Reviews for Bringing Out the Blue
bookygurl3400 chapter 26 . 8/30
I binged this, it ends with a cliffhanger, and it hadn't been updated in years! Just my luck!

All things considered, though, this story is awesome! Do you plan on continuing it at any point, even if just to give a summary of what would happen?

Regardless of what you decide, love this, love you, have a nice day!
Quacked Lurker chapter 26 . 8/18
Oh, that's an ominious cliffhanger.

Fits Katara's personality - she's a healer, and (good ones) doesn't want to admit she can't do anything about old injuries until she's tried and failed.
Plus she did hear him one night - so, to her thinking, Blue can, just refuses not to. Mental trauma combined with the initial prognosis.

So, Toph managed to elude the watchers, but only by inflicting massive property damage. Couldn't be helped - Earth Rumble Champion isn't terribly concerned about things when lives (and reputation) are in danger.
Freedom is very important. Freedom to choose, freedom to think, freedom to be one's self.

Suki captured by Azula's forces - things had to come to a head somewhere between three very strong personalities. Too bad the obvious winner is the psychotic one. At least its just threats, not physical torture. Yet the emotional game can be a lot harder to play.

Iroh/Mushi's plan is coming along great! Become an up-and-coming tea-maker to reach who he needs to.
Zuko's teenage-behavior might be derailing the plan, but only slightly.

Aang and Jet - one looking for his bison (happily distracted by caring for other animals) the other captured, contained, and undergoing mind wiping.
Yeah, that's why Aang can't find him. Jet is no longer himself.
Quacked Lurker chapter 23 . 8/18
Nice.
Zuko really has a thick, thick head. His skull almost needed THE Blind Bandit to get important info inside.
Sokka's constant treating-him-as-a-friend broke stronghold barriers.
Glad Zuko's figured out what the Gang has known for a while: his very-important-father is neglectfully-abusive. (Or abusively-neglectful - take your pick).
Sure, he's been able to lie to himself by saying 'Father has always been busy taking care of the Fire-Nation' but what kind of parent won't take time out of their day to check on his kids? Sokka and Ktara's dad did, constantly.

Wait, I take it back.
It did take Toph's intervention for things to come to a head.
Granted, it seemed very spur-of-the-moment (from Blue's POV) that Sokka chooses NOW to make certain facts known. Helps that they all - even Aang, though he kind of hid in the background once he learned - accept Blue-for-what he is, instead of automatically cringing in fear like everyone else.
Part of their lack-of-authomatic hate/distrust: they don't have the ingrained history of deadly war. Stories, yes; personal experience, yes (everyone mentions the waterbender's mother died in the Fire-Raid, and the fact they are the ONLY two children of their peer-age in the south Pole), but they ... well, it could also be due to the fact they KNOW Blue.
Blue was the one who insisted Aang could PUT OUT Fires! That was good - if denying the enemy fires/protecting people they encounter helps Aang come to terms with his insistence on NOT LEARNING FIRE-BENDING, why not?
Toph too - sure, he's pampered, but as a nobility's child (wealthy-merchant's daughter, to be specific), she's got more responsibilities than the average kid her age. Sheltered from the horrors of the world too ... least, as much as the Bio-Feng's could manage before earthbender stubbornness intervened.
Besides she KNOWS WHO is behind the mask. In her shoes, smirking at the concessions "blue" is giving is more amusing than revealing every detail.

I suspect that when/if Zuko decides protecting his secret identity is no longer feasible/not worth the effort, the gang's reactions will change.
Or maybe not.
All depends on how much Sokka continues to suspect - and the picture of the family Katara builds.
Fragile tower-of-paper-blocks/cards will come crashing down if they ever put enough clues together to realize the ONLY Fire-Nation family that fits all the little clues happens to be THE ROYAL FAMILY ... then again, even Toph didn't know details of the established nation, just the local colonies. (But she may or may not drop more clues as the situation warrants, in her drama-filled-teenage-opinion).
Quacked Lurker chapter 16 . 8/18
Zuko, part of an organized resistant network?
It does fit with what they KNOW about Blue (Lee), but its funny that Sokka got it so wrong ... and yet so right.
Right about there being a network. Right about Blue having contacts. Wrong about it being Blue's contacts that are part of the network.

It's uncle Iroh's White Lotus network/contacts ... well, it could be, seeing as that's one way Uncle stays ahead with what's going on, where.
Possibly that's also how the retired-General-of-the-West found a few location-suggestions for sites to check out for Avatar presence/past.
But Resistance? Organized against the Fire-nation? Perhaps - but not the main purpose.

Loving this story.
Toph is an excellent character to add - seeing how we're following the general outline of the Avatar cartoon (glossing over the episodes that don't change much/at all if Blue's involved in a fight/watching from afar), its very fitting that when Toph joins the crew, Sokka finds someone to share his suspicions/observations with.
Katara's idea obviously has merit ... and while some of the details are right, her conclusions are not accurate - what with the wrong extrapolation due to cultural differences and important information withheld. Then again, Zuko is right: if he had shared his identity at the start, they'd not have this opportunity to get to know each other.
jadeblackheart4 chapter 26 . 8/14
Aaaaaaaaah!
I absolutely ADORE this!
This is exactly what I had been looking for.
Thank you SO Much! For writing this! I can't wait for the next chapters And to see how the rest of this plays out!
Raeolu chapter 26 . 8/5
This is one of the best thought through fics I’ve read. The worldbuilding and character development are just breathtaking. So much effort has been put into this, and it pays off tenfold. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this and share it with us!
Rocket Axxonu chapter 26 . 7/30
This is such a unique idea and so well executed, I had a ton of fun reading this story. (I originally found this through aileri's web comic on deviantArt, I loved the art there and was surprised by how interestingly the concept played out, and by how in-character everyone's responses to “Blue” seemed to be.)

What I love most about this is the way “Blue” becomes a character of his own, with a believable history that makes sense, and really has a role in the group that feels legitimately like many one-off characters who might make an appearance or two in the season one episodes. And again, I love how in-character everyone's responses are to him—Katara, friendly and also wanting to be respectful of his privacy, Aang seeing him immediately as a trustworthy friend, Sokka initially suspicious, but also fairly quick to relax when Blue passes his tests. And of course, the moment much later on when it's revealed Toph has figured out Zuko's secret—that moment and the subsequent conversation were just so good, and it completely makes sense she's more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt than the rest of the gaang would be, given that she doesn't have the same history with him.

Also very much enjoyed Zuko's internal musings as he tried to make sense of his own experiences in the world in contrast to what he'd been taught all his life throughout, they all felt very true to character, and I liked seeing him able to find an ally in Mai.

Zuko's interaction with Azula was one of my favorite parts—Zuko's initial naïve view of situation (believing he could find a way to get Azula to help him), but realizing in the end that Azula is entirely in control of the situation, and only intends to get what she wants without giving him anything in return, felt so true to character for them both, and it's always been interesting to me how that relationship relates to his relationship with his father, in that Azula's ruthless, selfish disregard for him is a reflection of Ozai's, but Zuko can't help but want to see his father as doing what he does as “right,” or at least for a noble purpose.

As we get further into the story, it's been interesting to see the way Zuko's thinking evolves, and he's really able to question his father's actions, even if he feels guilty about it.

Anyway, have really enjoyed this story, and even if you haven't updated in a long time, I'll be watching to see if you continue. (And if the webcomic continues—I was happy to see there were some new pages gone up since the first time I saw the comic.) Hope your health situation has improved, good luck on any future projects!
Fan chapter 26 . 7/30
I’m so bummed this is where it ends. I really wanted to see the drill battle and how the team reacts to finding out Blue is Zuko. Sigh. I really loved this fanfiction. Amazing work, great twists on the plot, and I especiallly loved how intertwined both the Blue and Zuko parts are.
Robin chapter 26 . 7/28
I hope you're doing better. Even if you never update this story again, you've given the fandom such a gift with this beautifully crafted, heart-wrenching tale. Thank you for all the time and effort you have sunk into this. I wish you every happiness.
conquerorofheaven1 chapter 26 . 7/20
I love the last part of this chapter. It really emphasizes the similarities between Toph and Zuko, something which I think goes overlooked in a lot of other stories. That part where they're arguing about ancestry showcases their upbringings, and the fact that they both have sensory abilities makes them a great team. As much as I like it, I don't think enough people explore the relationship between Toph and Zuko. They're born and bred city folk, whereas the rest of Team Avatar tends to come across as uneducated yokels whenever they enter a large city.

After a really long time of stopping and starting, I finally managed this fic, and I have to say it's one of my favorites. It's also probably one of the only ones that really explores the concept of Zuko as the Blue Spirit, which is definitely one of my favorite aspects of his character. It's been 3 years since the last update, so I have to assume that this has been abandoned, but I just wanted to tell you that
OH NO
i spent way too long reading this and i love it dearly oh man
This AU is so great on so many levels
The secret identity hininks are killing me and the different narrative threads that are just ever so slightly canon divergent are so great
i love this so much thank you for writing it
oh man i just stumbled across this and I LOVE IT
lauren.kennedy.794 chapter 26 . 6/17
don't cut me off like this!
hpark7310 chapter 26 . 6/8
god i reread this over the course of a couple of days and can i just say this remains my favorite atla fanfiction after a whole ass year ? what a legend.
Shavaineth chapter 26 . 5/16
I adore the characterizations and the interactions with poor Zhukov trying to figure out what he's doing. Really hoping you will be coming back to this soon. I would love to see how things play out when Zhukov finally does get caught out e rest of the group.
1,189 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »