Reviews for Let Me Play Among the Stars
MyRandomName chapter 1 . 5/26/2013
It has been a over a year since I first read this story and in that time I have read many stories about Luna and Celestia's history, but this is still one of my favourites. Thank you for writing it.
bringonthespam chapter 1 . 5/27/2012
A very inventive twist on the origins of Nightmare Moon, even after a whole YEAR this story's been out! That scene at the party with all of the ponies talking to Luna made me cringe when they casually brushed off her question with indifference toward the night.

The part that stood out the most to me, though, was how you set up the beginning with there only being a daytime, because the moon didn't exist yet. Not to mention that instead of following a cyclical path, Celestia just pushed the sun over wherever someone needed it. Most stories on here just automatically assume that the sun and moon co-existed from the first moment of time. So, it was fascinating to see it from this perspective.

FABULOUS! Also on the edge of my seat to read other works of yours, whenever you get the chance.
jman377355 chapter 1 . 12/19/2011
Probably the best origin story I've read. Loved it. Really felt connected to Luna.
Specter Von Baren chapter 1 . 8/26/2011
Beautiful. It is a story that doesn't go into the long details of others, we don't see war nor complicated politics. But it feels so much better that way, you made the story simple but well done, the pacing is very good, there wasn't any abrupt change where Luna just suddenly became resentful, it happened slowly and with reason. She changed from someone that shied away from attention to one that desired it above anything else so fluidly. My only regret with this is that I wish we could have seen things from Celestia's view after Luna was sealed in the moon. Bravo.

signed

Specter
Endam chapter 1 . 8/9/2011
I like!
Ringcaat chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
REVIEWER'S NOTE:

The magic of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has consumed my life in recent months and at last it's time for me to give back. I've just started writing fan fiction of my own, but first, I've resolved to write reviews! I started off with a top ten list (which may not include stories begun after June 30th, 2011), and now I'm adding a bunch of Honorable Mentions. :-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Let Me Play Among the Stars

This piece is exceptional among histories of Celestia and Luna in that it treats the story of the sky's development as almost one as the same as Luna's story of coming of age. The early part is eerily like a person's early memories, with the world that was always as it is now, the endless reach of one's environs, the mysteriousness of the multitudes of adults who come and go. The constancy of the ball is a nice touch. Really, the way the moon's inception is handled is as elegant as any fable. I also like the way that Celestia, too, seems simpler then, as if the very idea of finding a solution for a problem is refreshing and new.

Then the story turns dark. We've seen here that the notion of nighttime mirrors those hours when Celestia sleeps. It's not, as in other stories, that she has a responsibility to rise in time for day; it's that the day is defined by her (supremely regular) waking hours. That means that is essence, all of Equestria is meant to sleep when she sleeps-creating the day is a good act, but also one of appropriation, because it's meant to dictate the circadian rhythm of the world. The spookiness of this is not immediately apparent, and what a heartwarming scene is the creation of the night! But when the ponies at the party fail to recognize Luna's achievements, it comes out-this is not a symmetrical relationship after all.

There's also the fact that, since Luna and Celestia used to be awake together but were forced into different schedules, they drift apart as a consequence of Luna taking up her mantle. This reflects the bitterness of adolescents becoming adults and no longer having time for the people and activities they loved.

The part about Nightmare Moon and her battle with Celestia is a bit drawn out, especially since it's been treated on with more pathos elsewhere. This story might have been better ended just as Nightmare Moon was coming into being.

But the ending, with Celestia sensing that the dreams have returned and telling Luna she'll love her always no matter what, is perfectly simple and touching...an article of faith that effectively ends this primordial tale.
Sailor Stella chapter 1 . 6/26/2011
This was a really cute story. I almost cried at the end. Its sooo sweet.
Last Haven chapter 1 . 5/23/2011
This was a wonderful story and I enjoyed every moment of it. It rang true with the characters and themes of the show and felt practically canon. Luna's descent into Nightmare Moon felt logical and understandable without villianizing Celestia. The characters felt well rounded which is sometimes hard to find.

One thing: "Everywhere Luna few she found houses and ..." I think you meant, "Everywhere Luna flew". It confused for a moment.

Loved this-I'm totally putting it into my Favorites list.
Greki chapter 1 . 5/11/2011
I felt that horrible pressure of loneliness all the while during build up from Luna to Nightmare Moon but when the final battle happened I was still reeling from those feelings and instead of actually feeling rush-ness, anger and regret during the action scene (as would be feeling Nightmare Moon), it felt as if I was seeing a new different story while thinking of the previous story.

Likewise, I didn't feel real regret at the last scene. and I felt that Celestia should have been more attentive to Luna's loneliness. That last scene felt as if the only thing that happened during pre-imprison was Nightmare Moon's confrontation. It gave the impression that they thought Nightmare Moon happened out of a mere petty whim instead of true loneliness and depression. Nightmare Moon's acts were indeed inexcusable... but their origins were several months more profound than just one night. If that last sentence makes sense.

Anyway, overall I have to say I truly loved this story. A fantastic piece of work, indeed.
Chris chapter 1 . 4/17/2011
Nicely done!

Going into a little more detail about Luna in the beginning would have been helpful. Like telling the reader that Luna did not have a cutie mark yet.

The ending was very strong, I would have liked to have just a little more at the end, when Luna wakes up and goes to see her sister.

I did love how Luna now has a staff that stays with her over night.

I have an idea for a sequel, if you would like to use it. Have Luna wrestling with an inner guilt over becoming NMM, and she is so apologetic that it becomes a problem.

Somehow, either by Celestia's magic or some other power, Nightmare Moon comes out of Luna's body, and for a time they are two separate ponies.

But NMM is sorry for what she had done, and she continually apologizes to Luna. Luna begins to see how she had been behaving with her guilt, and how annoying it must have seemed.

Luna forgives NMM, and in effect forgives herself.

Luna and NMM then rejoin, but Luna is now no longer 'little' Luna, she is big like her sister, beautiful, and dark like the night sky.

If you would like to use this idea, shoot me an e-mail so I can read it? :)
Aya Rose chapter 1 . 4/16/2011
You put together a fine story, with a completely relatable Nightmare.

I'd complain because the timeline feels rushed, but part of that feels like dream logic. So I just want to see what else you do too.
Ledah chapter 1 . 4/15/2011
Just two reviews o.o, it was a amazing and well crafted fic, i could almost see the scenes on this, i would remove the ending but well i guess some others might like like it job job maybe i'll make a scene from this if i can decide what scene XD
Necrofuckup chapter 1 . 4/15/2011
This was a great fic! Well written, interesting and despite knowing the ending it was definitely worth it. Luna's progression to Nightmare Moon was crafted believably, I loved it.
Sciz chapter 1 . 4/14/2011
Lovely. Certainly the best "rise and fall of Luna" fic I've run across to date, and that isn't exactly uncharted territory.