Reviews for The Duellist
sunsethill chapter 1 . 8/29
This story made good use of Harry's natural talent in DADA and I can easily see this being the thing to jump start Harry out of his complacency. But in a story like this, I also like to know why Draco's actions changed. In canon, this was a set up to get Harry caught by Filch. The story would have been improved by having something happen to make Draco feel he needed to actually show up. Thanks for the fun "what if" story.
"Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh yes. And a thirst to prove yourself."

It's nice to see a Harry that reflects the qualities the Sorting Hat said he had. Rowling certainly didn't write him that way (dumb, lazy, excessively lucky wimp) and neither do many fanfic authors. (Super!Harry, no thanks)

You're absolutely right about Duelling being cooler than Quidditch (crap idea from the outset) and far more useful in whatever altercations come Harry's way. He also won't need professional quality gear to succeed in school-age sport.

I hope someday you'll continue this. I'd certainly read it.
riptocs chapter 1 . 6/19
I really do hope to see this one continued soon!
I love that they stomped Malfoy lol
ews1 chapter 1 . 6/3
Id definitely want to see this built into a full story.
redstickbonbon chapter 1 . 3/6
I really like this story. I had read it before, and only recently found it again. Harry showing an interest, and learning on his own, without Hermione directing him as is common in way too many fics, is a real pleasure to read.

And Hermione's appearance is relatively minor, but you wrote her so well. You might be onto the reason why she was friendless before Hogwarts...no one likes a tattletale. Especially one who demands information, and is bossy and condescending.

Ron's personality was spot on too, I think.
Oooo. Very nice take on it.
Samwise O'Keefe chapter 1 . 2/19
In the books harry is a character who has things done to him.
It's nice to think he might make choices.
RisingDaemon chapter 1 . 2/13
would love for this to turn into a full story

just be sure to make his progress slowish. it's no fun if you skip development.

Rising
rlchala chapter 1 . 1/13
I found myself wishing that this was the path taken by Rowling while writing the midnight duel. For all my love for Harry, he is not very proactive, and his character would've been more "baddass hero" less "angsty teen" if he was portrayed like you wrote him.

It would be awesome if you could expand on this.
Labradorite Moon chapter 1 . 12/13/2014
I really think this should be expanded, it has a lot of potential. A realistic talented!Harry, for one.
Shadowed Violin chapter 1 . 12/3/2014
Very well done. A most interesting start to the story. I look forward to reading more.
OoOXylionOoO chapter 1 . 11/19/2014
This was pretty good :D
sasha1213 chapter 1 . 11/19/2014
Thanks! Awesome story.
The Lightning Bandit chapter 1 . 9/22/2014
I enjoyed this a lot. Found the story through DLP's C2 community. I'd love to see this continued.

The biggest fault that I can spot right off the top of my head is that Harry didn't really feel like a disinterested 11 year old in this story. He jumped far too quickly in dueling practice for 6 hours. Have you ever done anything of your own volition for 6 hours at 11 years old? I'm not sure I have. So in order to fix that you should have given him a strong motive. Harry in year one cares about fitting in and having friends. So you should have motivated him better through that. Perhaps Malfoy could have somehow threatened the developing friendship between Ron and Harry somehow. And that would have given Harry the motivation and desire to do anything to win. I also feel like you should have focused more on Harry's nerves at the beginning of the duel. Did Harry and Ron ever talk about the customs before and after a duel? It didn't seem like it.

So at the beginning of the duel it would have been better for you to mention about how uneasy Harry felt. Not sure what the next step was, when all he wanted to do was hex malfoy. Describe how the anger and nerves are making his hands slightly shake. These are important details that would make this oneshot feel more like the characters are 11.
WriteImagineInspire chapter 1 . 8/13/2014
I like it, though I think you should keep at it. This is my first review.