Reviews for Hogwarts 1940
aturnofthepage chapter 20 . 5/3
So I finished Hogwarts 1835 and meant to go on to On Being Mrs. Malfoy but got distracted by this title and decided to read this first. Anyways this story was another wonderful world building adventure with interesting characters. I think you've shown more of the character growth in this one, which makes sense considering the very grim times and unusual circumstances everyone found themselves in. I loved the jazz band and was delighted to read how they evolved after school. I think you did a very god job of showing how entrenched prejudice can be in these institutions and how beneficial it is for those in power or those with connections. I would love to read more of your wizarding world even in the form of short stories but understand why you would want to write for a more demonstrative audience. Loved the story and thank you so much for sharing, you created such wonderful and three dimensional characters!
not a pug chapter 20 . 2/17
I just finished reading all three of your Hogwart's stories and they were fabulous. I loved seeing the families from the first two stories pop up in this one. Besides being populated with really well done characters the world building you did was amazing and made me even more curious about everyone. I think you did an absolutely amazing job with your work and although I understand why you haven't published more I really think the fandom has lost out. Thank you so much for these three works they were superb!
Guest chapter 19 . 5/4/2014
Very much enjoying the story, but - ouch! Children in 1960s England didn't call their mothers "Mom". (As far as I know, they still don't.) It would be "Mum", or, if younger, "Mummy". There was an instance in a previous chapter but I thought it was a typo.
I suppose it's one of those problems with a fictional world set in Britain, and a majority of North American fanwriters, but "Mom" (along with "semester", "block", "upperclassman", "fall", and a bunch of others) makes my suspended disbelief crash to the floor. Which, given that I'm enjoying the story, OCs and all, probably irritates me more than it deserves.
G Fawkes chapter 1 . 5/3/2014
OK, been saving this one for when I 'really' need a good read... and a lot have sucked (conjugated THAT verb, jr high kids... oops! Sorry) recently. So here I am, after holding "1835" up as the perfect fic, in all ways, and what writers everywhere should aspire to. There's stories I LIKE better, but not a single one in 'my' (500 plus, now) experience, that measures up to the 'writing', the little stuff... (yes I have been recently called a Grammar Nazi, so there's some irony to ME reading THIS story)
So... no pressure... just ready to read more from the author of my number 5 all time fic (which is really kind of weighted against you un-fairly, as "Brave New World" is 870K words, Harry Crow isn't complete yet at 700K plus, and Sirius v. Severus is 319 chapters or something(no word count, but it HAS to be 3 mil if it's anything), and I started reading it 12 years ago... the first fic I ever even heard of. Number four currently, is just the biggest lemon filled, lemon iced, lemon pound cake of a harem/smut fic no-one could ever hope to compete with, placing YOUR number 5 slot at the first of the 'average' length, what some might call 'normal' fics. (Woo Hoo!)
Glosswen chapter 16 . 1/14/2013
Nice story. However...in case you didn't know: the German plural of "Ritter" is "Ritter" not "Ritters".
RightMeow chapter 20 . 10/30/2012
I love this one too! I'd be happy to read more, if you wrote them :)
Chandagnac chapter 20 . 3/22/2012
I'm glad I gave this story a second chance and read it through to the end. Definitely worth it!

Hogwarts 1940 is an altogether more grim and disquieting story than the rather light-hearted Hogwarts 1835, overshadowed by the horrors of WW2 and the first footsteps of Voldemort's rise to power.

I found this story difficult to get into at first, but over time I came to care for many of the characters and I wanted their stories to continue. There were several that I thought were quite unlikeable, but I was still interested in them.

I'm impressed at how you've given Hogwarts and Hogsmeade real world context. The level of detail you've put into this story has given it a verisimilitude that I haven't often seen in fanfics. It felt *real* to me.

For me, the confrontation between Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald (and the aftermath of that) was a highlight of this story. Also, I thought that Hagrid's story was very well done; I felt genuine outrage when Professor Dippet blamed him for the Chamber of Secrets incident and expelled him even though the Aurors knew that he hadn't done it and Aragog wasn't responsible, what with Dippet's smug 'he's a half-breed, he must be to blame' attitude and his calling in favours from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement to declare the case closed. In my mind, that part of the story is Harry Potter canon- it fits so well.

Once again, I must congratulate you on a superbly-written story and I hope that my feedback has proved useful/encouraging/enlightening.
Chandagnac chapter 16 . 3/22/2012
I thought this was an excellent chapter. I like your version of Dumbledore and your version of Grindelwald is fascinating. It seemed right to me how he looked around at the devastation of war and decided that the world was ripe for wizarding rule... yeah, that was something I could see happening.

The Dawn Knights are interesting. I guess they're your creation? I found myself wanting to know more about them.
Chandagnac chapter 8 . 3/22/2012
Heh. I think it's amusing that this isn't even the first time I've seen an American seemingly outraged that the British spell it "defence".

(I used to play some Roleplaying games on a play-by-post basis. I had a weird argument with one of my (American) players after I called one of my games 'Defence of the Realm'.)
Olaf Roysson chapter 8 . 3/15/2012
When I read the name Honing I was hoping to meet Great-Grandma Honing, 118, at the shop. Oh well. I'm guessing Albert and Adrianna will end up together, their releationship somewhat resembles that of Charlie & Lizzy. Could still surprise me with them going with who they're attracted to: Adrianna and Daniel, Albert and Whatshername Honing.

The depth in which you tell us about the historical backround at the end of the chapters makes me wonder if you're trying to stuff as much as you can of your knowlege about the period into the story, or are you just being very thorough :). Anyways I like them.

I'm trying to learn to put more of my thoughts into the reviews :).
Mr. Wizard chapter 19 . 12/19/2011
Very skillful melding of canon into your story. As always, your ear for how the English speak holds true. Enjoyable chapter.
A Markov chapter 20 . 12/6/2011
I finally made some time to sit down and read this. I’m glad that I did because it was both enjoyable and educational. You deftly wove the historical events and their implications on the lives of the common man, (and the uncommon man for that matter) into a fairly gripping narrative. Your original characters are fully fleshed and believable and you manipulated the history well enough that it all seemed to fit seamlessly into Rowling’s universe. The narrative, overall, filled in the voids and made some interesting and plausible backstories for the characters we’ve all come to know and love in the HP books.

But on some levels it just isn’t successful. To start with, this read less like a story and more like a historical travelogue. After reading it all the way through, I’m not sure if you were more interested in telling your own story or pointing out all the faults in Rowling’s. I’ve said many times that I think your strongest aspect as writer is in your dialogue but throughout this work you seldom went to it. Also, I really didn’t find a focus to hold onto. There was so much happening to so many different people that I never really knew where to look. At the end, well… There wasn’t any triumph or tragedy that I really shared. It was all a little antiseptic and removed.

In 1835, you created a complex world around Elizabeth and drew me all the way into it. Here, you’ve put out a bunch of history in an interesting but, ultimately, not wholly engaging manner. On some level I feel like I’m part of the problem with it. I worry that I wasn’t offering enough encouragement for you to feel like this endeavor was worth your time and effort. There were several parts where I thought you had either ommited content for the sake of fitting into your "even word count" obsession or you just weren't inspired enough to fully develop it.

You're the most talented writer I follow here, and are one of my favorite writers. (not favorite "fanfiction writers," favorite writers.) I’m looking forward to the day when you write your own completely original story for profit instead of reviews.

Alex.
Mr. Wizard chapter 18 . 12/2/2011
Finished this three days ago, but have only now had time to review.

Wonderfu job with the aftermath. Great inclusion of historical detail, while giving us fun with your characters. The feel reminds me of Hope and Glory.
Mr. Wizard chapter 17 . 11/21/2011
Ah, Tom is so very, very clever. One can see how he did so well in the coming years.

Some cute romantic goings on here. As always, loved the dialog.
scherre chapter 20 . 11/13/2011
I really enjoyed this story as well as the 1835 one. You did a great job of making original stories that still had that touch of familiarity to made it feel like a real part of the HPverse. I hope you might write more HP stories one day! :)