Reviews for The War Of Light And Shadow
I loved reading every chapter of this story. Managed not to cry at Legolas' death until he called Aragorn son. Then I cried. Excellent story.
illogicalstarz chapter 83 . 1/1
This story took my forever to get to. I usually go hunting for stories and then organize them by chapters and read in bulk. This having a large number of chapters was saved till the end and even when I got to it I almost bypassed it. Thank heavens I didnt.
Every word was perfection. It was unique and magical and whenever I wasnt reading it I was thinking about it. I felt so connected to the characters as they grew not only in age but in character. The changed beautifully and no one was this character of perfection writers sometimes make them. The ever stoic Legolas had his many faults and Aragon wasnt the perfect warrior unfazed by all.
Speaking of Legolas... I almost dont know what to say. His death was unexpected and yet disturbingly beautiful. With tears streaming down my face I almost closed the page thinking the story was over. How could it continue without him. His final words were perfect and the length and everything was just amazing.
Now Sold into Ruin is next on my list and with how beautiful yet depressing this was I cant wait to read it. Keep up the good work.
silverhorseshoe02 chapter 72 . 12/15/2013
i was crying. you are a great writer, all you need is insparation and you will be a bestselling authour.
Mallan chapter 83 . 11/18/2013
I found this story about a year ago and read the first chapters. By some reason, I didn't have tme to finish it, and I had to abandon it. Everyday life takes its fair share of one's time, and I've not been here for quite a while.
Never really forgot about those first chapters though, but since I had absolutly no idea of how to find this story again, I couldn't finish reading it. By pure luck I found it a few days ago. And I have to say - I'm really happy I did. What an amazing, brilliant and fantastic story! Thank you so much for writing this. What a joy to read for those of us who like stories with a lot of context, emotions and twists. Well-written, a little darker stories but with a lot of beauty to them are so hard to come by it seems.
So again - thank you!
Iroh the Great chapter 83 . 7/15/2013
Awesome, I enjoyed this story a lot and it is really a good one. not many grammar mistakes or spelling. the wording and all that is amazing. this guy makes you really feel for this book and it was fun to read this long awesome story
Cynogriffon chapter 83 . 7/11/2013
HOW DARE YOU KILL LEGOLAS! Sorry, it really was a great story. It took forever to read though.
RemyMcKwakker chapter 83 . 6/18/2013
I am speechless.

I've been reading this story right from the beginning. I'll admit, at first, I was reluctant, thanks to the number of chapters and the fact that my A-levels had just started. Yet here I am, three weeks later, and I swear I've never read a better story. This is simply brilliant.

I love how you took the characters and turned them into something else entirely, and I love just how original this is. The amount of detail and care you put into every paragraph is clearly visible, and it serves to greatly enhance the characters, the settings and the plot itself. The length of the chapters in this case is an asset and not a detriment, and very few people can pull them off.

That being said, I also particularly enjoyed the character development shown in this story. From ice-cold Legolas to him caring from Aragorn, who transforms from a scared little boy to the great King Elessar. It is truly marvelous how brilliantly you've pulled it off - not many writers can do that. I also loved how you brought all the different characters from the book together, as well as some of your own, and made them work so wonderfully by giving them backstories, developing their personalities and showing how they fit into the grand scheme of things.

I liked how this story isn't all fluff and optimism and cuteness and cuddles. Because real life and stories of darkness and war and good vs evil are never like that. Sacrifices have to be made, lives are lost and people change, and I like how you didn't shy away from that. In that light, and in light of everything Legolas went through in Mirkwood, his interaction with Aragorn was very realistic, plus the way you depicted him as being rather weary of life. It is extremely different from the cheerful, lively and hopeful Legolas from the books and movies, but it is believable and lovable just for that.

Speaking of Legolas - that death scene. It was so wonderfully done it deserves a paragraph to itself. I love how you built it up and didn't sugarcoat it, and I absolutely love that you had the guts to go through with it. Many writers, including perhaps myself, would have balked at the idea of actually killing off one of the central characters, but you didn't and it's absolutely commendable. The way you wrote it was heartbreaking, and believe me I think it's messed with me so badly I really couldn't function. The goodbyes and everyone's ambivalence was well-done; his last words to Aragorn were absolutely haunting and I'm pretty sure something inside me died right then, along with Legolas. I kept expecting some miracle would occur and he'd come back, but it didn't happen, and while it made me sad, I'm also glad it stayed that way. Does that make sense?

Life isn't always rainbows and butterflies, and Legolas' death proved it.

Also - your battle scenes. They are so amazingly done, so fast-paced and thrilling that it actually felt like I was there watching it all happen. Action is something that is hard to write well, but you've pulled it off so brilliantly that I was left reeling. Great work on that - just the battle scenes on their own should earn you a standing ovation for wonderful writing.

Finally, it's great that all the loose ends were tied up and everything was relatively happy. True, Aragorn is never going to be the same without Legolas, but loss is a part of life and you depicted that very well. All in all, great work on this, and by now I'm running out of words to praise this.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

-Peace x
pieconme chapter 83 . 6/13/2013
Thank you for finishing this story. What a wonderful journey. Can't wait for your next Legolas/Aragon story.
Gimlifan8 chapter 83 . 6/5/2013
Well, the latest reviewer, guest, was me. The problem is: you mentioned Sauron musing once that there was only one elf in his dungeons. That was a mistake then? I really hope Legolas met his father in Mandos in this universe. Do these elves go to Valinor later?
Guest chapter 83 . 6/5/2013
One thing: The elf that was described in The Host, is that Thranduil then? He's one of my favorite and I felt pretty bad about him...
On the chapter: Unbelievably good! Just as the rest of the story. The ending was perfect. What else would the future depend on if not the next generation? Aragorn has become such a great and selfless ruler, as he should be. Eowyn...'why does that not surprise me?' As a Legolas fan, I can see how Aragorn has him to thank for this as well, as his guardian was the one to rescue his future wife from Helm's Deep.
Thank you for mentioning Ciaran and Gimli. It's sad that Gimli has to travel alone now, his friend not by his side. As for Ciaran, I loved the little scene about him bringing the flower straight to Legolas. Really, Aragorn shouldn't envy him. He had lost first Kinnale, then Legolas, finally Janor. He deserves to have his mother by his side, just as Aragorn has Eowyn and the others. But I guess even kings can be selfish sometimes.
Of course, Aragorn is still selfish about Legolas, and still doesn't understand him fully, or even mostly. "I owe you everything but find I can now give you nothing but my love and respect in return." Shows the relation between parents and their children. This line was a touch of genius, for me!
Is the name 'Eldarion' a tribute of respect for Legolas and the other Eldars? Is the people of Gondor, and especially Faramir, respecting Legolas now? Will there be a sequel? Will Aragorn go to Mirkwood even once? Please let me know. Thank you for an awesome ride!
Vanwa Lullaby chapter 83 . 5/29/2013
Oh goodness. Somehow it escaped my knowledge that you had posted the last chapter and I just found out today.
But oh my, it's over! After years I can't relieve you finally finished this masterpiece! You did a truly wonderful job and I can't wait to see what you have for us next.
Until next time, Vanwa.
Wood Elf luver chapter 83 . 5/29/2013
Sorry I haven't reviewed in a while...I haven't been on Fanficiton too much lately, and only got to read the last chapter because I was wondering what had happened while I had been offline, for like, two months. I read the last chapter, not even reading some of the chapters, read this one, and without even reading the last few chappies, I still got it. I was waiting for Aragorn to go see Legolas's grave again, believe it or not. But you made it so sad...I love it! I can't wait to read more of your stories, and I bet they're even better than this one (though that will be pretty tough to beat!). Well, loved this story a lot, had fun reading it and following the story, and getting teary-eyed when characters that I loved died and getting happy when they won the battles...I really got into this story. I guess I'm a little over dramatic at times, but I can't help it, I loved this story! Keep up the great writing! :)
lolly pop3 chapter 83 . 5/24/2013
It's over... I can't believe it's all over! What an incredible journey you've taken us on! That was one of the most well written, original and incredible pieces of fanfic I think I've ever read. It's been a long journey, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it and I really hope you continue writing such amazing stories.
I really admire your bravery in taking on such a huge story and for some of the directions you've taken (I still can't quite believe you killed Legolas off...) but its just made this such a good read that kept me seriously guessing for the most part! The final battle was awesome, and it was a really cruel twist that Sauron used Thranduil as a vessel, didn't see that one coming! I'm a bit sad that no Elves made an appearance, but I guess it fits much more with the story and it would have perhaps been a bit weird to have then just pop up in the end. I hope Gimli finds some Dwarves though!
I feel like the final chapter was a perfect ending. I really appreciate that you had Aragorn go and have a chat with Legolas, it felt like you brought everything full circle in the end, and like I said, perfect ending!
I have nothing but the highest praise for this story and can't wait to see what you'll follow it up with, some of the ideas/in-progress synopsises on your bio sound intriguing, so I'll definitely look forward to whatever you do next!

Thank you for writing this awesome story and providing us readers with a fantastic, emotional fic!
Gimlifan8 chapter 83 . 5/23/2013
I've read some bits...and I think I'm going to cry when I read the whole thing. So I'm putting it off for now. Not even a glimpse of Legolas for Aragorn? Cruel, but realistic. Just as the rest. I'll tell you my thoughts later.
Shirley Wilbur chapter 83 . 5/22/2013
What a wonderful, well written, well plotted, story! I am so sorry it has ended - the way it should, and with style, but I will miss reading the next chapter. I really was sorry Legolas had to die - it would have been so nice for him to see the return of stars, and the natural balance being restored. However, I certainly understand that he probably needed to. After all, he would have nothing to live for once his vow had been completed. And I am assuming the chance to sail was long gone. None the less, I was sorry to see him go.

Very well done story! The main reason I have kept coming to this web site. You really should offer it in printed form. It would be a nice book, one that would be a good addition to LOTR fiction and one that would be nice to re-read at one's whim.

Thank you so much for the enjoyment I have received looking forward to, and reading, your story.

Now, for your next one -?