Reviews for Responsibilities
Syntyche chapter 12 . 1/11/2012
Hello again!

Another excellent piece of work. You have a fantastic gift that allows you to write such wonderfully intriguing and complex stories in your first couple of outings. I really enjoyed the TNG crossover, it seemed so perfect and I hope there are more stories to come about Tom's time on the enterprise (I think I see at least one to devour already posted ;D).

Thanks for posting - I look forward to reading more of your fic!
Kurbits chapter 12 . 10/22/2011
iIn 2010 alone landmines and other explosive remnants of war killed approximately 4,000 civilians, mostly farmers tilling their fields or herders tending their flocks. In most countries children make up over half the victims; they do like to play with shiny things./i

Thank you for this. It can't be repeated enough the evil landmines cause.

Great story and quite emotional. At one point I was bawling like a Betazoid.

I have no love of law, and that has its reasons, mostly because of the fact that it is politics, and that personal biases more often than not is influencing whole processes and verdicts. I have ample experience of it being just that personally. I have no love of courtroom scenes because of it. However, they are in this story written well and they serve a purpose, which anyone who reads it understand at the end.

Good characterisation and a believable story. Well done.
QuasiOuster chapter 12 . 7/23/2011
This was a brilliant story. What I appreciated was that it was a big story but it didn’t go for too much. There were things happening in the background to give it texture but it never distracted from the core adventure of the characters. This was also a really interesting character study of Tom in the many roles he has to juggle. I think it's because you took such care to make this a true ensemble story told from the perspective of one person. The focus is squarely on Tom but its done in a way that you get all of these different angles through his various interactions. The possibilities that you set up that come to light in the last chapter are incredibly satisfying and intriguing.

I'm so impressed with your approach to writing science fiction. All the progress and technology that the future holds can't keep humanity from continuing to grapple with important moral questions. And that process of grappling and engaging and hopefully changing is really the mark of an advanced species. Your story gets into the meat of that through Tom's eyes and I very much enjoyed coming along for the ride.
Stargate.sg1.atlantis.fan chapter 12 . 6/2/2011
Hey Nog was fast tracking to in DS9. He went to DS9 as a Sophmore Cadet...two years later he was a Lieutenant at the end of the series.

Talk about FAST TRACKING! Having said that...I just realized that Nog...outranks Harry Kim...and the dude is younger than Kim and didn't start the academy until season 4 of DS9 (or was it season 5) which would'be been season 1-3 of Voyager. I think...talk about unfair! Poor Kim.
Heather Snow chapter 12 . 5/13/2011
Very, very good, as was Choices. I love the characterization and the development of Tom Paris, easily my favorite Voyager character.

There's not much of his interaction with B'Elanna in these stories, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I much prefer reading of his interaction with colleagues.

I think Tom's full potential is really shining through in these stories. I look forward to reading about his experiences as Captain of his own ship. I'd love to see him interact some more with Picard again.
ancientmaverick chapter 12 . 5/1/2011
Once again, you have produced a masterpiece! This was a fantastic story, incredibly planned and executed down to the last detail. This is the Tom Paris I always wanted to see on Voyager, and while we caught glimpses every so often, it was never quite enough. And to take aim at the Prime Directive at the same time? Sheer brilliance. That was always a problem for the series, and frequently ignored. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Tom's time on Enterprise, and of course, seeing what trouble he can stir up with Voyager.
Nana Evans chapter 12 . 4/27/2011
Sorry it took so long to review this chapter, when I saw it was complete I decided to read it from the begining...

But back to what matters... Really liked the "Paris principle"... you know, there's some sense in the whole "non interference with non warp species" thing but some times you have to look beyond that and just... do what need to be done. anway, I had never really stoped to think about the P.D., but you really got me thinking about it...

and by the way, are you planning on writing an epiloge or something? I would really like to see Captain Paris commanding Voyager...

well, see you in another fic (I hope)!
supesfan18 chapter 12 . 4/22/2011
fantastic job on this story cant wait for more stories with the family paris and his new job on voyager
Juddysbuddy chapter 12 . 4/21/2011
I thoroughly loved this story! I loved everything about it including the way the trial was going on and then it told what happened. Tom was perfect! I also liked the way Dr. Finnell had a chance to redeem himself and how Tom encouraged him with his own story. Also, I have always thought the Prime Directive was a bad idea. I can see why they shouldn't pop in on some primitive people and tell them about about space travel but to let a civilization or village or whatever be wiped out when they could do something to help is heartless. I really like the amendments to the Prime Directive.

I hope you will write a lot more stories about Tom. Thanks for writing!
beautyofsorrow chapter 12 . 4/21/2011
Wonderful. I *really* enjoyed this story-especially with the chapter-by-chapter format. It made for easier reading, and gave me something to look forward to (i.e. a well-written fanfiction!). I've greatly enjoyed reading your exploration of Tom's character. I must say, it has given me a new appreciation to just how complicated and well-rounded he is. Not to mention incredibly selfless and loyal.

That said, ALL of the characters were spot on. I loved watching B'Elanna and Tom be parents, and whenever you featured Miral, it brought a soft smile to my face. She's so cute-I could see her laughing and playing and, of course, eating pizza. I always enjoy it when Trek features children-Naomi Wildman and Molly O'Brien are two of my favorite secondary characters of all time. I am delighted to say that, with your capable representation, Miral Paris has joined their ranks.

That one sentence, I believe it was in the last chapter (11), where Harry pauses and looks up at the warp core-whew, I could see him in that moment. It's exactly what he would do. I applaud you for your ability to capture characters other than your favorite.

All in all, I greatly enjoyed this story, and I really, really hope your muse gives you a story that puts Tom and B'Elanna back on Voyager. Really, that ending made me so happy. I was smiling for hours after I read it! Well done! Be proud of this one.
Anke chapter 12 . 4/21/2011
You wished for a review in German, so you'll get one:

Nachdem ich dir ja schon zwischendrin immer wieder meine Weisheiten per PM mitgeteilt habe, hier noch mal die Zusammenfassung: Es war eine wunderbare, unglaublich durchdachte, gut geschriebene Geschichte, die ich sehr, sehr genossen habe!
archteri chapter 12 . 4/21/2011
Wonderful, fabulous story. I love a strong, capable Tom. I hope you do write some additional stories of Tom's time on the Enterprise or at the Jim Kirk Center. His outside the box thinking is fun to follow.

I thought your case for changing the Prime Directive was very well thought out. Excellent, long, engaging story.

Thanks for sharing.

T.
antra chapter 12 . 4/21/2011
I was surprised when I saw it was completed but it's nice to see that there are still things to come in this universe. You could also write something about him starting his captaincy on the Voyager. Because there is the next question that would have to be answered: who would be a good 2IC for Tom Paris? If you want to stay with canon characters that won't be easy.

Now to the chapter: I really liked that McFaddyen went after the Judge. Not because it was a good move for the case or to show that the man really was biased, but because it is the civilized way to tell him what you think of him.

Since I already wrote a few chapters before that I didn't think the Prime Directive really covered this case I'm not surprised that the court thinks the same.

To Nechayev, from what I remember of her from TNG I can readily imagine her like that. She may have a cold and calculated personality but she tries to do what she thinks best. And lets be honest, to get to change the prime directive is not an easy feat, to not use the political opportunities given to her would have been a blatant oversight, and the Admiral is a lot of things, but she isn't stupid.
Runawaymetaphor chapter 12 . 4/21/2011
She gave him... [sob] Voyager.

Talk about crying over your breakfast as you read.
snow6835 chapter 12 . 4/20/2011
Omg, please please please send out those other stories and hopefully a sequel to this (with Tom as Captain and a whole new crew with maybe some familiar faces) too! I loved the way you wrapped up everything regarding the trial so quickly and added in the twist of it all being a catalyst for Starfleet to make the changes they've needed for so long. And a giant jungle-gym for the kids on the Paris grounds... gotta love Tom's forever present inner child! Beautifully written and just plain awesome story! Looking forward to more stories to come!
80 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »