Reviews for Saving Face
Deleted-Offline Permanently chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
this was awesome
Kitakana chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
This is really well written. I think Maikoh is fascinating and love reading stories like this. You certainly succeeded making it creepy and disturbing, but really good at the same time!
The Melon Lord Approves chapter 1 . 12/13/2012
I have always been deeply fascinated by the idea of MaiKoh. Whether it's the greatest showdown in history or the Avaverse's answer to Persephone, I haven't yet made up my mind, but this story has just enough of both to make it perfect.

Seriously, I needed this. The idea of Mai facing down the Face Stealer has long been a favorite postseries headcanon of mine, and do you know that yours is the only story listed with Mai and Koh as characters? There's something ineffably wrong with that. Thank you for writing this awesome, thoroughly creepy story.
The Heavens' Answer chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
Brilliant. Never thought of matching these two up in a story - but now that you have, it works so perfectly - it'd make sense that she'd be one of the only ones who could last that long and survive the ordeal. You definitely succeeded in extremely creepy and disturbing tone. Thanks for sharing.
Lunatique chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
WOW. That was amazing! So creepy and vivid. The way Koh's alien mind obsessed, fantasized, and schemed was repulsive, yet fascinating. Then I realize the mind of this spirit is not so different from that of human stalkers and kidnappers, and the creep factor goes off the chart.

Mai's resilience and vulnerability formed the other pillar of the story in stark contrast to Koh's PoV, how she turned her repressive upbringing into a strength, her will to survive her ordeal, her steadfast belief in Zuko, and how she was worn down, body and soul, with despair, her very fibers stripped away until she went to the edge and still held on. Powerful and painful stuff.

I'll admit I wanted this to end in an epic showdown with Koh gone once and for all, his twisted desire used against him for his destruction. I think that ending would have been a security blanket more than anything, though. The basic reason Koh became Koh does not change because human nature doesn't change, and when we feel loathing for Koh we really look into a mirror - a dizzying parade of faces, and the moment we react we find our own faces staring back at us.

I think this story will stay with me a long time because of the unflinching way you engaged with the horror of the situation, and how you refused to make it go away in the end. It leaves a lingering sense of fear and makes me think. Outstanding.
DarkDiDlly chapter 1 . 11/22/2012
MAKE A SEQUEL!

This is amazing!
IgnotusLector chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
Hello,

I was curious about what kind of encounter it might be between Mai and Koh after seeing a few memes on deviantart. This fic is the only one that came up that described just an event, and... boy did it deliver its promise.

I read this from beginning to end with a hunger that I rarely have when reading on fanfiction. Your writing is impressive. The tone was perfect, the dialogues, amazing.

I will go look into your profile to see if I can find more of this quality to read.

Thank you for uploading.

Cheers!

IgnotusLector
gemclaw chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
Wow, that was perfectly done. Congratulations on having written something so beautiful and disturbing - a good disturbing.
Purple Handprint chapter 1 . 8/8/2012
Holy fucking shit. That was fucking amazing. Good job, meltinglacier, good fucking job.

Just... holy shit.
grizzlybairparty chapter 1 . 7/21/2012
O-kay then.

This was creepy. A spirit falling for someone who won't show emotion.
mj-hedwig13 chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
That was amazing! I have goosbumps all over O.o
hinan-kuro chapter 1 . 6/24/2012
Goal totally accomplished! Beautifully eerie and haunting. If anyone could survive Koh it'd be Mai.
vifetoile89 chapter 1 . 6/8/2012
You most certainly succeeded in your goal. OH MAN. I gave a shudder every time that you described Koh "winding" himself around Mai - and I was keeping count, in a morbidly fascinated way. (I'm not sure if the idea of Koh as a full-body shapeshifter makes this fic better or worse). The way you show Mai's mental degeneration is fantastic. Mai is already one of my favorite characters (in a series full of great characters), and you really elevated her to the state of a force of nature.

Fantastic job. I found myself keeping my face impassive when reading sections narrated by Mai - and that is a big deal, for me. From beginning to end, this was a fantastically written bit of work. (I almost want to imagine a title for Mai, the one who endured Koh's games - Lady Mai somethingimpressivesounding.)
zethia chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Wow, I'm thoroughly creeped out by this. Amazing writing and intriguing premise, bur nightmares for days.

Oh well, nice job anyway.
saphira and shruikan chapter 1 . 5/10/2012
Ooooh, I'm feelin' some Fullmetal Alchemist tones in this! The whole humans never give up thing and the jealousy thing was very reminiscent of Envy.
84 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »