Reviews for Life with the Shortmans
Goldenbutterfly chapter 2 . 4/23
How you ended it with the one liner there was priceless. That IS some potent stuff!
Goldenbutterfly chapter 1 . 4/23
Hello. First time reading this. Love the whole "Hey Arnold!" Series so I went back to it after a while of working and saw people swarming to your story.

Btw, you have a great sense of writing.

Anyways, I'll just comment here and wait to comment again at latest; or close to the latest chapter. So here I go with my thoughts on this (you may skip this if you like):

Amanda - The little shrimp actually has a good punch there. My Gawd, did everyone inherit Helga's strength?!
Phil - Not as fast as your Dad, eh Shortman? Nice of 'your parents' to have thought up that particular name. Also, yeah, that conscience thing does get annoying sometimes. Try to make friends with it, though, since it can save your butt. OH wait, maybe your Dad has that covered in some future 'talk'. lol
Zack - I actually spoiled myself by seeing the fanart/comics of this guy in particular (but at least that got me coming here lol!...No, no, not because of the nude scene...) interacting with his dad, mostly. I really do hope I see something of his Dad in him, too.

That's all. I like to read good stories so much that I go through them within 1 or 3 days, tops. Depending how busy I am, I might actually get a chance to comment later in the near future. Ain't that nice? Well, have a good day/night!
puffball17 chapter 29 . 4/9
NICE TRY, COLDBLUE! trying to lure me in to a false sense of security appealing to my ego, are ya? WELL, I'M NOT FALLING FOR IT! YOUR EVIL, I SAY! EVIL!

Yay, Singers back with a new chapter! Sorry it took me so long to review. I was sick with a fever of 102 and spend most of the last week or so sleeping. Then my mom got me the Sims 4 to help me feel better and that really hasn't helped me get to my to-do list any faster.

Oh, deer lord! The sewer king's still alive?! My god he's never going away is he? Of course not... Even after he dies he'll just take his place among the many phantoms that inhabit Hillwood. Oh no, now I'm going to spend the rest of the day daydreaming about A.J. and Marcus dragging Ilsa and Ingrid down into the sewer to investigate the origins of the urban legend 'The Phantom of the Sewer King', who is said to have been eaten alive by the very rats he once ruled over. Ingrid would be talking tuff like 'There's no such things as ghosts, you idiots!' but then at the first unexplained noise she jumps like a foot and screams her head off. Isla would be more scared of the rats- well, she would be if she weren't so preoccupied with worrying about getting her shoes dirty. CRAP, it's started already! Seriously, I need to stop!

Ahhh, and we start off right away with the complete pandemonium that is dinner at the Shortman house- fights, food fight, screaming, laughing, Phil. I don't now why I find it all so satisfying. for some reason I just feel most at home in complete chaos... I'm not sure what that says about me, but...

GOD DANM IT, with the teasing, already! I mean, my god! What is with Josh and this pendent he's got? and not to mention his rapidly changing personality? He's happy, but he's angry, now he's angsty... I MUST KNOW MORE! You do this on purpose! Even though you know it's going to be forever till Ham's chapters. Your evil. I hate you.

YAY! More chaos at the grocery store! Where are you from, by the way, that they call a grocery store 'a grocery'? This seriously takes me back to my childhood. The unending boredom that was a visit to the grocery store with my mother. It was agony, indeed.

The contrast between Amanda and Helga; and Elli and Patty is perfect. Elli not liking Amanda at first is just perfect. I can't wait to find out more about the origins between these two.

OMG! Kate! I love her! Singr, seriously, you need to stop making so many lovable characters! Keeping my top 100 favorite character list organized is becoming impossible! Seriously, though, she's fuckin adorable, and it's not just because of the world's desperate need for more trans representation, I sincerely am in love with this girl. She's sassy and sarcastic and yet still shy and bashful. Do we get to see more of her? Tell me her and Zack date for a while, please! What's her birth name? Who are her parents? What's her favorite color? Do you think she would be my friend? Can I have her number?

Oh, so teasing me about Ham wasn't enough to satisfy you? Gotta start teasing me about Phil's backstory, now? Of course! Sara's not in this chapter. GOTTA GET YOUR FIX SOMEWHERE, DON'T YA!... Hate you, so much.

I loved this whole chapter. All the big brotherness tword Amanda is adorable. Phil getting all over protective makes me smile, and the whole scene with Josh and 'Manda in the car is precise, and so is Zack springing into action when he heard that Amanda was sad. The Whole chapter felt very... balanced? if that makes sense? I fell like it had the perfect amount of everything that I love about this story. The family-ness, the chaos-ness, the awesome-ness, the cute-ness and the appearances of amazing side characters. Awesome chapter! I feel very satisfied.

Okay, question time! I know we already did this with Phoebe, but Patty has always been one of my favorite characters, so I have to ask. What's her job? has it been said? It made sense when found out Arnold was a teacher because in the original series he teaches so many people in so many episodes, and Patty does the same in a lot of her episodes, so I was half expecting her to be the preschool teacher. Wait, does she even have a job? I know her and Harold have money problems even though they only have one child (that I know of). Is she just a stay at home mom?
cocoachips chapter 29 . 4/3
Arnold and Helga need to remember to lock their doors(/)
I wonder any of their other kids have walked in on them?
Jamesbondfan2016 chapter 29 . 4/3
Oh, that was great! Keep writing! I love the way you portray Arnold and Helga's marriage. You make it so real and so them! Keep going!
Helga's parenting skills are on point xD but really though I love the distinctive characteristics in Helga and Arnold's parenting,how he's the more rational/patient one compared to her and she's the "brash" one. They really mesh together. c:

and it seems like the "passion" in their relationship hasn't diminished at all (/)
acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 29 . 4/2
Wow, this was excellent, especially Amanda's scenes. Also nice to see more of Helga and Arnold's dynamics.

Cool touch about bringing the Sewer King back.

Keep the good writing.
metalheadrailfan chapter 29 . 4/2
Good lord, they have more adventures in a single trip to the grocery store than I do when I have work at one practically every single godforsaken day.

And Taro should have "babysister" printed on a business card. XD
coldblue chapter 28 . 10/18/2014
I HATE OCTOBER WITH COLLEGE MID-TERMS AND PAPERS! Seriously, they were designed by Satan to make people miserable neat AWESOME holidays near Hollween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break!

To puffball17

Love the comic of you made with "Life with the Shortmans" with Arnold talking to Zack about his frustration Pam, while accidently flashy Pam, mentally scaring Phil seeing Zack naked, Ham just laughing and Arnold being frustrated with Zack. Just awesome and I concede to you being SuprSingr Number 1 fan for "Life with the Shortmans".

Though for the record: I DON'T SLITHER! I crawl and rise again! You maybe the Number #1 fan for SuprSingr, BUT I WILL COMMENT BEFORE YOU AGAIN! This I Swear!

This chapter was great.

Phil and Sara interaction in this chapter:

A strange friendship has been formed with Sara and Phil after all the uncomfortable talking and incidents. Really, I love Sara character more and more. Sort a reminds me of sister in SOME ways, but not because she more outgoing. Still Sara is a great character and good TRUE friend for Phil. It seems they have some strange friendship that entertaining like Ham and Koir or possible Zack and Pam, but that last one I'm confused because I think Zack is some weird love/attractive Triangle with Sophie and Pam. Still bravo. Sara and Phil are helping each other- Sara being more open with others. Phil become less of spaz and angry person in some ways. They are great friends.

Zack and Sophie:

Wow, I did not expect Sophie insecurity to rise in this chapter. I think Sophie is general afraid of losing Zack as a Boyfriend and friend, because she not close with a lot of people her age being her family members are Secret Agents/Spy's for who knows who. Still, making out in a Port a Potty with Zack at a Concert? That is both the most romantic and weirdly private way to express with someone with Teenagers. Either that or in the Parking lot and making out in the Car if you had one.

Questions

1) Is Christopher father Torvald and Torvald left because he was emotional scared to be bad dad because his wife/girlfriend left him and Chris?

2) Is the Chapter reveal Ham crush going to appear soon?

3) What will Dolly do now that she heard and saw Phil and Sara having strangely good time for emotional day?

Suggestions

1) Yeah, this was not my idea, but ANOTHER reviewer. I don't know who this reviewer was, BUT they were SO right. The image of Chris reminds me of Torvald in some strange ways. It would make so MUCH SENSE!

Torvald in "Hey Arnold!" would make sense. He was not that smart and had some insecurities for letting his family down. Torvald wife/girlfriend leaving him would cause some emotional damage. Torvald scared to be hurt INSIDE emotional for being a Big and Strong, so in order to not hurt HIMSELF and his family he tries to distant himself to NOT get hurt.

It made some sense.

2) Seriously. I want to know who Ham crush is. I got some ideas, but really I want YOUR image of Joshua 'Ham' Shortman crush!

Ideas on Ham crush being:

1. A girl in College that mature, smart, confident and makes Ham feel inferior.
2. A girl in High School that relatively unknown, but Ham saw something in this girl that made him CRUSH so hard that he continued to observe her. Ham just never knew how to introduce himself to this girl or talk to her.
3. Someone who is CLOSE to the Shortman family that he afraid of screwing up whatever image he has with this girl. Sort a like Helga was with Arnold, but instead of a strong girl who bullies Arnold, Ham just acts like friendly or Hamish.

Just some ideas to get an idea of who Ham has a crush on and why he so shy to reveal his feelings to this Mysterious Crush.

3) Dolly is not like Brainy and is not going to take this lying down. I don't what she will do, but it will be a incident. Not something crazy, but something to be remember and cause something to happen in Phil and Sara life. Maybe just Phil, because she has a super crush/obsession for Phil Shortman.

Keep up the good work and thanks for updating. Sorry for the late review.
NerdilyNi chapter 28 . 10/15/2014
Gah, okay, so I'll leave a more encompassing review later if I get around to it because I should be writing a screenplay and studying for my midterm tomorrow but I read this chapter instead. I seriously love it. Seriously, I loved how fleshed out Sara got in this chapter, and how we see the beginnings of the Zack and Sophie (Zophie?, Sack?, Zaphie?, Sock?) dynamic. Beautimous. :D

Thinking of costumes, I don't know if it's scary enough, but I could see Phil as Slenderman because it's easy, pretty scary, and gives him an excuse to not talk to anyone. I could also see Zack doing a cutesy couples costume with Sophie, like Sandy and Danny from Grease. For some reason I also got a couples (but like friend couple, you know?) idea for Kori and Ham as Katniss and Peeta from The Hunger Games, and Amanda could really be anything. Like an angel or a princess or a lion cub or Dorothy or a unicorn or a doctor or supergirl or something.

I mean I going as a Princess to hand out candy to muskets and then Poison Ivy while my friend is Harley Quinn so I'm not always the most creative :P
zeplinflx chapter 28 . 10/14/2014
LOVE IT
puffball17 chapter 28 . 10/9/2014
okay, first off, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MY THANK YOU! -and I'm just going to stop it right there cuz I know if I let myself gush it's going to turn in to 'No, thank YOU so much for YOUR thank you for my thanks for your thank you of my thanks!' and it will just go on and on like that till one of us finally snaps like 'JUST SAY YOUR WELCOME ALREADY YOU BITCH!' and the other one ends up dead... so, your well come. :)

YES! I coldblue hasn't commented yet! (unless the review hasn't actually shown up yet. but still-) MWAHAHAHA! I WIN! YES COLDBLUE RUN! HIDE! SLITHER BACK INTO YOUR HOLE, WITH YOUR TAIL BETWEEN YOUR LEGS AND NEVER COME BACK! HAHAHAHA!... I kinda miss him, don't you...

wow, omg, I don't know where to start with this one. I feel like so little happened and yet so much at the same time.

oh, Gerald's a cop... I never really thought about what his job could have been.

Aww, crying Phil. AW! Baby swimming 'manda. AW! Group-Hug Pool Party! oh, god, my poor heart strings...

Wally love's you! all you little boy's and girls! and also Josh! Why is every peace of dirt Zack has on Ham absolutely brilliant. pink rob, mono-brow plucking, and now whatever the hell WALLY means -pfft! maybe that's who his shrine is for. WALLY SHRINE! I'm just kidding. I already know who the shrine is for! but of course that's because I got one BIG clue that no one else got, 'sept Panfla prolly. but, still, knowing something no one else knows is... well, it's just plain fun! 'specially since I know Coldblue doesn't know. HA! TAKE THAT- oh, that's right he's not here... *sigh*

"Hiding from your problems doesn't make them magically disappear." oh, really? what's going on with that box in your closet? that disappear yet? though, the shoebox it's self has prolly been upgraded to a lead-lined safe by now...

AW! ZackxSophie date! AW! Puppy love under the tree! AW! Port-a-potty make-out sessio- WAIT! PORT-A-POTTY MAKE-OUT SESSION!? Damn, Sophie! just,... DAMN!

Dolly! Poor Dolly! I knew it was destined to happen at some point but, still!

dude, we learned so much about Sara in this... I don't even know. I relate to Sara so much! "I'm quiet, I don't contradict people, so my image ends up being very malleable. I can be twisted into whatever anyone want me to be." story of my life... well, somewhat. some time's I'm like that and then other time's I'm louder and more opinionated, like Sara but also more like Phil style wise. cuz when I do feel the need to share something it's probably because it's something important or serious to me or something I'm really passionate about... but, because I'm so 'malleable' (perfect word. you know how long I've been looking for that word?) I naturally assume I'm not going to be taken seriously so I tend to over accentuate, which just makes me sound like I'm just over exaggerating... which is SO PHIL! I feel like I'm just an amalgamation od Sara and phi- OMG! I just figured it out. SuprSingr I... I think I'm Sara and Phil's daughter from the future! It all makes sense now!

seriously now, you have this thing you do where you leave little hints about the characters- okay they aren't really HINTS really, more like things that make you go 'OmG, I never would have guessed there was a backstory reason for that!' I'm not even sure you do it on purpose. probably just that you know the characters so you know how they're going to react in a such-and-such situation and your not going to leave thing out just because the reasons behind it haven't become story-relevant enough to share yet. OR! this could be a symptom of the I-know-something-you-don't-know virus! (I've heard it's been going around.) but since I've noticed this I've been looking everywhere for it. 'oh, is that a thing? is that one? is there a reason for that thing? Is WALLY a thing?' I'm just torturing myself really. but luckily now I don't have to torture myself BECAUSE YOUR DOING IT FOR ME! :( ugh, the teasing with Sara's back story! your killin' me woman!

PFFFT- Phil... expired condom... perfection-ness... another kid? ahhh, I could take him or leave him Phil. Omg! I'M DEAD! DEAD. dead.

I've been rambling, haven't I? Coldblue's probably posted by now...

okay questions, questions,... ummm, I don't have any... but, I got one right last (doin the I-was-right dance!) time so I feel like I should ask another good one... hmmm. nope totally blanking! day too long, brain too mushy. (which explains the rambling, nonsensically.) okay,... bye!

Best review ever! Nailed it!
acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 28 . 10/8/2014
Hey, wonderful job with Sara and Phil. Yeah, he really has to stop being so paranoid.

Keep the good writing.
metalheadrailfan chapter 28 . 10/8/2014
At Phil is starting to open himself up a bit and that Sara is starting to warm up to him a little bit. Only time will tell. :)
zeplinflx chapter 27 . 10/4/2014
just started reading the story a few days ago and let me tell you... you are the reason for my lack of sleep these past few days and now i have anxiety cuz now i have to wait for the next chapter AAGHH x'D but your story and chapters are amazing! so keep up the good work! I'll be waiting for the next chapter :))))