Reviews for Into the Fire
Doctor pie chapter 32 . 9/14/2012
Personally i think i'd like to see nick romance femshep, liara and tali have both been done to death at this point and it would be more interesting of a social situation then sticking with liara. Anyways those are just my thoughts nice work with the chapter and good luck with school!
Archer83 chapter 33 . 9/16/2012
Wow, thanks for updating this so quickly! I'm not completely sure, but I think you just set a record for getting the next chapter out in no time flat!

It's amazing how different everything already is, and all from one simple change. Shepard's new initial reaction to seeing Ethan/Nick is obviously going to have a massive effect on the course of this story.

I was very surprised that Ethan/Nick was able to figure out who he truly had feelings for so quickly and can't help feeling a little sorry for Liara. But, you actually made a really clear case as to why he would have stronger feelings for Marie. Liara False memories from a simulated relationship / Marie New, but very real, memories of a romance that actually happened.

So as a loyal reader I'm officially back to square one, not knowing what the hell you possibly going to do next! To be honest, I liked some of the ideas in your 'simulated story'. I hope, along with whatever new wonderful ideas you think of, that at least some of them might have a basis in fact in this new world Ethan/Nick finds himself in.

After all... you introduced the idea of Ethan after Nick was in the 'simulated' world, so some other parts of it may be true-ish... Since I'm starting to get a headache from thinking too much about the 'wheels within wheels' aspect of this story, I'll just say this was an excellent chapter and I can't wait for more!
TheIdiocyWizard chapter 1 . 9/16/2012
This is a super-very-awesomely-extremly interesting concept, and I like it so far. It's nice to read things that are unique.
Nick terakidan chapter 33 . 9/16/2012
. .troll, do you know that... Yet... I LOVED the new beginning, it creates new possibilities... Just don't fuck this up like in the original version.
kogouma chapter 33 . 9/16/2012
update soon!
Phalanx213 chapter 32 . 9/16/2012
Dafuq? really
Reikson chapter 32 . 9/15/2012
A retcon? Blatant, yet artfully so.

I approve.
One Over Infinity chapter 32 . 9/15/2012
You just... but... then that... how... but then... GAH!

*mumbles incoherently*

Okay... I will say this... I love your stories, but I think you just turned my brain into swiss cheese. I mean, really? Cancelling out 2/3 or more of the story material as having happened in a vision provided by a prothean beacon!? GAH! It's certainly something I've never seen anyone have the guts to do before, but to be honest, I'm not sure wether to love you or hate you for it...

So... Assuming that you're not just playing with Nick and making it so that his mind is being fractured by the joint consciousness of the reaper/penance, and that this actually IS happening, let's see where this leaves us...

Well, first off, this is going to make things very... awkward, between Nick, Liara, and Shepard now. I mean, when you consider that the romance with Liara supposedly never actually happened, whereas the one with Shepard did; however, the romance with Liara was a fragment generated by Nick's mind/the melding of Nick and Ethan's minds, and can be assumed to be a more intact imprint than the romance with Shepard that came strictly from Ethan. So Nick, while having strong memories of Liara, may not necessarily end up pairing up with Liara, due to the new/old conflicting memories of his/Ethan's relationship with Shepard.

So essentially, it's a whole new ball game in the relationship department. Who knows, maybe he'll romance Tali, just to try and get away from the drama of it all :P (*cue EDI; that was a joke*)

On the other hand, this helps to pull the story back into line, at least somewhat. It reduces the halo, tron, and other franchise influences on the story to being random things that his and Ethan's minds threw together when they collided. That neatens up the story and pulls it back into being strictly Mass Effect... for now.

This should also serve to pull back nick from being super-commander-of-everything, as he was on his way to becoming, and perhaps give him a few new issues to keep him further away from the realm of potential mary-sues. (I don't know the male gendered term) I mean, there's going to be a lot for him to sort out now. He's going to have to compete with being two different people, and yet with not being either of them at all. He won't be the same Ethan Barrow that Shepard remembers, and due to his 'new' memories of Liara, he could well lose the bulk of his romantic interest in her; however, he will also be different from the Nicholas Perry whom his friends have come to know and respect.
This effect of being caught between worlds could actually help to emotionally distance himself from both of them, if you decide to play it that way. There are actually a few interesting variants that spring up from this, which I'm particularly fond of (his friends can't trust him anymore, and being around shepard is awkward, so as soon as ME1 is done he runs off and starts an adventure of his own), or the more team-friendly variants where he finds a balance between his two selves, and manages to accept the person that he has become; combined, inevitably, with his friends and Shepard coming to accept that person too.

This could also serve to screw with his reactions to people that he encounters along the way. After all, if everything after the point at which he melded with the beacon was just a figment of his imagination/the blending of his and Ethan's minds, then it would make sense for a lot of the details he remembers from his time as Nick to be severely screwed up. They don't even have to be big things... Like, Aria's guard (was it Gavorn? I don't remember...) might not be gay, and therefore not end up flirting with Ian, Ever. Aria's daughter could be completely different, both in appearance and personality; things like that can be fiddled around with to make moderate-level changes to the story, and to completely mess with Nick's head.

Then there are other types of things that can be switched up; Tali could be completely uninterested in both Art and Brendan; Joc could end up with a different role besides being Joker's co-pilot; Kaiden and Ashley could either get together, or stay as distant and professional towards each other as they were in ME1 (aka, not interacting outside of missions :P). There are oodles of inter-personal details that you can fiddle around with, and I for one, am hoping that you'll throw at least a few of the pieces around, just so that we end up with an interesting mix-up that isn't a carbon clone of last time.

Of course, the main goal, as always, is to continue writing, and to have fun doing so. After all, if you don't like the way that your story is heading, you can always make the entire story moot by making all of the details and mind-trips part of some crazy inter-universal travel that happens when Nick gets sucked into Mass Effect; which means that the part where Liara crashes into his room is the point at which THAT mind-trip would have started (as Liara would never end up in our reality in that variant; and Nick's mind would be pulled into a pretzel . mmmm... pretzels...)

Anyways, I shall cease my rambling, and let my brain run of to Costa Rica, where it'll set use a hidden mass accellerator to launch giant paintballs at the moon... I mean... Go to sleep... Umm... Yeah.

1/x
Partsu chapter 32 . 9/15/2012
You are officially messing with us...
"Bale626, the biggest troll on !"
Kel'Zorah vas nar Rannoch chapter 32 . 9/15/2012
Okay...I am definitly wondering where your taking this. It reads well and more chaosmore fun :)
kogouma chapter 32 . 9/15/2012
so it was one of those 'It looks
like it happened but it actually
didn't since it was a dream/vision'
well that was somewhat
i like where its
going and i love this story.
keep it up and update soon!
Archer83 chapter 32 . 9/15/2012
Oh Christ... Another plot twiiist of Empire / Shyamalanian quality!

You know all the other mind blowing plot twists you've had in this story bale? I could combine all of them together into a big ball of, 'My head hurts... and my nose is bleeding... what the hell just happened?!', and it still wouldn't be comparable to this one giant mind fuck you just pulled off. Leave it to you to use the ultimate plot twist... the 'Stewie Griffin'!

I have say, while this whole chapter was a great read, my favorite part had to be the conversation between Ethan and Nick: (Paraphrasing here for humor)

Nick: We have to save the time line at all costs!

Ethan: Hell no! Dude, seriously you'll understand what a bad fucking idea that is when you wake up.
Wos chapter 32 . 9/15/2012
hehe, was a nice twist to the story ;).

And proberly gives you a new start on the story

going to hold critic or praise for future chapters before i pass my vote.

Have a good day

wos
TheGuard99 chapter 32 . 9/15/2012
What? Just... What?
kogouma chapter 29 . 9/15/2012
D'awww,Wrex and Nyreena.
that's actually pretty cute xD
568 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »