Reviews for Best of a Bad Lot
grossasstoenails chapter 14 . 6/12/2011
summer semester?
aragonite chapter 13 . 6/7/2011
I do so love this series.

I love it very much.
LaBelleEsprit chapter 12 . 6/2/2011
Bonjour~

I just read all of your chapters of this, and I must say it's wonderful! I love the fact that you're exploring Lestrade's early life, and you've done a great job of making it realistic and engaging! It seems that you know a lot about this setting.

The fact that it's from a child's point of view adds an extra dimension to it, and it's written very believably (although he appears to be a somewhat precocious child [: ).

I love that you haven't belittled Lestrade's own abilities of detection (as some others are wont to do) and kept him intelligent (though not on par with the great Holmes himself).

Excellent work! I can't wait for the next chapter!

~La Belle Esprit
Garonne chapter 12 . 5/31/2011
Hmm, I wonder what Jamie is up to, looking for a quiet place... Something underhand I'm sure! Or is he still involved with the rebels...?

Usually I avoid stories with original characters like the plague, but yours are really well drawn. None of them are one-dimensional - everytime I think I know one of them, they do something to surprise me! The dad is not just a brute, but a much more complex individual. The mother is not just a long-suffering, one-dimensional figure, but a woman with a will of her own. Miss Jackson certainly knows her own mind too!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next.
Garonne chapter 10 . 5/31/2011
:-) We can see already that Lestrade is going to turn out to be a detective (and a good one, despite the sarcasm he suffers later from Sherlock Holmes!)

p.s. is Constable Byrne going to figure again in the story? We haven't seem him in a while. I hope so, I liked his character!
To-AntigoneEvenstar chapter 12 . 5/31/2011
I'm really enjoying your story. The humour in it is great, and the characters seem real, not just random OC's. Keep up the good work, and great chapter.
Revriley chapter 9 . 5/19/2011
Is it bad that I find myself liking Jamie? Obviously the whiskey wasn't a good idea, but it looks like he really does care about Lestrade.

...I'm a terrible person.
Garonne chapter 5 . 5/17/2011
"She maintained that nine plus nine made eighteen. I knew it was a bob and tanner. I was equally certain that if the first train was traveling at ten miles per hour and the second at twenty, the most likely result was a needless tragedy."

I love this line. It tells us so much about Lestrade, as well as making me laugh out loud (although it is pretty black humour...)
Garonne chapter 8 . 5/17/2011
Wow, this is dark! But it's very well written indeed. I look forward to reading the rest.
Garonne chapter 3 . 5/7/2011
I'm really enjoying this. There are so many little details that bring the story to life, like the drunks who walk into the wrong house, or Lestrade not knowing what an elephant looks like.
nomdeplume30 chapter 6 . 4/26/2011
I like how you're developing this and not rushing into anything. You've got me well and truly hooked. Looking forward to the next chapter!
BookwormExtraordinary chapter 5 . 4/22/2011
This is a very well written story. I love how Lestrade's character is slowly unfolding. It's like one of those stories you just can't put down!
nomdeplume30 chapter 5 . 4/22/2011
So very, very interested in where this is going! I found myself getting rather tense as this chapter went along. Looking forward to the next update!
nomdeplume30 chapter 4 . 4/20/2011
Heartbreaking. :( I hope he's wrong, too. But evidence is evidence.
Capt-Facepalm chapter 3 . 4/19/2011
"That would be a nice surprise for Jesus," Byrne observed dryly."

This line is a keeper! Thanks for another great chapter.