Reviews for Stray but a little
Mia-philosephet chapter 1 . 4/30/2011
I'm guessing that Legolas is the compassionate/merciless one in the story. :) Wow, I would NOT want to be in Boromir's place! I particularly liked Legolas's comparison of Gondor and Mirkwood. The two realms truly are similar in their endless war with Sauron that has led to their slow decline. I had not thought of the two characters as sharing anything in common, but I see that they indeed do. I hope Legolas, in his intensity to preserve his realm and save the fellowship, didn't push Boromir over the edge. "The edge of a knife" is a perfect illustration for the tension here. Well done, as always.

Mia _
The Pearl Maiden chapter 1 . 4/9/2011
Wow. That dialogue was intense. Beautiful oneshot. I think you described their emotions perfectly. Brava! :)
LyradanaGreetsTheWind chapter 1 . 4/9/2011
Golly gosh, this story had me biting my lip as I read through it. A wonderful argument, this one having no mirth, sadly.

The trials of Boromir have always haunted me and I enjoy re-reading my Tolkien for pleasure every few years (as I love them so). Here in your story entitled "Stay But A Little" you have touched upon a few raw nerves and made us all think even more.

My sadness for Boromir remains always, as his was a life of duty and trial and at the last (after his doom descended upon him) of great bravery and desire for others to survive and go on to fight for all of Middle earth.

Your argument, here played out by two men of noble blood, is unusual because I can clearly hear Legolas also admitting desire for the Ring in a way. Duty for the sake of others rules both their lives, but they are still young and desire can overpower judgement.

Sadly, we all know of Isulder's Bane that became Boromir's Doom, here is a fine story of compassion and pride. That the White City is only a shadow of the once beautiful Osgiliath that now lies in ruins at the river is very true, Gondor is merely a clever fortress, a pile of stones that is the last refuge in a way, for the remaining peoples. But it is Boromir's home, that he has fought for all of his life to serve and protect for the future.

Mirkwood is the birthplace of Legolas and he feels no less love for it than Boromir does for Gondor I would think, but here in your story you suggest that love for all of the living and the myriad folk that be sing in Legolas and that perhaps Boromir has been raised to love his own folk first before others.

But then, the Eye of the Great Enemy lives in a terrible tower only across the river from Osgiliath (it's sister city in many ways, long ago), no doubt Boromir has always been aware in some way of it's gaze, upon his home, upon his people. And upon himself.

So very sad. Another fine argument you have posed, I salute your deep talent, I applaud your story telling abilities, I somehow enjoyed this torture as a fine tale and I wish to say thank you for writing and sharing such a fine piece of work. Well done, that author there!
Ecri chapter 1 . 4/8/2011
Wow! Beautifully written. That was an insightful and believable exchange between Boromir and Legolas. Their identical fears for their people and their different approaches to the quest and the protection of their homes is just beautifully realized.
leralonde chapter 1 . 4/8/2011
I loved the dialog in this story. They both make their point of view very well. Legolas shows compassion for Boromir when he tells him of the struggles of his own people. And he admits to feeling the pull of the ring. But he turns on him and asks him why he doesn't leave. Perhaps the last prodding that he needs.
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
Brilliant as always! :)
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
Wow. This is stunning - Boromir's despair and capture in his own thoughts is palpable, as palpable as is the influence worming its way *into* his thoughts, although it is not clearly named here. The confrontation with Legolas is intense. I also love the way Legolas makes it clear to Boromir what they both have in common. I always thought that Legolas pof all people had to feel the most kinship with Boromir's situation as a champion of a besieged people, and you bring that to the point beautifully, here. The end is tense and foreboding, indeed.

Thank you for this great story!
summersidefolly chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
Excellent! Well written! I only had trouble comprehending one sentence ~ Under the weak glare of the winter sun, the marshlands warmed enough to whisper of a fouler stench should spring ever return to the swamps. I think it was the 'should' that confused me. After I paused before reading the 'should' it made sense. Maybe it needs a comma or something. I don't know. Well, anyway, it was a terrific read! Thanks for sharing!
Ceanen chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
Fabulous, as always! You have such a way with dialogue...it's always seamless and believable, while still descriptive and beautiful.
GreenGreatDragon chapter 1 . 4/6/2011
very interesting! i've recently been intrigued by the similarities in legolas and boromir; their homelands face much the same difficulties and i've thought about what their relationship would be like. this is an excellent little scene depicting their interaction with each other! i like how you started with a contrast between boromir and faramir and worked it into boromir and legolas; that's hard to do and not make it seem random, but you were able to make it flow perfectly and there didn't seem to be any awkwardness at all in that transition. so well done and write again soon!
25 | « Prev Page 1 2