Reviews for Crossing the Equator
creek-chub chapter 12 . 9/19/2011
I'm so glad you let Chris and Natalie end up together. I really was worried for a bit! I do hope we get an update at some point in a later story, however short a line it may be, about how Pike does with his recovery. I also wouldn't mind seeing the two of them show up occasionally...I really think Natalie is a wonderful character and with the way you brought her to life I feel as though she's canon (at least, she is to me...and since no one in canon has ever said there ISN'T a Natalie then...why not, eh?)

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and stories of these characters with us. :)
RetiredAccount101 chapter 12 . 8/23/2011
EEEEEK! *falls off chair*

...ouch, well now that THAT'S out of the way...

I don't want to stop reading this! I t is so great!

Keep writing

~E.
SG1SamFan chapter 10 . 8/12/2011
"Like most couples, they had opted for a non-binding marriage contract that expired each two years. Couples who wanted to continue their marriages simply renewed the contract when the expiration date was up. Divorce had become rare since letting a marriage contract expire was easier—and far less expensive."

Five years ago I wrote a story that included a similar version of this setup! What a crazy coincidence! What inspired you to include this? Perhaps we had similar inspirations for it.
SG1SamFan chapter 12 . 8/12/2011
An email bounced from forever ago and turned off my author alerts, so I've missed out on a lot of story from you!

I read the final three chapters of this because I so love your OC that I had to see what happened. :-) Thank you so much for sharing!
Redflowercactus chapter 12 . 8/8/2011
Wow. A great ending to an amazing story. I hope to see more great writing from you in the future! :)
VoiceOfTime chapter 3 . 8/8/2011
I have been reading your stories for the last couple of days, and have been enjoying them immensely. I know I'm terrible at remembering to review, so I apologize for this being the first one you've gotten from me. I just wanted to say that the way you have Amanda explain the importance of the ritual to Spock rang very true for me. As a Christian who has a hard time explaining to friends who are atheists why her faith is so important to her, you're way of saying that just because it may not be factually true doesn't diminish it's importance in a way clarified what I have been trying to explain for years. So I just wanted to say thank you for that and for these stories. I am truly enjoying them, even if I forget to tell you that! :)
T'Soy chapter 12 . 8/5/2011
Well it’s done, and masterfully. The way you wove the character’s thoughts with the action/dialogue of the movie, let us see their POV’s and motivations was perfect. Your last 2 chapters seemed to explain what the movie did not. It completed the movie. It is what they would have done if time were not a concern.

I could site so many parts of this last chapter that moved me, but then I would go on and on. It was all perfect!

I have read some of the reviews of this chapter and noted that several have commented that “messing around” with brothers does not work and that Chris and Natalie are doomed to fail. Well I have a cousin, 8 months older than I am who just found out that his Father is his Uncle and his Uncle is his Father. My Aunt and Uncle were married for over 40 years. So it can work sometimes. Sure complicated my genealogy program!

It’s done, I sad about that, but “I’m still standing” as Nyota thought. As always I am looking forward to your next story, whatever it is it will be great! Get to work!

Thanks for your great story!
Sam chapter 12 . 8/5/2011
Somehow I missed that this was complete. What a bittersweet ending,but so raw and real. There is so much I enjoyed, but I think spocks reflections on his conversation with spock prime was very well done. As for future stories, I hope it wont be too long without seeing more from you. I really think a story taking place during the mission with spock and uhura bonded would be great. A mix of action, romance and a little humor maybe. Or a story where they spend some time on the vulcan colony and uhura learns more abou the culture and she and spock gain even more closness. Anyway wherever your creative mind goes ill be along for the ride and hope it will be sooner than later.
Firefly-class chapter 12 . 8/4/2011
great ending. everything ties back in with you earlier stories!
StillStacie chapter 12 . 8/4/2011
This was such a wonderful story . Can't wait to see what adventure you will take us on next .Great job.
sgtrekie chapter 12 . 8/3/2011
I must say I'm sorry to see this end. It's been great-thanks!
Linstock chapter 12 . 8/3/2011
I was conflicted ! There are so many wonderful quotable bits in this I felt like a kid at the beach surrounded by smooth stones…look at this one, want about this one its shiny, look at this one its stripy… so I draw attention to the ones that provoked a physical response.

“She's been away less than a week but the room already smells stale, as if no one has lived here for years. The thought makes her angry and she smacks her hand on the light sensor with so much force that her knuckles sting.” I can just see this, Nyota’s sudden anger that the space she and Gaila lived in for years can “forget” them so quickly. Anyone who has ever faced packing up after a loved one’s death will recognise Nyota’s feelings as she confronts this room.

I’m glad your Nyota is furious with Spock! I have read many stories, so excellent and moving too, where Nyota is totally understanding and forgiving of Spock. While this might be the case in part, I think she’d be furious as well.

“she willed herself to her quarters but found herself, like a character led astray in a fairy tale, at Spock's door instead,” this is beautiful, I love how it captures the ways our own actions (and utterances) can be a surprise to us. It also gives a softly surreal feel to her actions.

“that their headlong rush to each other was more a retreat from sorrow than a measure of their passion.” *Sniffle* so true…

So much to love in this chapter… Nyota’s refusal to consider a future and her realisation of being “broken”. Then the sequence where Nyota reflects on Spock being more constrained that her, realising that he is showing his love by not asking her to go with him flowed by the insight that her pain is not extraordinary… so many are suffering.

“The light is almost startling and she stands for a moment on the steps of the hospital, blinking, blind, trying to see what lies ahead.” Beautiful how this sentence works on two levels at once…

And again with the beautiful description…Sarek’s grief… “Through their bond Spock feels an undercurrent of grief—like listening to a swollen river hidden by a screen of trees.” Spock’s recognition of his anger and his helpless inability to change the cause before him, is poignant and frustrating. Thank goodness we know what he decides in the end.

Of course the section on Natalie and Pike is as tense and brittle as ever, but this time they are moving toward each other. I do like that you don’t gloss over the hard bits or make this sound like an easy situation. True love may or may not prevail and even if it does there can be a cost.

I read this with mixed feelings…because I do when a wonderful story ends. I want to read the end and want it not to end in about even measure.

On a purely selfish level I’d love a coda to this, Spock and Uhura’s reunion *pouts*. It seems to me that , while she is very happy that he is there it would also take a while to adjust to the fact that he was prepared to leave her. I want to jump him and slap him in about equal measure (maybe simultaneously?). Also they need to establish just what this relationship is. I am really just trying to make it sound interesting ‘cause I want some Spock/Uhura goodness in my life *second pout in the one paragraph*.
Anon chapter 12 . 8/2/2011
What a lovely story... I’m so sad and pleased to see it end so thoughtfully.
Botsey chapter 12 . 8/2/2011
Everything is resolved. Spock will report to the Enterprise, much to Nyota's relief. Pike and Natalie, start out on a life together and both couples will 'boldly go..."

Thank you for the parallels that kept cropping up throughout this narrative. The last one-the certainty of temporarily hurting a family member. But in the end, there are exception to addressing 'the needs of the many,' sometimes you must address your own needs. Thankfully these two strong males do just that.

As usual, THANK YOU.

Botsey
Nyotarules chapter 12 . 8/2/2011
Well Natalie got her man in the end but will they last - I doubt it, guilt alone can break a relationship, Eric and Chris will always be brothers but estranged...Natalie's choices really screwed things up.

(I tried to like her but she came across as trouble from the start, never had much sympathy for women messing around with brothers). Still have doubts about their relationship having any depth past curiousity.

Uhura loses her man in the end ...but does she really? The irony is the Vulcan/Terran couple will make it, the Terran couple...probably will not.

Great story tho, looking forward to reading many more.

(Perhaps another S/U fic after their Terran wedding and a mention whether P/N are still together..or could you add an epilogue to this one?)
325 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 .. Last Next »