as ever, i'm eager for more, and that plan to write just never... bloomed. but i've got it in box, so im not putting my hope away. but i digress. loved it as ever, awaiting more, as ever, and many more thanks for what you do.
tophis1 chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
Hellz yes! Thank you for making this!
whatevergirl chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
Aww, that was sweet, unexpectedly so. Raoul was amazing! :)
Silverwind Fara chapter 1 . 4/6/2011
Great as always.

I love the way you write.
The Crazed Artist chapter 1 . 4/6/2011
I'll try to resist gushing and squealing like mad that you actually posted this and added another bit to the war-scarred!Raoul plot in this review and try to keep it as objective as possible.

One, I love your OC's. Henri is barely characterized, word-count wise, and yet I still love him. Also yey for Raoul with back bone! I guess it takes facial disfigurement and physical disability to get the man to grow a spine...woopee for Raoul? D But I do admit, it's an interesting shift in character from your earlier stories, such as Reluctantly Willing. (Not that they're worse or poor, just very different Raoul's :3)

I also enjoy Erik being the one thrown-off for once. Even though he technically had the "upper-hand" physically and territory, Raoul was still able to impress and out-wit him. It's refreshing, especially since it was done within plausibility and without making Erik seem like a total pansy.

Best line: "Try to restrain your disbelief of what minute intelligence I have revealed to you by that observation. Your low expectation of me is blaringly loud."

Lord, I laughed for about five minutes straight at that line. Just imagining Raoul delivering that line with a flat voice and face sends me into a fit of giggles that I cannot quite explain why. :)

I would lie if I said I haven't been looking forward to this post ever since you said you might try to do it. It has to be one of the nicest, sweetest birthday gifts I have ever received and I can't thank you enough for doing it! I have never had someone write me a piece as a gift before and now I feel I must find out your birthday so I can hopefully do something equally nice back for you.

Thank you so much!

-The Crazed Artist

(PS. I nearly had a fit when i got the post alert, this has really made my week and probably month. Thank you so very very much!)
Emilx311 chapter 1 . 4/6/2011
Wow yet another amazing fic, I really wish you would continue it but i know that that's not going to happen so whatever. I love blind Raoul, well Raoul with any sort of handicap is awesome. Loved it as always!

~Emi