Reviews for Saving Face
Darrakk chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
Oh boy did you succeed! Awesomely creepy story!
Ko-pia chapter 1 . 3/30/2013
...well, thanks for the upcoming nightmares. This was almost too well written.
Energetic red chapter 1 . 3/25/2013
Disturbing but fascinating, I loved it! Great job, glad mai was rescued, you captured Koh perfectly. :D
Fireborn101 chapter 1 . 3/13/2013
This was really really creepy. But also really really good. You used Mai's fake flatness really well and you did a great job in showing that her flatness is all an act.
Thank you for giving it a happy ending. I didn't want Mai to die faceless.
Deleted-Offline Permanently chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
this was awesome
Kitakana chapter 1 . 1/1/2013
This is really well written. I think Maikoh is fascinating and love reading stories like this. You certainly succeeded making it creepy and disturbing, but really good at the same time!
The Melon Lord Approves chapter 1 . 12/13/2012
I have always been deeply fascinated by the idea of MaiKoh. Whether it's the greatest showdown in history or the Avaverse's answer to Persephone, I haven't yet made up my mind, but this story has just enough of both to make it perfect.

Seriously, I needed this. The idea of Mai facing down the Face Stealer has long been a favorite postseries headcanon of mine, and do you know that yours is the only story listed with Mai and Koh as characters? There's something ineffably wrong with that. Thank you for writing this awesome, thoroughly creepy story.
The Heavens' Answer chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
Brilliant. Never thought of matching these two up in a story - but now that you have, it works so perfectly - it'd make sense that she'd be one of the only ones who could last that long and survive the ordeal. You definitely succeeded in extremely creepy and disturbing tone. Thanks for sharing.
Lunatique chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
WOW. That was amazing! So creepy and vivid. The way Koh's alien mind obsessed, fantasized, and schemed was repulsive, yet fascinating. Then I realize the mind of this spirit is not so different from that of human stalkers and kidnappers, and the creep factor goes off the chart.

Mai's resilience and vulnerability formed the other pillar of the story in stark contrast to Koh's PoV, how she turned her repressive upbringing into a strength, her will to survive her ordeal, her steadfast belief in Zuko, and how she was worn down, body and soul, with despair, her very fibers stripped away until she went to the edge and still held on. Powerful and painful stuff.

I'll admit I wanted this to end in an epic showdown with Koh gone once and for all, his twisted desire used against him for his destruction. I think that ending would have been a security blanket more than anything, though. The basic reason Koh became Koh does not change because human nature doesn't change, and when we feel loathing for Koh we really look into a mirror - a dizzying parade of faces, and the moment we react we find our own faces staring back at us.

I think this story will stay with me a long time because of the unflinching way you engaged with the horror of the situation, and how you refused to make it go away in the end. It leaves a lingering sense of fear and makes me think. Outstanding.
DarkDiDlly chapter 1 . 11/22/2012
MAKE A SEQUEL!

This is amazing!
IgnotusLector chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
Hello,

I was curious about what kind of encounter it might be between Mai and Koh after seeing a few memes on deviantart. This fic is the only one that came up that described just an event, and... boy did it deliver its promise.

I read this from beginning to end with a hunger that I rarely have when reading on fanfiction. Your writing is impressive. The tone was perfect, the dialogues, amazing.

I will go look into your profile to see if I can find more of this quality to read.

Thank you for uploading.

Cheers!

IgnotusLector
gemclaw chapter 1 . 8/23/2012
Wow, that was perfectly done. Congratulations on having written something so beautiful and disturbing - a good disturbing.
Purple Handprint chapter 1 . 8/8/2012
Holy fucking shit. That was fucking amazing. Good job, meltinglacier, good fucking job.

Just... holy shit.
grizzlybairparty chapter 1 . 7/21/2012
O-kay then.

This was creepy. A spirit falling for someone who won't show emotion.
mj-hedwig13 chapter 1 . 7/4/2012