Reviews for Born To Die
impoeia chapter 7 . 2/9/2013
This is such a sweet moment to be shared between Milo and Kalinda and it makes perfect sense. They have both experienced a heavy loss in their past, a loss that has helped shape them and the fact that they get to bond a little over that is bittersweet. It deepens their understanding of each other, while at the same time honouring those they have lost. I think that is especially important considering they are still trying to get to know each other and Milo, still being a shiny, would still have certain preconceived ideas about the Jedi. So seeing that Kalinda can not only share in his remembrance, but can sympathise as well, would go a long way to making her more approachable and human to Milo and Kalinda of course, gets a better idea of his experiences.

I like the way you made Milo's old squad come alive like that. The idea that Grant would make it "his life's mission" to learn as many swears as he could is just too adorable and, to be frank, such an adolescent thing to do. And considering that he was still very young when he died, that is perfectly within character.

I think this chapter is a wonderful foundation for the more relaxed, closer relationship these two will share in the future. Wonderful piece of writing.
Dawn of Time chapter 4 . 10/23/2011
Beautiful, :D Stone and Milo together before their squad. It was interesting to know were Trax's scar and appreciation for guns came from. For Crest, did his Sarge Rush get killed? And did Milo's brothers get killed too?
Admiral Daala chapter 7 . 8/30/2011
Very cool )
CNQ chapter 7 . 8/28/2011
its nice how most clones honor the fallen in such manners. its a disipline type thing. once you practice doing good, it becomes natural. though Jango was not a blood born Mando, he adopted many of their ways.
Queen chapter 7 . 8/28/2011
Oh Milo. It's just too sad. I do like, though, how Milo's holding the ceremony of remembrance, and Kali stumbles into it and tries to understand and join Milo. And I loved this line: "they slipped out of his mouth with what he supposed might be considered eloquence, though Mando'a often seemed bulky and gruff on his tongue." There's just something very elegant about it, even though the language itself is rather gruff. Milo's memories of his brothers were so bittersweet...it's obvious how much he cares about them, but they're gone too.

And this: "Milo wondered if he'd ever meet someone who would look at him the way he'd seen her looking at the captain." That's just so terribly sad, knowing it never really happens for Milo, even with his crush on Honi.

I already miss Milo...
CNQ chapter 2 . 8/27/2011
i just love medbays and medics. sad but calming. great job.
CNQ chapter 1 . 8/27/2011
i feel for Traxis in a new way. its amazing since very few clones actually survived Teth. i love this!
SerendipityAEY chapter 7 . 8/27/2011
Very touching piece, Milo is so absolutely sincere, it's really moving the way he thinks about his brothers and talks with Kali. Love the setting, it was described beautifully :) I love Alderaan.

Milo's unsureness in talking to Kali, all the things he doesn't think a Jedi would want to hear, was really endearing, and it was cute when he kept wanting to salute her. I enjoyed reading about all the touches of Mando traditions, and Kali's remembrance of Jonas was really nice. Beautiful chapter!
sachariah chapter 7 . 8/27/2011
Sigh. You make me miss him more.

Its been a while since I read Milo's first peice in this series, but I remembered Grant and Spades when he mentioned them. This is such a sobering peice, obviously more so since Mi's demise. But it was also a lovely image, seeing him try to honor his fallen brothers in the only way he knows. Arguably the Mando line is a bit simplistic, but as Milo says, "I thought it sounded nice." And it's a way for him to remember.

Loved how you tied Kali in here; first with Milo sharing the practice, then his hint of longing, wondering if he would ever understand or experience the thing that Kali and Stone have. It's such a sad moment, now, since we know he ultimately doesn't quite get there. Sigh...

You always do a great job with Milo's shinyness, and this is no exception. A little overly eager to please, quick to doubt himself, and just... man, I miss the guy.

Great peice.
The Righterzpen chapter 2 . 6/5/2011
The proof of his soul was all around him - he just couldn't see it right than!

Good writing!
Queen chapter 6 . 6/1/2011
Nice job of portraying an early interaction between Kali and Crest, and Crest is so stiff! Poor guy, can't even let himself lean back in his chair. And I'm sure Kali loved getting to see Crest not being Mr. Proper Soldier with all his kriffing shabla swearing.

"I didn't hear a sir in any of that". Oh Kali, lol! This was such a nice way of breaking the ice between the two of them. Great work, as usual.
sachariah chapter 6 . 5/31/2011
After "Untouchable", Crest has become one of my favorite members of Shadow Squad, maybe right behind the Captain himself. This was a great glance at his "first impressions" of and for Kali. Even while struggling to keep up his good trooper act you get the impression that he's naturally more laid back and posseses a sense of humour - and after the little dashboard malfunction, there's no doubt about it.

"Next time, I'll toss that one into the mix." Love it! I envy you, having an entire OC squad, plus a Jedi, to play with. Whereas I wrestle myself sick with one OC clone, and I can't even keep him alive past Order 66!

Great job!
Queen chapter 5 . 5/30/2011
Love your description of the fire early on: "flickering, lambent embers, crackling tongues of flame that licked up the stacked logs." Very visual and palpable.

It was also nice to see this early interaction between Traxis and Kali, both of them reliving some bad memories, but bonding in the process and realizing they were stronger for it in the end.

And Traxis' "Jedi aren't supposed to hate" at the end was cute. He doesn't really seem to have a real grip on the difference between really hating something, and just using 'hate' as a term for 'dislike'. Makes me wonder if he's ever really experienced hatred.

As always, wonderful job.
Just a Crazy-Man chapter 5 . 5/30/2011
Oh love...:)
sachariah chapter 5 . 5/30/2011
Lovely piece - Trax is such a hardened character. It's touching to see him open up with Kali here, especially since they both share the marks of some painful and defining experience.

Awesome job with the setting; it was peaceful and serene, almost in a wistful way. And of course, it makes Trax feel awkward. Loved his thought regarding his HUD and a pair of blasters to some vague "bad feeling" - a very believable POV for a clone trooper.

The moment when he brings a blanket to Kali was so sweet - again, mostly due to his crusty personality. It's always great to see such a person show a soft side, in a "soldiery" way.

I forgot to ask this about the first one-shot (Traxis again) - is the battle of Teth the same as in the TCW movie? I didn't think so - AFAIK that was a 501st op - but I was curious.

Great work.